A-level algorithm leaked

Guest rael

pelmetman - 2020-08-18 8:02 AM

rael - 2020-08-17 6:02 PM

{M@k3_5UR3_tH3_pO5h_k1d5_get-1st_ch01ce_of-un15}

Which just goes to show those clever clogs at Ofqual with DEGREES are either educational snobs or incompetent >:-) ..........

What about Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings cronies who have secretly been given an unknown amount of your money to do this ? https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/20/firm-linked-to-gove-and-cummings-hired-to-work-with-ofqual-on-a-levels

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2020-08-19 2:05 PM

John52 - 2020-08-19 12:46 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 9:56 AM

John52 - 2020-08-19 9:41 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-19 6:20 AM

rael - 2020-08-18 8:53 PM

Just in case some of you didn't notice my OP was a joke.

Unless you've been in a school recently, you won't really understand the pressure our youngsters are put under these days. I did my schooling and exams in the late 70s and it was easy. I didn't get very good grades but you didn't need them. I could have got into teaching with 5 O'levels in 79! The standards have been raised so high that if you got an A in the seventies you'd probably be struggling to get a pass today. And what's wrong with wanting to go to university? Is it wrong to have aspirations? I'd say the majority of the folk on here are comfortably well off, we all have motorhomes (or why would we be here?) so we must have go incomes. Spare a thought for the generation that will probably never have the opportunity to have a mortgage, have been made redundant because of Corona with no jobs on the horizon, never have a workplace pension, and heaven forbid, will never have a motorhome! lets not all get self-righteous about this, its a s**t time to be young. At least the chance of going to university or starting as an apprentice is something for the youngsters to aim for, is it such a crime?

"its a s**t time to be young" ... History has had many times when its been a "s**t time to be young" ... Lets not on top of everything go all Noel Coward ... In the early 80s going to university or getting an apprenticeship was unheard of for my group of buddies, that hasn't stopped many of us getting on with it and doing quite well

There are many reasons why things were easier for young people then

Like the affordability of housing - with Thatcher selling our houses off very cheap leading to the housing crisis we have today. Easy money to be made when she was selling our power and water supplies too.

You could even make good money in building society accounts - paying above the rate of inflation with a windfall when they demutualised, leading to the financial crisis.

with £100+ in each I got them all.

Didn't agree with it and voted against it, but since I couldn't stop it and somebody was going to get a free windfall, I figured it might as well be me.

Wheras youngsters saving for a house deposit today have nowhere safe to put their money where it won't be eroded by inflation.

Real jobs still available too - not the gig economy crap that doesn't even cover rents that we have now.

More LLLLB rubbish *-) ..........

You can buy a house in LLLLB La La Land aka Liverpool for a quid >:-) .............

Mad Hatters solved the housing crisis now

The homeless can all move to Wonderland and buy a house for a quid *-)

Lefty run Liverpool is a perfect example of how they would solve a housing crisis >:-) .........

Make the place so revolting no one with any sense would want live there 8-) .........

You should tell the homeless in Liverpool where they can buy a house for a quid *-)

Now the number of passes has soared as BoJo seeks to avoid the political embarrassment of mass appeals, and an investigation into Gove & Cummins cronies who were secretly given unknown amounts of your money

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/20/gcse-results-proportion-of-entries-with-highest-grades-soars

Common sense would suggest less students would achieve the standard when they have missed their tutoring

So how much have exam standards been debased to avoid ministers being held to account?

John52 - 2020-08-20 11:12 AM

Now the number of passes has soared as BoJo seeks to avoid the political embarrassment of mass appeals, and an investigation into Gove & Cummins cronies who were secretly given unknown amounts of your money

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/20/gcse-results-proportion-of-entries-with-highest-grades-soars

Common sense would suggest less students would achieve the standard when they have missed their tutoring

So how much have exam standards been debased to avoid ministers being held to account?

School children of every age have missed out on six months of education this year, which can never be recovered.

It was their misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Through no fault of their own, a choice had to be made on how to assess the abilities of those who were unable to sit for exams

Choice one was to apply results generated by an electronic machine which new nothing about any of the children.

It was seen early on that this method would unfairly give some of the children a good kicking.

Choice two was to apply results estimated by school staff who knew well the abilities of the children.

It was acknowledged that some childrens ability would be overestimated.

Clearly, those who put the establishments priority of avoiding ' grade inflation' to their ( pre-Covid ) system before the welfare of the children, would choose option one.

Those who put the welfare of the children first - and not considering ' grade inflation ' to be a major disaster - would choose option two.

:-(

malc d - 2020-08-20 11:58 AM

Getting a pass they wouldn't have otherwise got is not misfortune

So they were in the right place at the right time.

Option 3 could have been to restrict the number of passes they could give out

John52 - 2020-08-20 12:19 PM

I think your option three would only be considered in a Communist state ( although it could have happened under option one where the system gave out awards in line with previous years in other schools).

:-|

We are in “the least worst option” territory now and for that reason you maybe right Malc. However, I can’t help thinking that anyone’s A level grades obtained in 2020 will be forever suspect as an indicator of a student’s true ability or achievement. Whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing, I would say that things might have been better had the teachers who made the assessments been forced from the outset to moderate their predictions based on previous performance at their school and to justify any improvement by reference to specific evidence. It is perhaps also time to impress upon these students that most of them will have the rest of their lives to get over the effects of the pandemic upon them personally whereas that was not an option for those whose lives have been cut tragically short and their families.

malc d - 2020-08-20 12:22 PM

John52 - 2020-08-20 12:19 PM

I think your option three would only be considered in a Communist state

Isn't that what the Law Society do?

Violet1956 - 2020-08-20 1:15 PM

hindsight is a wonderful thing, .

The Government has had 5 months to prepare

Now the education standards have been lowered so politicians can save face.

But at least we are used to the interests of the Tory party being put before the interests of the country :-S

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-20 1:31 PM

hindsight is a wonderful thing, .

The Government has had 5 months to prepare

Now the education standards have been lowered so politicians can save face.

But at least we are used to the interests of the Tory party being put before the interests of the country :-S

Ol Fishface had even longer to prepare >:-) ............

So what's her excuse Joke52? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.8d9f591d1972cfd7d1c3d7acae734626.jpg

We are in “the least worst option” territory now and for that reason you maybe right Malc. However, I can’t help thinking that anyone’s A level grades obtained in 2020 will be forever suspect as an indicator of a student’s true ability or achievement. Whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing, I would say that things might have been better had the teachers who made the assessments been forced from the outset to moderate their predictions based on previous performance at their school and to justify any improvement by reference to specific evidence. It is perhaps also time to impress upon these students that most of them will have the rest of their lives to get over the effects of the pandemic upon them personally whereas that was not an option for those whose lives have been cut tragically short and their families.

I would agree that it may be the least worst option.

So far this year the adults have given our children Brexit ( which MAY well have an adverse affect on their future prospects) - then nature has given then a pandemic which has taken them out of full time education for six months ( which may also affect their future prospects).

The government has had to cancel their chances of showing what they can do in exams - and they were told they would individually be judged on their abilities by a machine.

Fortunately that plan was cancelled - and replaced by being judged by people who know them. Those people may well have exagerated their abilities but I see no fairer way of doing it.

Now some adults are complaining that some average ability children may have been told they are clever - some clever children have been very clever.

So what - there has been no effect on the stock market - or GDP - or house prices - so I say why not give 'em a break.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-20 4:49 PM

So far this year the adults have given our children Brexit ( which MAY well have an adverse affect on their future prospects) - then nature has given then a pandemic which has taken them out of full time education for six months ( which may also affect their future prospects).

The government has had to cancel their chances of showing what they can do in exams - and they were told they would individually be judged on their abilities by a machine.

Fortunately that plan was cancelled - and replaced by being judged by people who know them. Those people may well have exagerated their abilities but I see no fairer way of doing it.

Now some adults are complaining that some average ability children may have been told they are clever - some clever children have been very clever.

So what - there has been no effect on the stock market - or GDP - or house prices - so I say why not give 'em a break.

Blimey you think even more kids ending up with Degreets and 50k debt is the least worst option? 8-) ..........

Your not a ex university lecturer are you Malc? :D ...........

pelmetman - 2020-08-20 4:55 PM

Blimey you think even more kids ending up with Degreets and 50k debt is the least worst option? 8-) ..........

I suspect there’s much to be gained by telling kids they are smart - self-fulfilling prophecy an’ all. If you had been told you that you were smart when you were kicking over the traces in school Dave you might not have developed that chip on your shoulder. We are all smart in different ways, our past and current state educational systems still fail to recognise that.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2020-08-20 5:15 PM

I suspect there’s much to be gained by telling kids they are smart - self-fulfilling prophecy an’ all. If you had been told you that you were smart when you were kicking over the traces in school Dave you might not have developed that chip on your shoulder. We are all smart in different ways, our past and current state educational systems still fail to recognise that.

Blimey if you think I have a chip on my shoulder because I had a cr*p education you could not be more wrong 8-) ...........

I regularly count my blessings that I didn't get a bog standard education ;-) ..........

I prolly would have had a boring life if I had :D .........

Eh?

UK Stock market has not recovered like the rest of the developed world.

UK fall in GDP is highest in the G7

But you are right about House Prices - most youngsters are still consigned to Generation Rent. :-(

John52 - 2020-08-20 6:05 PM

Eh?

UK Stock market has not recovered like the rest of the developed world.

UK fall in GDP is highest in the G7

But you are right about House Prices - most youngsters are still consigned to Generation Rent. :-(

If you believe that the estimated exam grades announced in the last few weeks have affected the stock market, GDP and house prices - I reckon you should change to drinking something else.

:-D

There were two options Dave : Guessing exam results by machine - or estimating exam results by teachers.

I'm saying that, of those two options, I believe that estimating by teachers was the preferred option.

How on earth you can link the choice between those two options with a 50K debt - ( when the subject of Universities wasn't mentioned ) I have no idea - but I would guess that you have just completely lost the plot, and don't understand the subject.

;-)

malc d - 2020-08-20 9:20 PM]

If you believe that the estimated exam grades announced in the last few weeks have affected the stock market, GDP and house prices

Give it time. Dumbing down exam standards to protect incompetent politicians isn't going to make UK more competitive.

We can't compete with the likes of Cambodia on price, so we need to compete with the likes of Germany on quality and innovation. For that we need education.

malc d - 2020-08-20 9:32 PM

I would guess that you have just completely lost the plot, and don't understand the subject.

;-)

Nah - he lost the plot a long time ago. :-S

And if he understood the subject he wouldn't need to keep changing it to dog waste bins, the limit of his intelligence :-S

Guest pelmetman

There were two options Dave : Guessing exam results by machine - or estimating exam results by teachers.

I'm saying that, of those two options, I believe that estimating by teachers was the preferred option.

How on earth you can link the choice between those two options with a 50K debt - ( when the subject of Universities wasn't mentioned ) I have no idea - but I would guess that you have just completely lost the plot, and don't understand the subject.

;-)

So all those kids aren't trying to get into university? ;-) ...........

So why are the universities saying their suasage machines cant cope with the influx? >:-) .........

Seems to me its you who has LOST the plot :D .........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-20 9:37 PM

malc d - 2020-08-20 9:20 PM]

If you believe that the estimated exam grades announced in the last few weeks have affected the stock market, GDP and house prices

Give it time. Dumbing down exam standards to protect incompetent politicians isn't going to make UK more competitive.

We can't compete with the likes of Cambodia on price, so we need to compete with the likes of Germany on quality and innovation. For that we need education.

Nope.......we need apprentiships ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 10:04 AM

;-)

So why are the universities saying their suasage machines cant cope with the influx? >:-) .........

I can see you are struggling to understand the subject Dave so I'll try to explain.

The subject is the best way to asses the ability of people if they can't take an exam.

The grades that people get - whether they are students,( or apprentices ) - are very important for their future prospects - whether they want to go on to University , or not.

SO - it is very important that the grades are ' fair '.

This thread is about the best choice - - assessing abilities by machine - or teachers / tutors.

If you want to discuss your disdain for Universities, and everyone in them, why not start a thread on that subject.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-21 3:27 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 10:04 AM

;-)

I can see you are struggling to understand the subject Dave so I'll try to explain.

The subject is the best way to asses the ability of people if they can't take an exam.

The grades that people get - whether they are students,( or apprentices ) - are very important for their future prospects - whether they want to go on to University , or not.

SO - it is very important that the grades are ' fair '.

This thread is about the best choice - - assessing abilities by machine - or teachers / tutors.

If you want to discuss your disdain for Universities, and everyone in them, why not start a thread on that subject.

;-)

Nice knit picking Malc ;-) ........

Kinda thinking I may have finally found out what you did for a living? :D .......

Thanks for the edgermercation :-D .......

But I fear it's a bit late now (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 3:48 PM

Nice knit picking Malc ;-) ........

Thanks for the edgermercation :-D .......

But I fear it's a bit late now (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Interesting to see that you regard anyone explaining facts to you as " knit-picking ".

I can see why you struggled with education.

I reckon all your teachers were given the day off to go down the pub and celebrate when you left school.

;-)

malc d - 2020-08-22 10:11 AM

I can see why you struggled with education.

;-)

can you see why he resents those with degrees but worships BoJo who has got one?

Because I can't, and its no use asking him because he makes no sense.

Archived