sciatica

michele

You may be stressed, Michelle, without realising it. I used to suffer from sciatica quite badly and often when I was in 'the job' but since retiring I have not had a touch at all. I never put it down to stress, the sciatica, as stress is used to cover almost every illness in the job but there maybe some truth in a stress connection. Keep keeping well if possible.

Regards, Mike

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Years ago, I had a pain in my leg, but couldn't quite identify where it was hurting. A neighbour suggested that I tried the local rugby club physiotherapist.

He laid me face down on his table and groped my back. Then he said a nerve was out of place (how the hell can he feel a nerve?), and the pushed it back into place. Said it would take a couple of days before I felt comfortable....he was right. £5.... and no receipt.

As far as I can work out, the sciatica nerve was out of place near my hip, and was sending signals to my brain, telling it that my knee hurt.

DON'T ever let anyone manipulate your spine without seeing recent X-rays: it can cause paralysis if the person has a congenital abnormality! The sciatic nerve runs from a spot in the buttock down the back of the leg into the foot - can cause pain in the thigh as well as above the knee and a feeling of numbness in the calf. When it's painful it is a warning that we are not using our legs/back correctly!!!!!

Sitting correctly: bending properly: not having a wallet/mobile phone in the back pocket whilst driving long distances: walking 10 mins twice daily - all will ease sciatica. I know mine is caused when I don't bend correctly to put on the dogs' leads ...... exercise + nurofen usually eases it.

I find those mattress toppers hot in the night *-) and wouldn't spend out the amount asked ......... our mattress has just become comfy after 2 and a half years, it was very hard and made my back ache ....... now it's OK!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Michele, I'm just enjoying a 6 month period free of my sciatic probs. Believe me you have my sympathies. My Doctor said "you will find your own way of dealing with it". He was right. Yes it does get better, there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's only the extreme cases that require surgery (Ex footballer Bryan Robson an example). Ask me for as many ways to deal with it as you wish, I've become a sciatica expert by now :-(

A cushion placed behind the small of your back when sitting/driving/eating/computing etc is an easy start to better posture.

Martyn

My sciatica has returned after a 9 month spell where I was pain free. I started a job HGV driving and I think that has sparked it off. I was told last year by my consultant that to save time if/when it comes back that I could ring his secretary direct and book an appointment, without having to go through G.P.s', triage clinics and the like. I Phoned up on Friday to be told the 1st available appointment is in January! Thank heavens I can get through to see him quickly!!

The amount of money this problem is costing the country from lost time and the like must be phenominal, you would think a cure or some sort of remedial treatment would be a priority.

But what really p***es me off is when someone tells me, "They know what a "bad back" is like because they had it once for a couple of days and they lay on a hard surface for 24 hours and it went, have I tried that?"

I want to hit them very hard with a big stick and make them cry a lot! But I just thank them for their suggestion and say I'll give it a go!

Sorry to hear of other people suffering too, but it is interesting to know other peoples' symptoms and treatment, or lack of, by the medical profession is the same the country over!

Well i had my first physio appointment this morning, not bad after seeing the quack in March and the consultant in June is it? :-( After a thorough examination the physio said the best course of action would be to rub me out and redraw me 8-) !! As that isn't a realistic option she's going to give me a course of excercises to do, oh joy! To be fair I thought she was very good and very thorough and I look forward to some relief.

D.

Tomo3090 - 2007-09-25 2:58 PM

My sciatica has returned after a 9 month spell where I was pain free. I started a job HGV driving and I think that has sparked it off.

Tomo, do you by chance have a wallet or other documents in one back pocket of your trousers when driving?

The reason I ask is that my sciatica problems were caused by bad posture and research I did at the time turned up the fact that a number of HGV drivers suffered for that reason as it made them sit a bit lop-sided.

Graham

Thanks Graham, but no my wallet is kept in a zip pocket at my side. The GP thinks it is the sitting in one position for a long time and not being used to it. When I was in the van we only travelled for 2-3 hours without stopping, so that wasn't a problem. I wonder if they will buy my fuel on prescription because it is better for me than Volterol, Tramadol and paracetamol!

Can't drive but I am having fun designing my perfect van. Upto now it is a Bessacar E560 with refillable gas bottles, domed sat. system, extra battery, tracking solar panel, barbee point on the outside, bike rack and sat nav system. With the most important "item" being my wife in the seat at my side!

Now if I can design a way to fund the cash I'll be off!

In 2000 I had an epidural steroid injection that worked wonders but it depends on the root cause of the sciatica as to whether its appropriate for you. There are numerous causes of sciatic pain from spinal degradation through to muscle spasms and posture issues. You need to see a speshurlist to get the appropriate treatment for you.

D.

Guest caraprof
michele - 2007-09-25 11:03 AM It's back again does it get any better I wonder it never seems to go for long agony more pills. :-(

I can sort you out. You take all of your clothes off and I rub you down all over with a wet lettuce leaf. It never fails.

Can I make two suggestions that may help.

1. Find a complementary therapist. Reflexology and or aramatherapy can help the problem and / or ease the pain. Also an aromatherapist can make up a cream you can use at home when the pain returns. I would however repeat the warning earlier the therapist should ask you to get permission from you GP or hospital before they work. If you have a local collage nearby they are always looking for clients that the students can work on and normally only make a nominal charge. Dont worry about them being students by the time they start to work on client they have been fully trained and the tutor who will have a number of year experience will be overseeing the work.

2. Try a T.E.N.s machine they send a small electrical current through pads attached near to the site of the pain. They do not sort to sciatica but can remove / reduce the pain. You can get them from the local chemist or see you GP and they can advice re their use and in my case I was able to get one through the NHS to try out before a bought my own.

Edit: sorry new to this site and just found the other pages that talk about TENS machines etc. Must learn what all these buttons do. My only excuse is that I have an analogue brain in a digital age.

Hi all. When I went through the problem of a trapped sciatic nerve my GP told me to go to a sports injury physio. Two visits and a lot of pain being shoved around and using ice packs on the painful area to help quell the pain I am now (fingers crossed) all sorted. It was worth all of the £60 it cost plus the 'rub' lotion he recommended. :-D One of those gell packs that you can either put in the freezer or heat are good. The ice helps to calm the muscles from tensing up to try to quell the pain. In emergency try a pack of frozen peas.

Archived