Motorhoming with Merton & Webster

John52

Yeah, we thought S1 good too. The site they stayed at in Weston Supermare, we'd previously stayed at a couple of times previously. A couple of months after their stay was on TV, I called the site to book us a stay, we were going to a wedding in Ilfracombe and WSM was sort of midway. Lady there laughed and said since they'd been on TV they'd been fully booked and had no room for us. Shows the power of TV

On 12/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, Grumpyman said:

far to contrived

I suppose it was

They avoided the controversy of parking motorhomes near St Michael's mount by driving past saying they hadn't got time to stop. 

What? 

They drive past a world heritage site to get to a field where there isn't even a path down to the sea.  When its still light enough to decorate the van and sit down outside to prepare a meal.

You have to look for the clues I suppose.  Overhead drone shots of the car park (apparently had time to take those) with no motorhomes in. Roadside hedges not maintained and sticking out into the road giving motorhomers the choice of smashing their mirrors etc. or crossing the centreline of the road into oncoming traffic.  The free public beachside lay by we all used now blocked off to force traffic to use St Aubin's expensive no motorhomes private car park.

That aside, I still found it entertaining.

Don't know where they found Henry's Campsite, not listed on Search4sites and if you Google it, the websites 'news' is last dated 2019, obviously people know it as there were other vans and campers there, I just wonder how the production team do their research. The motorhome also changed identity from a Swift to a Roller Team sometime during the show.

2 hours ago, paulmold said:

Don't know where they found Henry's Campsite, not listed on Search4sites and if you Google it, the websites 'news' is last dated 2019, obviously people know it as there were other vans and campers there, I just wonder how the production team do their research. The motorhome also changed identity from a Swift to a Roller Team sometime during the show.

I've enquired twice at Henry's about a pitch whilst at Lizard, both times where out of season but they where full. 

6 hours ago, John52 said:

I suppose it was

They avoided the controversy of parking motorhomes near St Michael's mount by driving past saying they hadn't got time to stop. 

What? 

They drive past a world heritage site to get to a field where there isn't even a path down to the sea.  When its still light enough to decorate the van and sit down outside to prepare a meal.

You have to look for the clues I suppose.  Overhead drone shots of the car park (apparently had time to take those) with no motorhomes in. Roadside hedges not maintained and sticking out into the road giving motorhomers the choice of smashing their mirrors etc. or crossing the centreline of the road into oncoming traffic.  The free public beachside lay by we all used now blocked off to force traffic to use St Aubin's expensive no motorhomes private car park.

That aside, I still found it entertaining.

They didn't just drive past, they drove from south coast to north coast. Like all of these programs we viewed it as a bit of entertainment, not infotainment. It's about a mile walk from the site they stayed on to the coast walk.

I watched about 10 minutes and that was enough to confirm why I go abroad to do my touring. If I do go anywhere here its just to a site where we can sit and rest or get a taxi into the nearest town for a bit of shopping and a pub lunch. Absolute rubbish programme  as far as I am concerned.

Bit bland tbh and turned off after 15mins. Not quite sure who it was aimed at, existing motorhomers or to attract new but seems a bit too compromised for either. Rumour has it on at least one occasion, the motorhome arrived on a site driven by the film crew who set it up for the couple to arrive in a car.

20 hours ago, Sydney1 said:

Bit bland tbh and turned off after 15mins. Not quite sure who it was aimed at, existing motorhomers or to attract new but seems a bit too compromised for either. Rumour has it on at least one occasion, the motorhome arrived on a site driven by the film crew who set it up for the couple to arrive in a car.

That’s showbiz……

2 hours ago, david lloyd said:

That’s showbiz……

Indeed, and I don't think it was ever promoted as anything else.

I've been involved with several 'factual' tv programs, and magazine article, my advise would be take everything you see or read with a pinch of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost track the changes of motorhomes last night.

It showed them inside a Swift Escape, pulling shut the outside door for the night, but the next frame was of them in the bedroom of a different motorhome?

But I still found it entertaining 🙂 

2 hours ago, stevec176 said:

Unfortunately I have to agree, didn't see the point of the program, wasn't really doing anything as a tourist program or anything about motorhoming, shame.

I think the current TV trend is to create " personalities "  ( most of whom I've never heard of ) and get them to do something ( anything ) on Telly to attract people who like personalities.

Content is not necessarily very important.

( I HAVE heard of Paul Merton by the way ).😊

15 hours ago, malc d said:

Content is not necessarily very important.

Exactly

I guess the point of the programme is to drive viewing figures and advertising revenue

Having celebrities who can talk gets people to watch it, and they can open doors and get the film crew into places the ordinary motorhomer couldn't. (Like Portillo does in Great Railway Journeys, who looks nothing like any other railway passenger I have seen because he is always immaculately turned out but never carries any luggage)

So we get stuff like this, and Susan Calman who apparently doesn't even sleep in her motorhome.  But I find it entertaining.

I agree the programmes would be a more accurate reflection of motorhoming if it was fronted by real motorhomers.  But we can come on here for that 

These imdb.com reviews of the TV series may be of interest.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15151520/reviews

I wonder how entertaining a 'real world' series fronted by a married couple of 'real motorhomers' would be.

I can imagine - in the middle of the night - the wife waking her husband and saying "Whose idea was it to holiday on this awful Welsh campsite in this awful Welsh weather? Why aren't we spending the winter in warm sunny Spain like we used to?" Then follows a long diatribe from the husband about Brexit and the Schengen area limitations. "And I'm not feeling very well", adds the wife, provoking an unsympathetic lecture about how the NHS was on its knees as a result of the UK government's years of mismanagement. A half-hour later the wife visits the toilet compartment and wakes her now-snoring husband again. "You forgot to shut the toilet's roof-light", she accuses. "No I didn't", he replies. "Then why is the toilet floor like a lake?" asks the wife. Much floor sponging follows, but eventually both get back to bed, with the husband dreaming of Claudia Winkleman and the wife thinking about how much a divorce would cost. Dawn breaks and the wife interrupts her husband's dancing-with-Claudia dream. "Where's the dog?" she asks.

I watched part of one of the first series but wasn’t drawn to it. However it surely beats the endless drivel such as love island, I’m a celebrity, et al that’s before we mention the dancing in all shades and don’t forget the endless convoluted quiz shows.

i must say that as soon as I see a programme prefixed by the name of some self appointed ‘celebrity’ presenter. Sue Perkins Asia trip or similar, I switch channels.

my wife is an avid follower of the pottery, baking, sewing, and gardening programmes however they tend to have some skills involved.

Davy

On 1/17/2023 at 9:36 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

These imdb.com reviews of the TV series may be of interest.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15151520/reviews

I wonder how entertaining a 'real world' series fronted by a married couple of 'real motorhomers' would be.

I can imagine - in the middle of the night - the wife waking her husband and saying "Whose idea was it to holiday on this awful Welsh campsite in this awful Welsh weather? Why aren't we spending the winter in warm sunny Spain like we used to?" Then follows a long diatribe from the husband about Brexit and the Schengen area limitations. "And I'm not feeling very well", adds the wife, provoking an unsympathetic lecture about how the NHS was on its knees as a result of the UK government's years of mismanagement. A half-hour later the wife visits the toilet compartment and wakes her now-snoring husband again. "You forgot to shut the toilet's roof-light", she accuses. "No I didn't", he replies. "Then why is the toilet floor like a lake?" asks the wife. Much floor sponging follows, but eventually both get back to bed, with the husband dreaming of Claudia Winkleman and the wife thinking about how much a divorce would cost. Dawn breaks and the wife interrupts her husband's dancing-with-Claudia dream. "Where's the dog?" she asks.

How much of this extremely entertaining description (far more than the programme itself) is personal experience Derek?

I only ask because we may have had very similar trips!

David

Archived