12 volt fridge consumption for 30 hours while on a ferry

flyboyprowler

Not a chance if as implied it is a three-way absorption fridge.

Ours has a 170 Watt 12 VDC element so pulls over 14 Amps when it comes "on", plus the wiring ought to ensure it can't be powered without the alternator generating electrical power.

Hi

Will you have the ability to freeze down a few bottles of water, and deep chill the fridge(and it's contents) before setting out?...That way you can just treat the fridge as a passive coolbox and leave it turned off?

(our Coleman and Igloo coolboxes can still have ice filled bottles in them after 4+ days..)

I suppose it all depends on what is being brought back though..

I think pepe's idea should work.

Some years ago we sailed from Newcastle to Gothenburg, stopping off at Kristainsand, with frozen bottles of milk, plus a few ice packs in the fridge.

On arrival at our first site in Sweden - after a crossing of about 26 hours - everything in the fridge had survived.

It is the only technique we have, as I said running it off the batteries ought to "unavailable" by design as that would lead to a lot of flat batteries, and running off gas is not permitted on ferries, and of course for most of us there is no EHU.

I only have experience of 5 to 6 hours using the fridge as a dumb coolbox and that works with no issues, certainly if pre stuffed with say a couple of 4 pint milks frozen solid. The risk I suspect will only be to the frozen items held in the freezer section, not typical fridge space items.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:28 AM, pepe63 said:

Hi

Will you have the ability to freeze down a few bottles of water, and deep chill the fridge(and it's contents) before setting out?...That way you can just treat the fridge as a passive coolbox and leave it turned off?

(our Coleman and Igloo coolboxes can still have ice filled bottles in them after 4+ days..)

I suppose it all depends on what is being brought back though..

Sadly no. We are driving up from south Spain to the ferry, and will take three days for the trip. Will probably have to run the freezer down before the crossing and hope for the best for the fridge content.

Many thanks.

Ainsley

Hi again

If you do have something in the fridge that you really need/want to save, you could buy some bags of ice from a supermarket on route?

(we've never had to buy it  but using bagged ice for use in cool boxes is quite usual amongst tent campers..).

• 4 months later...

Probably a bit late in replying, but we recently did the 12 hour Portsmouth to St Malo.we have 200 amps of Lithium and a Victron 12/2000/80 inverter/charger, we left it on 240 with the inverter on on No 2 of the five lights. Batteries we at 98% when we left the van and at 37% on our return just over 12 hours. Although we were using 12 volt to make 240 the fact the 240 is temp controlled, The 12 volt is constant so overall less drain on the batteries, we were also running a Dometic CX35 on 12 volt.everyone is different this is just what we did.

Archived