Its Official

B Dobson

Oil and gas are priced in $, so we get less in Brexit crashed pounds.

On top of that the price we pay for power has got more to do with Tory privatised energy market than Putin.

For instance when the price of gas goes up (in part due to the Brexit crashed pound) we pay more for power generated from wind!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Barry Lineker said:

Here's some up to date info for you, which shows that food in France is currently 19% more expensive than here.

https://expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/comparison/france/united-kingdom

These prices were last updated on November 26, 2022. Exchange rate: 1.161 EUR / GBP

How many hours did it take you to find that?  

It says 5,651 prices entered by 883 different people

alan partridge.gif

56 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

So is the opinion of 883 expats worth more or less than the opinion of Brian Kirby?

Just trying to work out the value of the Remoaner ego coefficient🤣

10%? 19%, 5%?  its not scientific is my point. 

Also depends what you buy and as has been discussed many times IMO the quality is better in France.  Take a roast chicken for one small example. We buy a lot of them. In my experience they are not filled with water or as bland tasting like they often are here and in France they are often better seasoned and just cooked nicer. Other cuts of meat seem better also. 

Lets not get started on Cheese and booze.

1 hour ago, Barryd999 said:

Also depends what you buy and as has been discussed many times IMO the quality is better in France.  Take a roast chicken for one small example. We buy a lot of them. In my experience they are not filled with water or as bland tasting like they often are here and in France they are often better seasoned and just cooked nicer. Other cuts of meat seem better also. 

We get our chickens from the Co-op 2 for £8, and they have an excellent reputation for only sourcing their meat from British farms with high welfare standards.

Best of British report (PDF, 17 pages, 2 MB)

As for the French ready roasted chicken, we find they're too salty for our taste.

2 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

You are aware a bought roast chicken has more than likely been a frozen chicken?

24 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

You are aware a bought roast chicken has more than likely been a frozen chicken?

`Well maybe they dont freeze em in France. They certainly taste better although to be fair the best one we ever had was in Switzerland from a van. It wasnt cheap mind. Fermier Chickens in France Im pretty sure are not frozen but also not cheap.

`Well maybe they dont freeze em in France. They certainly taste better although to be fair the best one we ever had was in Switzerland from a van. It wasnt cheap mind. Fermier Chickens in France Im pretty sure are not frozen but also not cheap.

I'd be surprised if not but as usual you'll know best as everything is so much better over there, even though you havent been for years . As for Switzerland we've been 3 times now and found most thing very expensive and thats certainly not because the food is superior . Heres a little read on French chicken . https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/63792/french-frozen-chicken-contains-water/

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

I'd be surprised if not but as usual you'll know best as everything is so much better over there, even though you havent been for years . As for Switzerland we've been 3 times now and found most thing very expensive and thats certainly not because the food is superior . Heres a little read on French chicken . https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/63792/french-frozen-chicken-contains-water/

Well again its maybe down where you shop. Chickens from a French rôtisserie be it a proper butchers, French market or one of the better supermarkets are IMO better than ours.  I dont shop in the equivalent of Aldi, Netto or whatever so couldn't comment.  Yep Switzerland is a bit pricey. I dont remember having anything marvelous to eat there either apart from the very expensive Chicken van.

3 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Well again its maybe down where you shop. Chickens from a French rôtisserie be it a proper butchers, French market or one of the better supermarkets are IMO better than ours.  I dont shop in the equivalent of Aldi, Netto or whatever so couldn't comment.  Yep Switzerland is a bit pricey. I dont remember having anything marvelous to eat there either apart from the very expensive Chicken van.

You know of course where the chickens at french markets come from and those at Aldi and you can guarantee it's not the same farms? 

1 minute ago, B Dobson said:

You know of course where the chickens at french markets come from and those at Aldi and you can guarantee it's not the same farms? 

No I have no idea but I would expect a Fermier chicken nicely cooked and seasoned from a lovely French market served by a hot young French girl to be of higher quality and of free range source than whatever gunk they flog in Aldi, even in France. 

No I have no idea but I would expect a Fermier chicken nicely cooked and seasoned from a lovely French market served by a hot young French girl to be of higher quality and of free range source than whatever gunk they flog in Aldi, even in France. 

Strange . In your previous post you didn't mention Fermier chicken, now you do 

16 hours ago, B Dobson said:

Strange . In your previous post you didn't mention Fermier chicken, now you do 

I have mentioned it previously.

Fermier or none Fermier, in my experience they taste nicer in France.  You have a choice there at least.  Not so much in the UK in say Morrisons or Tescos.

"Here's some up to date info for you, which shows that food in France is currently 19% more expensive than here.

These prices were last updated on November 26, 2022. Exchange rate: 1.161 EUR / GBP"

And???  What I reported is our experience of supermarket food prices in UK and France between 6 August and 16 November.  I did not include booze or meals out.  The answer was that France was about 10% more expensive.

I cautioned against trying to draw broad conclusions from the information I provided.  Of the 13 items listed by Expatistan I excluded 4.  Of the remaining 9, we only buy/eat 7.  Maybe that explains the difference, or where they were bought.  Who knows?  Our experience did not tally with Expatizan's, to the extent that we found France 10% more expensive, at the actual exchange rates applied to our supermarket bills by VISA.  What on earth is your problem with that?  It is real world experience fact.

42 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I have mentioned it previously.

Fermier or none Fermier, in my experience they taste nicer in France.  You have a choice there at least.  Not so much in the UK in say Morrisons or Tescos.

I don't shop in either of those supermarkets so.have no idea which is pretty much like you given you've previously claimed you don't go in to supermarkets, unless you "accidently" fall in to one I suppose . Regards 

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

I don't shop in either of those supermarkets so.have no idea which is pretty much like you given you've previously claimed you don't go in to supermarkets, unless you "accidently" fall in to one I suppose . Regards 

That is true. I have a shopper who does all that but I still eat the stuff so I think that allows me to have a valid contribution to the debate.

She is quite astute when it comes to quality and money for shopping and she tells me that most people are too thick to work it all out. She reckons that these so called discount supermarkets are a con. I think they are called a ladle or an Audi or something like that.  She reckons Tesco and occasionally what is classed as posh up north Booths are better either on price or quality and sometimes both. She was also the one who seems to manage to get our shopping generally cheaper and better quality in France than here.  Im just an expert on Cheese and booze really to be fair. 

47 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

That is true. I have a shopper who does all that but I still eat the stuff so I think that allows me to have a valid contribution to the debate.

She is quite astute when it comes to quality and money for shopping and she tells me that most people are too thick to work it all out. She reckons that these so called discount supermarkets are a con. I think they are called a ladle or an Audi or something like that.  She reckons Tesco and occasionally what is classed as posh up north Booths are better either on price or quality and sometimes both. She was also the one who seems to manage to get our shopping generally cheaper and better quality in France than here.  Im just an expert on Cheese and booze really to be fair. 

Don't forget you're also an "expert" on the adult material viewing of Tory MPs n'all . Regards 

2 hours ago, Brian Kirby said:

"Here's some up to date info for you, which shows that food in France is currently 19% more expensive than here.

These prices were last updated on November 26, 2022. Exchange rate: 1.161 EUR / GBP"

And???  What I reported is our experience of supermarket food prices in UK and France between 6 August and 16 November.  I did not include booze or meals out.  The answer was that France was about 10% more expensive.

I cautioned against trying to draw broad conclusions from the information I provided.  Of the 13 items listed by Expatistan I excluded 4.  Of the remaining 9, we only buy/eat 7.  Maybe that explains the difference, or where they were bought.  Who knows?  Our experience did not tally with Expatizan's, to the extent that we found France 10% more expensive, at the actual exchange rates applied to our supermarket bills by VISA.  What on earth is your problem with that?  It is real world experience fact.

Also from that link;

Cost of living in United Kingdom is 19% more expensive than in France

Archived