Germany and Covid ...

Birdbrain

pelmetman - 2021-11-09 11:05 AM ...................................

1 Looks to be like the wheels have fallen off the vorsprung durch technik COVID wagon :-| ..........

"The previous record rate of 197.6 was set on December 22, 2020 — a time before vaccines were widely available."

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-covid-incidence-rate-jumps-to-over-200-for-first-time/a-59750534

2 You'd think if they had "actually" managed the Pandemic better, their infection rates would NOT be worse than they were when they had the first wave? *-) ..........

3 So whats their excuse Brian?........

1 Yes, Germany is trying to get its act together to head off a fourth wave.

2 Yes, and no. Germany has a larger population than UK, so, on a like for like basis, should be expected to have more cases than UK, but has, according to Worldometers, had 4,801,149 cases compared to UK's 9,333,891. How to explain that?

On new cases per 100K population, Germany is, as of yesterday (today's figures not yet on Worldometers), 245 compared to UK's 473.

So, on both counts, I don't understand what you're trying to crow about.

3 They don't seem to be offering excuses, Dave. They state the reasons for the surge in the Robert Koch Institute (the source of your link) report, among which is concern that the major spread is in the old east, in Saxony and Thuringia - where vaccination rates are low - and that much of the spread generally is linked to an unwise relaxation of masking and separation rules for schools. But as that is all in your link, I assume you already knew that, so why ask me?

But what I really don't understand is your continuing obsession with Germany. There are 19 countries in Europe with infection rates higher than the UK, so who obsess over one that has a lower infection rate? You're basically stalking Germany, looking for anything that you can find that puts it in a bad light compared to the UK. What on earth is all this about? Some ancient family animosity? It's very unhealthy.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2021-11-09 1:12 PM

pelmetman - 2021-11-09 11:05 AM ...................................

1 Looks to be like the wheels have fallen off the vorsprung durch technik COVID wagon :-| ..........

"The previous record rate of 197.6 was set on December 22, 2020 — a time before vaccines were widely available."

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-covid-incidence-rate-jumps-to-over-200-for-first-time/a-59750534

2 You'd think if they had "actually" managed the Pandemic better, their infection rates would NOT be worse than they were when they had the first wave? *-) ..........

3 So whats their excuse Brian?........

1 Yes, Germany is trying to get its act together to head off a fourth wave.

2 Yes, and no. Germany has a larger population than UK, so, on a like for like basis, should be expected to have more cases than UK, but has, according to Worldometers, had 4,801,149 cases compared to UK's 9,333,891. How to explain that?

On new cases per 100K population, Germany is, as of yesterday (today's figures not yet on Worldometers), 245 compared to UK's 473.

So, on both counts, I don't understand what you're trying to crow about.

3 They don't seem to be offering excuses, Dave. They state the reasons for the surge in the Robert Koch Institute (the source of your link) report, among which is concern that the major spread is in the old east, in Saxony and Thuringia - where vaccination rates are low - and that much of the spread generally is linked to an unwise relaxation of masking and separation rules for schools. But as that is all in your link, I assume you already knew that, so why ask me?

But what I really don't understand is your continuing obsession with Germany. There are 19 countries in Europe with infection rates higher than the UK, so who obsess over one that has a lower infection rate? You're basically stalking Germany, looking for anything that you can find that puts it in a bad light compared to the UK. What on earth is all this about? Some ancient family animosity? It's very unhealthy.

He cannot and never will accept that Germany has a much lower case rate than UK despite you showing him the evidence. It is anathema to him and totally impossible......because inside his warped head he's already decided Germany = bad, UK = brilliant!

His Germanophobia is as manic and unhinged as his obsession with Brexit and Johnson. References to the "Fourth Reich" etc often pepper many of his posts. He fears Germany yet knows sod all about the place or the people.

At least Germany wont need to install those new safety barrier things this year that have popped up at most Christmas markets ... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/10/germany-christmas-market-closures-covid-rates-soar ... I thought according to the sisters Germans follow the rules and listen to advice, summits gone wrong ... Prolly Brexit fault

Guest pelmetman

Haven't you noticed? 8-) ..........

I'm not a fan of the Fourth Reich.......aka EU ;-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2021-11-11 6:23 AM

50.000 cases in the last 24 hours you say ... https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-germany-reports-new-record-high-case-numbers/a-59784133 ... Thats a lot to say Germans respect the rules

Starting to look like it wasn't that they managed the pandemic better than the UK when the first wave hit..........They were just luckier :-| ..........

pelmetman - 2021-11-10 9:10 PM

Germany is physically the largest country in the EU, with the largest population and the largest economy. It also makes the largest contribution to the EU budget, and is one of the five founder members of the EEC. Consequently, it has significant influence on EU policies. However, until Brexit, both France and Italy also made greater contributions to the budget than the UK (because of the UK rebate) so might also be expected to have greater influence than the UK. Of the 751 seats in the European Parliament at 2014, Germany held 96, France 74, UK and Italy 73, and everyone else less than 73 (for instance, next lowest was Spain, with 54 seats).

Simple arithmetic, were you to apply it, would show you that out of the 28 pre-Brexit member states, of which Germany was but one, it is not possible for even Germany to "run" the EEC/EU for its own benefit if doing so resulted, as you imply, in disadvantage to the other 27. Up with that they would not put - and if they so chose could easily override Germany at every level.

I suppose you'll whinge that we contributed more to the budget than we got back. Yes, we did. So too did Germany (nearly twice as much!), France, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, Finland, and Luxemburg. The others, by degrees got back more than they paid in, the largest net beneficiary being Poland. The idea, of course, being to benefit the weaker economies and grow them so that their relative contributions would rise over time to the benefit of overall EU GDP, and through that, all member states. So by leaving, while we have ceased contributing, we have left a King's ransom in the EU coffers to benefit countries whose growth will no longer benefit us. In short, we have made a huge investment, and then walked away from it.

None of which explains why you single out Germany of all the EU member countries for special attention. As demonstrated above, it is an irrational obsession. Why is that?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-11 1:25 PM

Why is that?

A thousand and a thousand are the aphorisms on human stupidity.

A few examples:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

(Albert Einstein)

An intelligent thought falls asleep in a stupid ear.

(William Shakespeare)

Nothing is more dangerous than a fool who grasps an idea, which happens with alarming frequency.

If a fool grasps an idea, he is done: on that he will build a system and force others to share it.

(Ennio Flaiano)

The stupid are not that stupid, they are always in the majority.

(Stanislaw Jerzy Lec)

You are so stupid that when your stupidity has killed you and you are in hell, you will believe you are in heaven.

(Pier Paolo Pasolini)

Of all the miracles of Jesus mentioned in the Gospels, not one refers to the healing of a fool. Stupidity is so incurable.

(Constantin Stoica)

Fundamental laws of stupidity.

1. The number of stupid people is always underestimated.

2. The likelihood of an individual being stupid is independent of any other characteristics of him.

3. The stupid person causes harm to others with no advantage for himself, or even at a disadvantage.

4. The harmful potential of stupid people is always underestimated.

5. Of all kinds of people, stupid people are always the most dangerous.

(Piergiorgio Odifreddi)

We are frustrated. Full of anger. Darwin spoke of instinct, but we are regressing to the age of instinct.

We are the society of homo stupidus stupidus stupidus.

Today only fools can be happy.

(Vittorino Andreoli)

Last but not least ...

He took the IQ test.

All right, he is negative.

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-11 12:25 PM

pelmetman - 2021-11-10 9:10 PM

.......None of which explains why you single out Germany of all the EU member countries for special attention. As demonstrated above, it is an irrational obsession. Why is that?

Brian, your knocking on dead wood. Look at the crackpot reply you got. He's totally unhinged. :-|

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-11 3:43 PM

:-D :-D :-D Do you collect aphorisms, Massimo?

No Bryan, I don't.

I check for some that best describe certain human behaviours when I notice them.

The Internet now contains almost all human knowledge, it is enough to know how to search.

And avoid the fakes ...

pelmetman - 2021-11-11 9:19 AM..................

Starting to look like it wasn't that they managed the pandemic better than the UK when the first wave hit..........They were just luckier :-| ..........

Luckier how? Unless you mean they were luckier with their government.

It is getting away from them now, but the total number of cases shows UK on 9,406,001, and Germany on 4,875,551. Germany 52% of UK cases, and 123% of UK population. How do you explain that great a difference over roughly the same timescale?

See Worldometers here: https://tinyurl.com/4h2jh86w Gawd, even Russia, with twice our population, did better than we have.

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-11-11 2:08 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-11 1:25 PM

Why is that?

A thousand and a thousand are the aphorisms on human stupidity.

A few examples:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

(Albert Einstein)

An intelligent thought falls asleep in a stupid ear.

(William Shakespeare)

Nothing is more dangerous than a fool who grasps an idea, which happens with alarming frequency.

If a fool grasps an idea, he is done: on that he will build a system and force others to share it.

(Ennio Flaiano)

The stupid are not that stupid, they are always in the majority.

(Stanislaw Jerzy Lec)

You are so stupid that when your stupidity has killed you and you are in hell, you will believe you are in heaven.

(Pier Paolo Pasolini)

Of all the miracles of Jesus mentioned in the Gospels, not one refers to the healing of a fool. Stupidity is so incurable.

(Constantin Stoica)

Fundamental laws of stupidity.

1. The number of stupid people is always underestimated.

2. The likelihood of an individual being stupid is independent of any other characteristics of him.

3. The stupid person causes harm to others with no advantage for himself, or even at a disadvantage.

4. The harmful potential of stupid people is always underestimated.

5. Of all kinds of people, stupid people are always the most dangerous.

(Piergiorgio Odifreddi)

We are frustrated. Full of anger. Darwin spoke of instinct, but we are regressing to the age of instinct.

We are the society of homo stupidus stupidus stupidus.

Today only fools can be happy.

(Vittorino Andreoli)

Last but not least ...

He took the IQ test.

All right, he is negative.

A ****head........Is a Dick with a Head......

He's educated......He's earned the right to be stupid........

Orignality that is found in original thought .........Is a far better reflection of the person..... than that borrowed from other folk.......because it shows you lack the inteligence to have a original thought >:-) .........

Just sayin (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

(Copyright,,,,,Pelmetman 2021)

pelmetman - 2021-11-11 7:43 PM

Orignality that is found in original thought .........Is a far better reflection of the person..... than that borrowed from other folk.......because it shows you lack the inteligence to have a original thought >:-) .........

The perfect explanation of your behaviour Pelmethead

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-11 8:40 PM

The perfect example of your lack of original thought ;-) .........

You had to borrow one >:-) .......

(lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-11-11 8:44 PM

Having " original thoughts " is not necessarily a sign of intelligence.

It depends on what the thought is.

Your most memorable thought was that ' education is a waste of time ' -

That's quite original, not a lot of people have come up with that one.

;-)

pelmetman - 2021-11-11 8:43 PM

Isn't it said that the first hen that sings laid an egg ?

This is mine and not borrowed:

I still do not understand who, although aware of belonging to the lower or at most to the middle employment class, continues to vote for those who enjoy sticking it in the ass.

It even rhymes and it's an amazing example of human stupidity.

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-11-12 10:21 AM

pelmetman - 2021-11-11 8:43 PM

This is mine and not borrowed:

I still do not understand who, although aware of belonging to the lower or at most to the middle employment class, continues to vote for those who enjoy sticking it in the ass.

That's a bit rich isn't it MThead? ;-) ..........

Seeing as YOUR former PM Berlusconi was such a fan of Bunga bunga parties >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-11-12 10:11 AM

pelmetman - 2021-11-11 8:44 PM

Having " original thoughts " is not necessarily a sign of intelligence.

It depends on what the thought is.

Your most memorable thought was that ' education is a waste of time ' -

That's quite original, not a lot of people have come up with that one.

;-)

Has my lack of education ruined my life?............Nope :D ........

In fact its precisely because I didn't get a education that my life has turned out so interesting B-) ........

Or else I might still be in a boring job waiting to collect my pension in 3 years time 8-) ..........

Instead I'm early retired and spending like a sailor on payday (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2021-11-12 1:33 PM

Seeing as YOUR former PM Berlusconi was such a fan of Bunga bunga parties >:-) ..........

Stupidity is not your prerogative.

There are also fools elsewhere.

Perhaps except in the Scandinavian countries that know how to appreciate the welfare brought by decades of socialist governments.

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-11-12 12:42 PM

pelmetman - 2021-11-12 1:33 PM

Stupidity is not your prerogative.

There are also fools elsewhere.

Perhaps except in the Scandinavian countries that know how to appreciate the welfare brought by decades of socialist governments.

Arrogance is obviously yours ;-) ........

They're everywhere..... full of piss and importance :D ........

I blame their education (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

pelmetman - 2021-11-12 1:50 PM

Of someone with not enough skills to be successful in life here it is said:

Two shoulders stolen from agriculture.

But also: he could have been a good priest. Or join the army or the navy.

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2021-11-12 1:16 PM

pelmetman - 2021-11-12 1:50 PM

Of someone with not enough skills to be successful in life here it is said:

Two shoulders stolen from agriculture.

But also: he could have been a good priest. Or join the army or the navy.

Could be worse ;-) ..........

They could've ended up a Socialist 8-) ........

(lol) (lol) (lol) .............

pelmetman - 2021-11-12 2:30 PM

Could be worse ;-) ..........

They could've ended up a Socialist 8-) ........

(lol) (lol) (lol) .............

You do not respect the socialists even when they are dead.

See the vandalizations of Karl Marx's tomb.

This is your democracy.

Archived