No ovens!!!

Sandy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof
twooks - 2007-05-19 9:59 PM

caraprof - 2007-05-19 12:32 PM

I find this discussion to be a little bit silly.

then don't join in *-) *-)

B-)

Don't be silly. I love a good discussion or argument.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-19 2:46 PM

Silly? maybe. The original question was Sandy's, and she asked why German made vans tend to come minus ovens, presumably because she wants a German made van with an oven.

Sandy, look at Hobby vans: German, with ovens!

She also asked how Germans get by without ovens. The answer, in common with many other Europeans, is that they just don't cook the same way we do. Breakfast will be simple and largely cold, except coffee. Lunch is often cold meats and salad. Evening meals, of meat or fish, often high temperature griddled.

Most meat is much lighter cooled than is traditional in UK, even things like duck and kidney being eaten good and pink, whereas we tend to cook for longer. Teflon coated pans require no additional fat for frying, so the grease content is minimised. Griddles allow it to drain away. Most things are cooked quickly, rather than in an oven, which is slow and extravagant to heat up for a quick high temperature flash roast. They don't make toast, and hardly ever grill.

It's just a different approach and the oven takes space they think better used for other things. I suspect even some UK motorhomers with ovens still take microwaves, mini-ovens (for use outside), barbecues, Remoskas (for use on hook up) etc etc. Live and let live, eh? Its the differences that make travel interesting. Oh, and if you adopt European cooking practices while in Europe, it makes getting the ingredients, and the cooking, easier as well!

Thanks Brian, I didn't mean to start world war 2, just wondered what sort of food people cooked if they didn't have a oven!!!

We have an excellent substitute for a over. Its called a COBB, it can be lit outside and then brought indoors to cook.

We have cooked everything from whole chicken to jacket potatoes, curry and even breakfast, so you can both sit outside and get a suntan!

Thai Bry - 2007-05-19 8:50 PM Brian Isn't this what I said at the 1st response posted. Don't want to be rude Thai

Not rude, and its not quite what you said, though similar.  However, you didn't mention Hobby, which I thought was what Sandy really wanted to know.

Guest peter

I find this discussion to be a little bit silly. It must be better to have an oven than not have one! If you've got one you have the opportunity to use it occasionally but if you haven't got one then you can never use it.

It's a bit like having an on-board shower. You may think that you'll always use the site's facilities but one day circumstances may make you very grateful that you can have a quick shower in your own 'van.

What is quite amusing is that the people whose 'vans save space by not having an oven seem to be carrying bulky barbeque-type appliances and even mini-ovens in the wardrobe in case it's raining!

I suspect that for those who don't have an oven their argument is more about justifying their choice, rather than the practicalities and advantages of having one in their 'vans.

Just like you trying to justify having an oven. Each to his own. so don't even think about trying to impose yoiur views on others. As it's obvious that you are a narrow minded bully who looks down on anybody that doesn't share your views. So there! chew on that.

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-05-20 10:59 PM

I find this discussion to be a little bit silly. It must be better to have an oven than not have one! If you've got one you have the opportunity to use it occasionally but if you haven't got one then you can never use it.

It's a bit like having an on-board shower. You may think that you'll always use the site's facilities but one day circumstances may make you very grateful that you can have a quick shower in your own 'van.

What is quite amusing is that the people whose 'vans save space by not having an oven seem to be carrying bulky barbeque-type appliances and even mini-ovens in the wardrobe in case it's raining!

I suspect that for those who don't have an oven their argument is more about justifying their choice, rather than the practicalities and advantages of having one in their 'vans.

Just like you trying to justify having an oven. Each to his own. so don't even think about trying to impose yoiur views on others. As it's obvious that you are a narrow minded bully who looks down on anybody that doesn't share your views. So there! chew on that.

Oh dear, I think I must have struck a nerve here!

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-05-20 11:21 PM

How's that then?

Because your reaction was totally over the top! You go the route of all people who haven't actually got an argument and resort to personal insults.

All I said is that it must be better to have an oven than not have one as at least you can use it if really necessary. If you haven't one, you cannot use it, full stop! When you sell your 'van I can guarantee that no one will refuse to buy it because it's got an oven but they may very well refuse to buy it because it hasn't! I simply gave my opinion on why I think that it is better to have an oven. I have never denied you your right to think otherwise. I cannot understand why, if someone tries to debate properly, someone else who doesn't agree with them accuses them of being a bully, or of wishing to stifle other's views. Where did that happen?

If there was any bullying here it was in your intemperate and rude response to my very fair reasoning.

As for imposing one's views on others, you were the dogmatic one and I'll now remind others of your comment, which was:

Peter wrote:

Who needs an oven? we hardly ever use it at home never mind the M/H. We use our Cadac grill a lot for cooking all meat and stir fries. We do have a mini oven which is stored in the wardrobe for when it's too cold or wet to cook outside. The Continentals cook outside a lot, so don't need a full oven. What woman wants to mess about with a full roast dinner when on holiday, My wife sure wouldn't.

-----

If there was ever a dogmatic answer from someone who thinks that he is right and others are wrong, it's that one.

I'll let our other members decide who's the real bully here! And the rampant sexist as well!

And finally, and this is the bit that I'm really going to enjoy, you say in your opening remark; "Who needs an oven?"

Well, obviously, you do old boy, which is why you've gone to the trouble, expense and inconvenience of having a portable mini-oven, which you store in your wardrobe, where it presumably takes up space that could be occupied by shoes, walking boots or a dozen other items!

I rest my case!

Guest caraprof
Randonneur - 2007-05-21 9:25 AM

it is starting all over again :-( :-( :-( :-(

It may well be, but please note who started it. It wasn't me who wrote an intemperate and rude response.

Guest peter

Just flushing out Frank, alias Caraprof. His response was typical Frank Wilkinson. Frankly I couldn't give a damn if someone has or does not have an oven. We don't need one, which is why we bought the van we did. Our choice. As for the mini oven, We can leave it at home if we wish. It is only a 6 Mtr van so we need all the cupboard space we can get.

As for trying to impose their opinions on others I stand by my former opinion and I quote The original remark by Caraprof.

" I find this discussion to be a little bit silly. It must be better to have an oven than not have one! If you've got one you have the opportunity to use it occasionally but if you haven't got one then you can never use it".

Hi All, Tomos wife here,

We have had vans with and without and although I would probably prefer to have an oven its really great not having one as Tomo does the bbq cooking, which means I can relax after I've cooked the salad and just wait for the meat to arrive. For those that are looking for something easy to use I can thoroughly recommend the George Foreman gas bbq. Its simple enough for Tomo to cook not burn my steak. Its making my mouth water I think I'll go and eat. But I must add that while I was looking at new vans many of them had ovens which were either floor level or ceiling height. I have had experience of trying to get food out of ceiling ones had to resort to either a stool to stand on or get Tomo. Equally I looked at one van that the oven was so low and also access was difficult due to the enormous fixed table. These things would end up really annoying me.

peter - 2007-05-17 11:35 PM

Who needs an oven? we hardly ever use it at home never mind the M/H. We use our Cadac grill a lot for cooking all meat and stir fries. We do have a mini oven which is stored in the wardrobe for when it's too cold or wet to cook outside. The Continentals cook outside a lot, so don't need a full oven. What woman wants to mess about with a full roast dinner when on holiday, My wife sure wouldn't.

That sounds famliar Peter. The wife,s favorite saying is "its a holiday for both of us you know" which is fair enough, but having a oven in the van does,nt bother me one way or the other. Apart from providing extra storage it should make things easier when you trade the van in as it seems ovens are a must for a lot of people.

Guest peter
And those that like to cook outdoors like the Continentals Michele. I do the cooking and my wife does the salad. So I'm not sexist after all. However this fixation with ovens seems to be a particularly British thing. With the modern gas BBQ's you can do more or less anything on them from grilling to stir fries, I love cooking on a BBQ it always seems to taste much better, to us anyway. I don't think it makes it any less easy to sell a van as many Rapidos don't have one, and we bought ours. We would have bought it wih or without as we liked the layout and you relax in it far more than you cook.

peter - 2007-05-23 12:38 AM

And those that like to cook outdoors like the Continentals

Where I live in Spain (Valencia), not where the Brits live, the only day of the week the Spaniards cook outside is Sunday. That's paella day here.

Most houses, like ours have an 'outside' kitchen known as a 'paellero', built solely for this purpose.

In the towns where the majority live in apartments, the parks/green spaces have rows of giant communal BBQs which get packed on Sundays.

The rest of the week the women are doing there normal cooking indoors in the kitchen. They do eat outside though if the weather's OK.

It always makes me laugh when I watch those awful 'Living in the Sun'/'Place in the Sun' type programmes when the kitchens are always dismissed with the comment 'you don't a kitchen here, everybody does all their cooking outside'

Perhaps it's different in other parts of Europe?

Archived