Its Official

B Dobson

Und it must be true because The European Commission itself says so that France is way more expensive for food than here in Blighty where Brexit is flogging us all to death . Mind do remember French produce is "far superior" to Brexit Britains, though just how their veg and meat is I dont know, maybe someone who knows could explain that one? Best wishes as usual to all https://www.french-property.com/news/money_france/comparision_europe_food_costs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking again at your link, it's not just France where food is more expensive than the UK, But all the major EU economies are more expensive for food, so seeing as everything is the fault of Brexit, it follows that our food being amongst the cheapest in Europe is also down to Brexit!

No, dont thank us Brexiteers🤣

Titter. It also says "France is ranked the 13th most expensive country for all goods in the survey, 4 places behind the UK, which sits in 9th position"

Food is just one part of it and as I said, the quality of their food is way better than ours generally but overall according to your report, France is actually cheaper than the UK.

I dont quite see what you are getting at here though apart from some bizarre attempt to somehow relate this to Brexit not being so bad after all.  Which of course it is. Whatever whataboutery you come up with always remember to add in the 4% humongous hit to our economy that Brexit has caused.

8 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Titter. It also says "France is ranked the 13th most expensive country for all goods in the survey, 4 places behind the UK, which sits in 9th position"

Food is just one part of it and as I said, the quality of their food is way better than ours generally but overall according to your report, France is actually cheaper than the UK.

I dont quite see what you are getting at here though apart from some bizarre attempt to somehow relate this to Brexit not being so bad after all.  Which of course it is. Whatever whataboutery you come up with always remember to add in the 4% humongous hit to our economy that Brexit has caused.

"Food" is what I originally posted up about Barryd999, nothing else just food . Now it does say if you take out alcohol and other beverages the real difference between France being more expensive to horrible Blighty is 26%, yes thats correct its 26%, not my words but low and behold the words of The European Commission . "the quality of their food is way better than ours"? Any chance you can prove their food "is way better than ours" or offer some examples of why and one presumes its all food as you havent said "some food"?. Regards 

20 minutes ago, John52 said:

The Brexit Crashed Pound will make food in England look cheaper

This is an over simplification and keeping it to round figures for illustration

£100 food costs £110 - but if £ has crashed 20% it looks 10% cheaper than other countries

So all the food we import is cheaper because of the crashed pound?

There we have it Ladies & Gentlemen, a fine example of Wiganomics at work🤣

1 minute ago, Barry Lineker said:

So all the food we import is cheaper because of the crashed pound?

There we have it Ladies & Gentlemen, a fine example of Wiganomics at work🤣

I oversimplified it as much as I could but I'll try again

In the example £100 food now costs £110

The cost in Euros is the same

But the cost in £ looks cheaper when measured against hard currency because the £ has crashed 20%

So in which country has the price risen

England where it has risen 10% in £ ?

Or EU where it has stayed the same in Euros ?

53 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Do you mean that France that grows 80% of its own food? Where as we import 80% of our food, yet our food is cheaper than in EU La La Land 🤣

3 minutes ago, John52 said:

But the cost in £ looks cheaper when measured against hard currency because the £ has crashed 20%

Eh?

2 minutes ago, John52 said:

You clearly haven't been to France for a while have you?🤣

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

"the quality of their food is way better than ours"? Any chance you can prove their food "is way better than ours" or offer some examples of why and one presumes its all food as you havent said "some food"?. Regards 

If you had travelled in France over the past two decades as much as I had you wouldn't have to ask that question, you would just know.

Of course I cant produce any evidence that its better, it is though.  I dont do the shopping here but one thing is certain, the quality and quantity of our food has diminished rapidly in the past few years. Shrinkflation I think they call it which oddly appeared not long after the referendum.  Personally I would rather pay 25% more for quality than have supermarkets sell me inferior products packaged to look the same size and quality as they were a few years ago and that is what they are doing here. Perhaps they do the same in France now as I have not been recently but I suspect not.

Quality of food in pubs and other eateries has diminished here considerably IMO in the past few years also. Some people will eat sh!t with sugar on though so perhaps they haven't noticed.

2 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

If you had travelled in France over the past two decades as much as I had you wouldn't have to ask that question, you would just know.

Of course I cant produce any evidence that its better, it is though.  I dont do the shopping here but one thing is certain, the quality and quantity of our food has diminished rapidly in the past few years. Shrinkflation I think they call it which oddly appeared not long after the referendum.  Personally I would rather pay 25% more for quality than have supermarkets sell me inferior products packaged to look the same size and quality as they were a few years ago and that is what they are doing here. Perhaps they do the same in France now as I have not been recently but I suspect not.

Quality of food in pubs and other eateries has diminished here considerably IMO in the past few years also. Some people will eat sh!t with sugar on though so perhaps they haven't noticed.

I have been going to France for 15 years . I spent nearly 6 weeks there this year and I believe 8 weeks last year and thats without counting the number of weeks in previous years so Im hardly a virgin when it comes to France or French food . You cant offer anything at all to back up your claim that French food is better or the rather daft claim that food in pubs and other eateries is like eating s... with sugar on . Not a nice look for a respected member 

3 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

I have been going to France for 15 years . I spent nearly 6 weeks there this year and I believe 8 weeks last year and thats without counting the number of weeks in previous years so Im hardly a virgin when it comes to France or French food . You cant offer anything at all to back up your claim that French food is better or the rather daft claim that food in pubs and other eateries is like eating s... with sugar on . Not a nice look for a respected member 

Six weeks! Thats just a brief holiday! 🤣

Nah of course I cant provide any evidence, its just based on experience.  Like I said earlier we tend to eat and drink what the French eat and drink rather than try and find Heinz baked beans or cheddar cheese as it seems a lot of Brits like to do. I think a lot of them used to pack their vans full of stuff like that which of course they cant now after Brexit. Very sad but there you go.

I made the comment about some people not really noticing the decline in our food quality both in the shops and in our eateries because I am just Gobsmacked that more people haven't noticed it or picked up on it. 

There was a reply just now from Mr Dobson but it seems to have vanished.  Perhaps it was offensive and Mr Keith deleted it. I got a pop up from him just now saying something about offensive language! I was going to say it was a (moderated!) but maybe thats not allowed so I wont. 🤣

15 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Six weeks! Thats just a brief holiday! 🤣

Nah of course I cant provide any evidence, its just based on experience.  Like I said earlier we tend to eat and drink what the French eat and drink rather than try and find Heinz baked beans or cheddar cheese as it seems a lot of Brits like to do. I think a lot of them used to pack their vans full of stuff like that which of course they cant now after Brexit. Very sad but there you go.

I made the comment about some people not really noticing the decline in our food quality both in the shops and in our eateries because I am just Gobsmacked that more people haven't noticed it or picked up on it. 

Nothing . Not anything at all to back up those claims . Deary me 

38 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

Nothing . Not anything at all to back up those claims . Deary me 

Its an opinion of course so how could you possibly provide evidence on such a thing?

However there is simply no denying the downward spiral we seem to be experiencing in the quality of UK food be it bought in a supermarket or eating out and its been happening ever since about 2016 funnily enough.

I guess it was inevitable as our currency plummeted after the referendum, mainly against the dollar which of course led to rises in costs of many things related to the food industry. To disguise that and to reduce prices food producers, supermarkets and as a result eateries have tried to disguise that with Shrinkflation. Either less quantity in the same packaging or poorer ingredients.  You would have to be used to eating very poor quality bargain basement food not to have noticed.  Eateries have also had the double whammy of staff problems since Brexit which of course will lead to worse service and inevitably a lower quality of food or certainly hit and miss.

This is my experience. 

31 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Its an opinion of course so how could you possibly provide evidence on such a thing?

However there is simply no denying the downward spiral we seem to be experiencing in the quality of UK food be it bought in a supermarket or eating out and its been happening ever since about 2016 funnily enough.

I guess it was inevitable as our currency plummeted after the referendum, mainly against the dollar which of course led to rises in costs of many things related to the food industry. To disguise that and to reduce prices food producers, supermarkets and as a result eateries have tried to disguise that with Shrinkflation. Either less quantity in the same packaging or poorer ingredients.  You would have to be used to eating very poor quality bargain basement food not to have noticed.  Eateries have also had the double whammy of staff problems since Brexit which of course will lead to worse service and inevitably a lower quality of food or certainly hit and miss.

This is my experience. 

I'm sorry but I don't understand . If I claimed the Indian restaurant i use is far superior to others then I'd explain why . You've claimed French food produce is far superior to nasty Blightys yet offered nothing, its a rather silly look . You've then slated British pubs and eateries describing them in your usual foul mouthed manner which I wont repeat but yet again offered nothing to prove your claim . My missus who's a fully college trained cook and a very good cook went out Friday to Table Table and ate what she says was a lovely meal for 12 quid, tonight she's back at the same place for her friends birthday and two eat for ten quid, now personally I'd call that good value but I'd also call the 20 euro lunch set menus I have in France good value . The worst meal we had this time in France for two with wine cost nearly a 100 euros and it was the worst meal of all . You're better than this Barryd999

40 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand . If I claimed the Indian restaurant i use is far superior to others then I'd explain why . You've claimed French food produce is far superior to nasty Blightys yet offered nothing, its a rather silly look . You've then slated British pubs and eateries describing them in your usual foul mouthed manner which I wont repeat but yet again offered nothing to prove your claim . My missus who's a fully college trained cook and a very good cook went out Friday to Table Table and ate what she says was a lovely meal for 12 quid, tonight she's back at the same place for her friends birthday and two eat for ten quid, now personally I'd call that good value but I'd also call the 20 euro lunch set menus I have in France good value . The worst meal we had this time in France for two with wine cost nearly a 100 euros and it was the worst meal of all . You're better than this Barryd999

I have explained why. Shrinkflation and lack of staff are probably a good indicator.  Why else do you think the quality of our food has deteriorated in the past five or six years then?

I have no idea why the stuff in France seems to me at least better quality. Perhaps the French are prepared to pay a bit more for decent stuff I dunno.

Two meals for a tenner you say?  Wow.  I could be wrong but given the quality of some of the food we had on our five month tour of the UK this year all of which was considerably more than a fiver per dish I cant imagine it being up to much but perhaps it is. Perhaps Ive just been eating in the wrong places.

Having the best cuisine in the world here, I don't particularly like French (or Spanish) ones.

One thing is certain, if the quality is inversely proportional to the obesity rate, well, the Mediterranean one, no matter the country, is definitely better than yours.

And quality costs.

22 minutes ago, mtravel said:

Having the best cuisine in the world here, I don't particularly like French (or Spanish) ones.

One thing is certain, if the quality is inversely proportional to the obesity rate, well, the Mediterranean one, no matter the country, is definitely better than yours.

And quality costs.

Quite agree Max and though i've not been to Italy I had the pleasure of Italian cuisine in Ticino, Switzerland. Excellent quality.

11 minutes ago, Bulletguy said:

Quite agree Max and though i've not been to Italy I had the pleasure of Italian cuisine in Ticino, Switzerland. Excellent quality.

I believe it. Don't forget that Ticino was part of the Duchy of Milan.

With the Duke in difficulty and hostage to the King of France, they rebelled and freed themselves.

They do not like to be reminded of it, it is called "betrayal of Novara".

However, Switzerland is the home of referendums. Not like the UK where they are decided by Westminster...

1 hour ago, Barryd999 said:

I have explained why. Shrinkflation and lack of staff are probably a good indicator.  Why else do you think the quality of our food has deteriorated in the past five or six years then?

I have no idea why the stuff in France seems to me at least better quality. Perhaps the French are prepared to pay a bit more for decent stuff I dunno.

Two meals for a tenner you say?  Wow.  I could be wrong but given the quality of some of the food we had on our five month tour of the UK this year all of which was considerably more than a fiver per dish I cant imagine it being up to much but perhaps it is. Perhaps Ive just been eating in the wrong places.

You've really not had a good day on the forum have you . First today were those totally vile false claims by you and another which you at least have had the decency to offer up half an apology for and now another claim that you offer up no evidence to back it up . It doesn't look like the another is offering up an apology for his Hollywood claim so one can only assume he stands by the original totally false claim, can't say it's too much of a surprise . I do recall now you bring it up one of your meals that you didn't have while away, I think it was a Cornish pasty or something you refused to pay ten pounds for . Best wishes 

19 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

You've really not had a good day on the forum have you . First today were those totally vile false claims by you and another which you at least have had the decency to offer up half an apology for and now another claim that you offer up no evidence to back it up . It doesn't look like the another is offering up an apology for his Hollywood claim so one can only assume he stands by the original totally false claim, can't say it's too much of a surprise . I do recall now you bring it up one of your meals that you didn't have while away, I think it was a Cornish pasty or something you refused to pay ten pounds for . Best wishes 

Oh no I offered a full apology. I just saw what John H had written and forgot it was that other bloke not Patterson. The trouble is with all these sleazy Tories, they all look alike. Easy mistake. Anyway we put that one right. I will always admit when I am wrong or make a mistake.

I don't see how I have had a bad day on the forum though. I have very much enjoyed it although I am incredibly busy at the moment fixing the economy so don't have too much time to dally about on on here. However Im very good at multi tasking so I can often fix the economy and tap away on here at two hundred miles an hour at the same time.

I dont recall the pasty incident. As my stalker I am sure you will have logged it so please remind me.

Archived