Ducato, Boxer, Relay wiper blades.

Brian Kirby

My 2021 X290 RHD is about the same clearance - with about 1 cm of free play at the tips of both blades. Same as my X250 which had a new wiper motor and mechanism recently (I was looking at the old motor and mechanism to confirm there is no adjustment.) If there is much more free play than 1 cm I guess the mechanism needs replacing before the joints pop out and your wipers stop working.

1128694776_X290wipers.thumb.jpg.3e10c49b09930a722a86e72e2a7350a6.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hans - 2021-11-15 6:23 PM

Does the RHD OR LHD have different positions On the wind screen?

Yes Hans, the RHD and LHD wiper arrangements are, effectively, mirror images of each other with the cranked arm changing sides with its crank handed, and with the longer and shorter blades swapping sides.

Also (as mentioned earlier in this discussion) the original wiper blades fitted to a LHD vehicle may well be unsuitable for the same model in RHD and vice versa..

With X250/X290 Ducatos - although the lengths of the original blades are 550mm (passenger side) and 650mm (driver side) for LHD and RHD models - the shape of the aerodynamic ‘spolier’ that forms the blade’s top surface differs according to whether the blade has been designed for a LHD or RHD Ducato.

Various type of wiper blade are described here

https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/wiper-blade-types

How effective a spoiler actually is may be debatable, but if the ‘wrong’ wiper blades are fitted where the spoiler is back-to-front, it’s most unlikely that this will provide superior performance to the ‘right’ blades that have their spoiler in the correct orientation.

(What’s with the question-mark at the end of every sentence? Doesn’t your keyboard have a full-stop key?)

The use of "aero" wiper blades probably has as much to do with vehicle manufacturers' quests to shave every 0.00001mg they can from their emissions figures, as to any screen wiping benefit?

(Sorry, couldn't resist the question mark. I didn't want to feel left out) (lol)

Derek Uzzell - 2021-11-17 7:45 AM

How effective a spoiler actually is may be debatable, but if the ‘wrong’ wiper blades are fitted where the spoiler is back-to-front, it’s most unlikely that this will provide superior performance to the ‘right’ blades that have their spoiler in the correct orientation.

(What’s with the question-mark at the end of every sentence? Doesn’t your keyboard have a full-stop key?)

It's a forum populated by allegedly normal people - not perfect in every way - it is not an English Language tutorial - do you not understand that?

Adding a question mark to the end of a written sentence is something that we all do (or should do) when the sentence is a direct question seeking a direct answer. This is what you've just done in your last posting and my answer is "Of course I do."

But although your postings are always constructed in coherent grammatical English, you often finish a sentence with a question mark when the sentence is clearly not a question of any sort (eg. the first two sentences of your previous posting) and I'm intrigued as to why you do it.

There's no need for me to provide a punctuation tutorial, as it's all online...

https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/definitions/no-question-about-it/

I should not need to explain, but I will. I often add a question mark when I am unsure of what I am saying, or unsure of what the response might be, so in a way it is a question, although maybe not asked as a dictionary described question?

I appreciate you don't do grey areas - just black or white - but I do wonder why I seem to be the only one to suffer your nit picking critiscims when there are plenty of other postings that you could pick on?

Surely this a topic better suited to Chatterbox?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-17 2:49 PM

Everybody has the odd bad day, Rich, even you!! :-D :-D :-D

Thanks Brian, I seem to get a lot more odd days and bad days these days!

Or is it my imagination?

Meanwile I still don't know if anyone has found any advantage from wipers with spoilers / aerofoils?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-17 3:53 PM

Just be happy, it could be worse - you could have no days! :-)

Very true - every day I wake up I think YIPPEE, I'm happy - now watch some bu##er come along and do their best to spoil it!!

You gotta be alive to grumble!

Tracker - 2021-11-17 3:49 PM

Meanwile I still don't know if anyone has found any advantage from wipers with spoilers / aerofoils?

There are regular reviews of the ‘best’ wiper blades on the market and Bosch “Aerotwin” blades always get high marks. As I’ve said before, Aerotwin blades come in two flavours :-

One type is ‘universal’ and is designed for retro-fitting to a plethora of LHD or RHD vehicles and is supplied with several different wiper-arm connectors. This blade has a symmetrical cross section with a low-height ‘aerofoil’ shaping on each side of its top surface.

The other Aerotwin type is intended for specifically designated vehicles (eg. Ducato X250/X290 models) and - if the OEM blades of those vehicles have a ‘handed’ aerofoil shape - the AeroTwin blade will have a similar ’handed’ aerofoil. Historically, Bosch only marketed this type of AeroTwin blade for LHD Ducatos and, if one wanted Aerotwin blades for RHD Ducatos, the ‘universal’ type was the only choice. More recently, Bosch has begun to market this type of Aerotwin blade for RHD Ducatos.

So it would be possible, nowadays, to compare on a RHD Ducato the performance of Aerotwin blades that have a cross section with a pronounced asymmetrical shape with Aerotwin ‘retro-fit’ blades that have a symmetrical cross section and a reduced aerofoil shape. However, I’m doubtful that doing this would produce reliable results unless the comparioson were done in laboratory conditions.

Logically, if a wiper blade has a pronounced aerofoil and air is passing at high speed over the windscreen, that blade OUGHT to retain better contact with the windscreen glass, than a blade with little or no aerofoil. Continental highlights this in the advertising for their AQUACTRL blades

https://www.continental-aftermarket.com/en-en/products/spare-partsrepair-parts/aquactrl-windshield-wipers/

saying that this has been confirmed in tests involving speeds up to 240kph.

My first experience of wiper blades with aerofoils would have been about 40 years ago when VW fitted an OEM metal-frame blade with a big angled metal wing’ attached to the blade’s top. I don’t recall noticing that this hugely improved wiping performance, but blades were pretty dire back then. I replaced the metal-frame OEM blades wiper blades of my 2005 Ford Transit with ‘flat’ plastic blades and the latter did wipe better - but neither type had any real aerofoil shape. The OEM blades of my LHD Ducato had a pronounced aerofoil cross-section and the Bosch Aerotwin blades I subsequently fitted have a similar cross section. The Bosch blades are about half the price of OEM blades from a Fiat agent and wipe better and quieter. I’ve no idea if fitting ‘universal’ Aerotwin blades would prove less efficient, but it would be a strange thing to do as everything (including years of aeromodelling) tells me that aerofoil Aerotwins SHOULD be superior.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-11-18 10:00 AM

The Bosch blades are about half the price of OEM blades from a Fiat agent and wipe better and quieter. .

Yes I have replaced the OEM blades on my 2021 Ducato with the Bosch Aerotwin blades from your link and the Bosch are noticeably better.

• 5 weeks later...
Derek Uzzell - 2021-11-05 6:57 PM

Wiper blades for Ducato X290 vehicles were discussed in this 2020 forum thread and images showing the two different sorts of Bosch “Aerotwin” blades were attached to my posting of 3 March 2020 6:14 PM. ........................

Yes, I know its an old thread, and it's off topic, so mea maxima culpa, but the car needed new wipers and as I was near Halfords this morning I popped in and, given a choice between Bosch and Halfords products, bought a pair of the Bosch Aero Twin blades.

Now, according to the packaging, Robert Bosch Gmbh of Auf der Breit 4, 76227 Karlsruhe, Germany, has his windscreen wiper blades made in........................................yes, China!

I'm not saying I wouldn't have bought them if I'd spotted that before before buying, but really! How are the mighty fallen! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-17 4:21 PM

Now, according to the packaging, Robert Bosch Gmbh of Auf der Breit 4, 76227 Karlsruhe, Germany, has his windscreen wiper blades made in........................................yes, China!

I'm not saying I wouldn't have bought them if I'd spotted that before before buying, but really! How are the mighty fallen! :-D

As are many of the parts and components of most vehicles on the road today, including "premium" German brands. A car might be built in Germany for example, but that just means its the country where the parts manufactured in China and elsewhere were put together ;-)

Archived