Changing Leisure Batteries

derek500

Had our two leisure batteries since new in 2014.  Not performing as well as they did and thought I'd change them.  The original Swift and the dealer add on are different types.

First picture is the original Swift the second the dealer add on.

Not sure what amp or type (wet or AGM) they are, or what to replace them with. 

Any suggestions.  Thanks.

20221128_110141.jpg

20221128_105505.jpg

Does the handbook give any info about what the converter recommends?

From 2014 it seems likely that lead acid would be the norm but again the handbook may give you some charging info to guide you?

As they have lasted a very commendable 8 years it might be worth replacing like for like - if it ain't broke don't fix it?

If you have the physical space I would suggest replacing them with two Varta LFD90 sealed lead acid batteries. Has been much discussion on these batteries which gives better performance and longer life for not too bad a price. Best price is usually Tayna - good delivery service too but wherever you buy from ask that they are a matching pair, preferably with the same dates on.

One other thing, the photo of your installation seems to show that the second battery is simply coupled up to the first. It’s usually better to have your positive feed to the motorhome on battery one and negative cable on battery two. This way you are using power from both batteries prolonging their life rather than taking power from battery one and letting battery two top it up.

David

I agree with David.

If either battery can still hold it's charge at least for a few weeks, and you have room and payload it is worth considering securely storing it, against a bulkhead preferably, cover any vents if not sealed, and carrying it as a backup spare along with jump leads to serve a dual purpose.

2014 is pretty good going.  Mine tend to last six to seven years.  Last year I bought a 120ah AGM and throughout last summer and autumn over a five month trip it was outstanding.  Best battery I have had by a country mile.

Of course the trend now is towards lithium.  Much lighter and usable for almost all of the batteries power output whereas with lead acid you get about half before it needs charging again. Not cheap though and going up in price I believe.

The first battery (Swift supplied) is a AGM type and the other (dealer supplied) is almost certainly a normal lead/acid battery. A pair of the Varta LFD90 batteries suggested would work well and the Tayna web site gives sizes to check if they will fit. (they can also supply AGM batteries, but they are expensive and heavy)

1 hour ago, Barryd999 said:

2014 is pretty good going.  Mine tend to last six to seven years.  Last year I bought a 120ah AGM and throughout last summer and autumn over a five month trip it was outstanding.  Best battery I have had by a country mile.

Of course the trend now is towards lithium.  Much lighter and usable for almost all of the batteries power output whereas with lead acid you get about half before it needs charging again. Not cheap though and going up in price I believe.

With  battery failures you're never sure whether its usage or a manufacturing fault without the battery biography. 30 years ago my leisure batteries lasted 10 + years, nowadays they seem to last fewer years. But the reality is that in those days I hardly ever wild camped and most nights would be on EHU. Nowadays I never patronise a campsite,  so the poor old batteries have to work harder, actual 12v  power consumption is probably much the same, what with LED lighting, LED Tv, these savings balanced out by all the extra gear such as chromebook, smartphone etc. After a few days (even in tierra del sol) the batteries may well drop at times to around the 12v mark, not the best for battery longevity.

I seen a few reported complaints regarding LiFeP04 battery reliability, not sure I'd be wanting to rely on the warranty when overseas, think I'll stick with conventional LAs Lead Carbon is about as hi tech I'll go, until the Liths. prices look a bit more reasonable.

7 hours ago, derek500 said:

Had our two leisure batteries since new in 2014.  Not performing as well as they did and thought I'd change them.  The original Swift and the dealer add on are different types.

First picture is the original Swift the second the dealer add on.

Not sure what amp or type (wet or AGM) they are, or what to replace them with. 

Any suggestions.  Thanks.

75 AH as they've lasted so well and if they've supplied you with the power you've required I'd just replace them with like for like Personaly my choice would be 2 x 75 AH Numax lead acid 

I believe derek500's motorhome is a 2014 Autocruise Accent.

The battery in the 1st photo is a Yuasa YPC75-12 and (as Labby has advised above) is AGM type. It is no longer available and its specification (including dimensions) are given in this advert

https://www.tayna.co.uk/mobility-batteries/yuasa/ypc75-12/

The recommended replacement on a like-for-like basis  is shown here

https://www.tayna.co.uk/mobility-batteries/yuasa/rec80i/

AGM batteries were often fitted to Autocruise models as they could be installed on their side (eg. under a cab seat).

The battery in the 2nd photo is a small wet-acid 075-size (not 75Ah) car starter-battery and the current version is  advertised here.

https://www.a1mcganns.co.uk/shop/p/075-2-year-warranty-car-battery-technopart

A Varta LFD90 battery's dimensions are 353mm (length) x 175mm (width) x 190mm (height) - so significantly longer than either of derek500's existing batteries. The LFD90 has been superseded (by the LED95)

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/varta/lfd90/

though some (old stock?) may still be available.

It's easy enough to source 075-size batteries

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/075/

but I'm not aware of any that are designed for 'leisure' activities (nor even 'dual purpose') 

The potential replacement problem is going to be if the original Yuasa AGM battery is not installed upright.

4 hours ago, simians said:

With  battery failures you're never sure whether its usage or a manufacturing fault without the battery biography. 30 years ago my leisure batteries lasted 10 + years, nowadays they seem to last fewer years. But the reality is that in those days I hardly ever wild camped and most nights would be on EHU. Nowadays I never patronise a campsite,  so the poor old batteries have to work harder, actual 12v  power consumption is probably much the same, what with LED lighting, LED Tv, these savings balanced out by all the extra gear such as chromebook, smartphone etc. After a few days (even in tierra del sol) the batteries may well drop at times to around the 12v mark, not the best for battery longevity.

I seen a few reported complaints regarding LiFeP04 battery reliability, not sure I'd be wanting to rely on the warranty when overseas, think I'll stick with conventional LAs Lead Carbon is about as hi tech I'll go, until the Liths. prices look a bit more reasonable.

You might be right as regards Lithium. They sound great but there was a member on the wild camping forum reporting recently that one had failed after three years.  I think you need to be careful about temperature in the winter and charging in freezing conditions.

For me personally I dont worry about batteries. My solar and AGM set up is fantastic. Like being on EHU most of the summer.  If it dies ill just get another one.  not much more than the cost of a full tank of diesel these days.

Swift Group motorhome handbooks can be found here

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/owners/handbooks/

In 2014 Swift continued to use Autocruise model-names for van conversions and the battery-related information for those vehicles is as shown here

image.thumb.png.40cdc14c70435c5dd77bd88f023fc05b.png

image.png.2139b6a3113e0fbdf40bb768ad7d75b9.png

The electrical system comprised Sargent EC400 equipment.

It's evident from this (and from previous forum discussions about leisure-battery replacement relating to Autocruise/Swift PVCs of that era) that an AGM leisure-battery was standard and that this was installed on its side under a cab seat. 

Some (roughly) size-for-size AGM alternatives to the present "Yu-Power" battery (and the recommended Yuasa REC-80)  can be seen here

https://www.tayna.co.uk/golf-batteries/types/70-85ah/

A decision will need to be made about the 2nd battery as its size and type is currently constrained by the size of the battery-box that contains it. As I said above, I can't find a genuine conventional wet-acid battery that has a deep-cycling capability and the same dimensions as the present Technopart Premium battery and - in any case - if an on-its-side AGM battery is to be installed elsewhere, the 2nd battery should also be AGM. 

Archived