sciatica

michele

Hi Chatterdog, I'm glad you've finally got somewhere and are getting releif from your discomfort. Sadly I know all too well what you mean about the Doctors, my last GP was a complete ar$£ who believed I though X rays were a form of treatment rather than a diagnostic tool. Changed practice and got much better service although they can be a bit reluctant to refer. Funnily enough I've always had the best treatment from Locum Doctors!

D.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good interesting subject this!!I described in detail the other night what a Backswing was,Ive just looked it up myself under the word "Backswing".This site showed exactly what it was with some excellent pictures,it amazed me how the price had come down since I bought mine 22 years ago.I paid £275 for it and on this site they are from £195 & they look vertually the same but you can see clearly what they do.On the subject of the medical approach as apposed to a osteopath I would go with the osteopaths advice.My doctor's attitude was when asked about seeing an osteopath was that if I wanted to really ruin my back altogether then go ahead but dont come running back to him in the future,I should sleep on the floor!!!The problem seems to be the rivalry between these 2 professions I believe.I think when someone studys & qualifys in 1 subject as apposed to a doctor who has to cover just about everything is better qualified.

Interestingly the last time I had a severe bout of back trouble my GP referred me to an Osteopath. I also had a series of acupuncture sessions at the GPs surgery administered by a locum. The acupuncture didn't have any effect except for the day that he actually hit the sciattic nerve in my thigh and caused a vast increase in the pain level for a few days.

D.

The people I origionately bought mine from used to hire you 1 at about £12 per month + p&p on a direct debit basis & if you decided after a couple of months that it was doing you some good you could buy it for the price it was minus what you'd already paid in hire fees this was a good deal.Whether the people who sell them now still do that sort of deal I dont know but it costs nothing to ask & you haven't lost much if its no good for you anyway.

I have to agree with Dave as for his recommended exercise of laying on your front, pulling upper body back.

This was advised to me before getting off the bed in the mornings, and my best position for sleeping is the foetal position curled up, i have suffered with Sciatica for the last 7 years.

Have had the norn of X-Rays, MRI, and Bone Scans, for me an operation is not really an option, was told it was 50/50 chance, of any success.

What has been diagnosed is the discs at the bottom of the spine are crumbling.

At the time i was 40 years old, to be told i would end up in a wheel chair sooner rather than later if the operation went wrong, i choose not to go through with it, also after seeing hubbys work mates wife who went ahead with an op on her back, and the position she is in now, i feel i took the right decision, he is now her full time carer.

I agree everybody is different, my consultant was not to keen to perform the operation, so that also helped me make my mind up.

He advised me to see how i could manage for a while longer, my condition is degenerative, so i gave up my job as this entailed 8 hours standing , lifting and carrying, which i was told not to be doing as i was doing more damage, to the back.

I am not in a wheel chair yet, but i am definitely not as active as i was, also lost a lot of confidence, hopefully with the painkillers and watch what i do, i can continue the way i am going, the pain dont go away as was said earlier, being told to keep mobile at times is impossible, and i do like so many other sufferers resort to the floor flat out for comfort.

So when people say life begins at 40, it went downhill for me, also hubby really, as he has to suffer extra chores in the house, and with me, crying and moanin, he is a good old stick.

I agree carebear every one is different and like you was told by my old doctor that the op available i didnt want because of other things that could go wrong. I went five years fom him saying that to my new doctor taking over. In that time I had to give up my horses, caravan,driving a manual car infact not being able to use a car (could get in it but had to climb up the door to get out) so ended up driving a minibus that is auto,ended up losing my job due to (illness) Company was big national company that does employ disabled people but couldnt afford to employ someone that was unreliable.

(this was because I hadnt been labled 'disabled') I only suffered back pain and trapped nerves.

Thank goodness for my new doctor, he sent me to a hospital that specializes and is a centre of excelence., and yes after my scan was showed the reason for my pain and lack of movement -1 disc gone 3 crumbling, was told poss side affects (or poss thing that could go wrong and symtems might be left with e.g. no facial movement on one side of face,droopy eyelids, and no voice., but decided that full or nearly full use of arms was better. As I said things that could go wrong they have to tell you these which is scary but that is so you cant sue them if they do happen. I've had my op now Im back home stitches were taken out last friday none of the poss side affects happened, I can now lift a kettle of water with one hand and best of all since the op I have had warm hands and no dead feeling in my arms.

Everyone is different but I think now I would always recomend a second opinion I didnt but I was lucky in that my doctor retired so I got second opinion form my new doctor and surgury has come a long way. Once the discolouration and slight swelling has gone you wont even be able to tell where they sliced my neck - the surgeon sliced on a natural crease line in my neck one of the many seeing as im over the hill.

Thanks carebear - just what i intend to do - not allowed to drive yet but hope one of family will take me to watch youngest grandson at his first horse show this weekend if its not cancelled. Will bring back lots of memories of mine when I had to run around a ring with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if getting old means you have to suffer aches & pains I dont want to get old.

I am in agony I cannot straighten up at the mo have an appointment with a physiotherapist at 11 and I have to tell you I cannot wait.

I feel like my back has clicked and is stuck I am walking around like I have filled my trousers and if I take anymore painkiller which by the way are not even touhing it I will be knocked flat on my back.

the annoying thing is the pain never goes it just niggles & niggles I feel like I want to go to bed and feel sorry for myself and cry :-(

If its any consolation at all 'Chele you have my utmost sympathy. I'm pleased to say that mine has improved of its own accord in leaps and bounds over the last two weeks although its still there and a bit uncomfortable to sit down still. I'm still waiting for a physio appointment and hopefully when that comes through I will get even more relief.

I know only too well how bloody uncomfortable this can be 'Chele but trust me it will get better in time.

D.

Dave,

Thank you I couln't wait so have paid private I only hope that its worth it he has been recommended ? hopefully it will work for me .

Have just phoned hubby at work to tell him I can not even make the beds he will have to come home and do it how bloody silly is that .

I hope it doesn't ruin my holidays .Hes had a tooth out that they couln't get to the root of and he is in agony on Penicillin and is awaiting an orthodontist appointment to cut out the root I think he should wait dont want to be on holidays with more pain between the two of us I don't know who will last the longest .

I am glad you feel alot better I wouldn't wish this on anyone look after your back and turn slowly the joints do move so well at our age !

hopefully fingers crossed you will stay like it .

One thing I have noticed due to the sciatica is that because of the painkillers I was taking I couldn't take a drink (severe mood swings, and I really do mean severe). Having been on this alcohol free regime for a month or more and now being free of it due to not needing the painkillers I have discovered that my sensitivity to alcohol has been severely increased. I now feel seriously inebriated after just four pints or a couple of glasses of wine. I know and understand that this is overall a good thing but I do feel a bit self conscious with a cup of tea at nine thirty when sitting in my local 8-)

D.

This morning I suddenly developed low back pain and acute sciatica, reached for the Nurofen but took a long walk instead despite heavy drizzle. I am not as sore now so must keep moving. Don't know what brought that on other than I had been moving plant pots of orchids ready for watering.

I did a pile of ironing yesterday but don't think it's related. Nuisance though!

Hi Lizzy ,

Hope you are ok . Me too had the bed all to myself last night because of his shift pattern. It makes me worse I had it all last week only just straightened up over the last few days . Woke up this morning here we go again I think it must be the way I slept reaching for the pills again take a mixture of Nsaid's & paracetamol ....Oh dear.

I've sussed out that it is this chair that is causing the sciatica :-S so mustn't sit for so long each time. I had to resort to Nurofen yesterday, the walk eased symptoms in the morning but by mid-afternoon after a couple of hours up here ....... *-)

• 4 weeks later...
Nobody has mention that an old sagging matress on the bed is often the cause.Its recommended that you should buy a new one after a max of 10 years.Ive often found that when I've stayed in someone elses house or at a hotel their beds have been well past the sellby date & I've got up in the morning with a nagging back >:-)

Quite true BJ but definitely not a contributing factor for me. Our mattress is only 18 months old, is turned end for end and side for side monthly. We also have a three inch thick super latex mattress topper. glad to say mine has all but cleared up on its own now although I'm still waiting for my physio appointment :-( .

D.

I don't know about all this new bed lark mine is two years old now and we paid well over a £1000 for it . It has a matress topper sewn in on top so in effect stopping you turning it boy I wished I had taken more notice .

Once again a dogy back is back with a vengence seems I cant win one time I get in the camper and have a bad back then I come home and its better next its the oposite I just can't win ...Iam going to sleep on the floor soon .

I don't think so unless you count Howie in that :D No I feel fine actually everything is hunky dorey and if I am stressed I dont know it ?.

feeling really relaxed not even snapping at the big un's so I dont know what it is apart from getting older and maybe not looking after myself as much as I should ? to busy and all that but I definately woul not say stress. ;-)

Archived