• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peter
twooks - 2007-05-27 9:57 PM

peter - 2007-05-27 9:21 PM

Had no complaints Twooksie. :->

bragging again petey,

what does mrs petey think - or doesn't she come on here - which might explain why you're so brave *-) :-> :->

B-)

Well she always has a smile on her face. :D Not brave just honest. (lol)

Guest peter
twooks - 2007-05-27 11:24 PM

never to old clive, just nicely matured like a fine wine

B-)

Yeah all covered in dust and cobwebs. :D

peter - 2007-05-27 11:38 PM

twooks - 2007-05-27 11:24 PM

never to old clive, just nicely matured like a fine wine

B-)

Yeah all covered in dust and cobwebs. :D

not if you keep duckin' 'n' divin' - movin' an' a groovin'

B-)

sorry - watching Gristle Test on TV all 60s n 70s stuff

twooks - 2007-05-27 11:48 PM

howie - 2007-05-27 11:27 PM

John Harrison

you bin inhaling strange substances again lil buddy

B-)

The guy credited with inventing longtitude Twooks. Thought it might be of interest to you. :-) :-) :-) :-) ;-)

oh yeah, I read the book - fascinating - short sighted bigotry has always been alive and well in this country - indeed world - amazing we ever managed to stand upright when you see how snobbish and negative the ruling class [ie them with the funding] can be.

also featured in Only Fools and Horses - it was the Harrison heirloom that brought them their millions of pounds

sorry Howie - keep on inhaling the funny stuff - keep me on the straight n narrow - well - till 'chele gets back

B-)

Guest caraprof

John Harrison didn't invent longitude! Latitude and longitude were well known to our sailors and explorers. The problem was that no one could calculate a ship's longitude so the government set up a Longitude Commission and awarded a massive prize to the person who could invent a clock that was accurate enough to enable sailors to calculate the time very accurately.

John Harrison eventually made a portable clock that was accurate to a second a month, an incredible feat for a timepiece that rolled about on a ship.

I'm a watch fan and have several high class watches, some are certified chronometers and one (a Patek Phillipe) is made to the standards of the Geneva Seal, which is even more refined and none of them can attain that accuracy even with all the modern materials and techniques available today.

Quite correct Frank and what I should have said was that Harrison was the first to come up with the means to put longtiude to practical use.

Always had a interest on how so many inventions and discoveries came through in such a relatively short period of time.

For thousands of years, apart from the odd improvement or innovation things stayed more or less the same, but over the last two or three hundred years we have gone from living off the land to space technology.

Something must have triggered this off, and the people who came up with these ideas were all original thinkers with nothing to go on but their own dreams and ingenuity.

twooks - 2007-05-29 10:49 AM

can't beat wandering off thread - great innit??

B-)

Not always Twooks. Sometimes a flippant remark on a serious thread can bring about a quite strong and deserved rebuke. :-> :-> :->

a serious thread - on the ChitChat channel - naw, now the other one different game plan - but [forra change] wasn't meant to be flippant - I was genuinely impressed -

seems my rep has gone before me :'( :'(

'scuse me if I keep duckin n divin but I'm trying to dodge a clip around the ear

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

ciao before I get caught :-> :->

B-)

Archived