Driving through a flood

John52

youtube videos of vehicles getting stuck in Rufford ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HHFXFN788

Lesson seems to be

1) Ignore the advice of bystanders who may just be looking for entertainment.  Worst thing you can do is take a run at a flood to try and keep going at speed (which might work when driving through soft ground like on a campsite field or beach)

2) Drive in very slowly to avoid the bow wave flooding the engine and lifting the front wheels off the road

3) If in doubt - Back out. Let them call you chicken - Its much less embarrassing than getting stuck!!

Rufford Ford was closed over a month ago (2 December 2022), so I'm not sure why the Guardian, Mail and Mirror have decided that 'news' of the closure is worth repeating now.

From 1953-1960 I was a pupil at Monmouth School. This was before the A40 became an elevated dual-carriageway near the bridge over the river Wye and the road at that time dipped down sharply to the rear of the school. When the Wye flooded - which happened a lot in winter in those days - water filled the dip deeply and it was popular for boys from the School to congregate (like vultures) during the lunch-hour and loudly applaud the hapless motorists who got stuck in the dip and had to be towed out. Finally an order came from On High that this enjoyable pastime must cease (apparently the police had complained to the School's headmaster) and - as corporal punishment  was still on the School's menu - that put an end to that.

2 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Good link, Thanks

''I had a guy come over from Germany and spend a week in his car in the car park. Twice"

I'm not surprised as I've never seen anything like it in the EU - they would have built a bridge over the river many years ago.

But apparently still 'out of the question on cost grounds' in England.  Apparently ignoring the environmental and financial costs of taking the diversion.

So we're getting tourists crossing the channel to see what its like in a third world country.

3 hours ago, Keithl said:

Not specifically, could fit with towing a caravan or having a tent in the boot, so...

Most of the stuff on Motorhome Matters, tyres, batteries, alternators, wiper blades, routes, sat navs, laptops, mobiles, wifi, for example, is not motorhome specific either

So I still don't know where to draw the line

Quite simple,

Does it include a MH or is directly MH related - MH Matters

Does it include a Caravan or is directly Caravan related - Caravan Chat

Does it include a Tent or is directly Tent related - Tent talk

All else = CB

So cars driving through water falls down to CB.

Ans as for your question of tyres, batteries, etc., all the current posts in MM seem to be very MH specific to me so stay in MM. If the subject had been say caravan tyres then that would be CC.

There is now no real difference between the stated purpose of the Motorhome Matters forum 

Log on for friendly chat and seek advice from hundreds of motorhome enthusiasts like yourself

and the stated purpose of the Chatterbox forum

Chat about anything and everything motorhome, caravanning and camping related...

John52's original posting conflicts with the stated purpose of both Motorhome Matters and Chatterbox, but by modifying his posting as follows, (presumably?) the posting would become acceptable for either forum as the video I've added shows an Elddis Autoquest  motorhome negotiating  Rufford Ford.

youtube videos of vehicles getting stuck in Rufford ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkcqPFto48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HHFXFN788

Lesson seems to be

1) Ignore the advice of bystanders who may just be looking for entertainment.  Worst thing you can do is take a run at a flood to try and keep going at speed (which might work when driving through soft ground like on a campsite field or beach)

2) Drive in very slowly to avoid the bow wave flooding the engine and lifting the front wheels off the road

3) If in doubt - Back out. Let them call you chicken - Its much less embarrassing than getting stuck!!

If Warners staff feel that it's worth having a forum intended to cover topics NOT relating to motorhomes, caravanning or camping, it should be simple enough to restrict those topics (eg. no spam, or discussion of religion or politics). It's laughable that initial postings that include "motorhome" or "caravan" or "camping" are deliberately being made so that the thread can then swerve into the type of argument that previously used to bedevil Chatterbox. As things stand the Chatterbox forum is redundant.

As a slight deviation ( although it could involve motorhomes as well as cars ) -  it is not a good idea to drive fast into SNOWDRIFTS in the hope of charging straight through.

From experience ( back in the sixties ) - the front of the vehicle is likely to rise up onto a heap of snow and lose all traction.

Luckily I had a shovel with me at the time and was able to lower the front wheels to the ground again - followed by turning back the way I came.

44 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

.... the stated purpose of the Motorhome Matters forum 

Log on for friendly chat and seek advice from hundreds of motorhome enthusiasts like yourself

and the stated purpose of the Chatterbox forum

Chat about anything and everything motorhome, caravanning and camping related...

Well according to that the only forum you can talk about things not 'motorhome, caravanning and camping related' is the Motorhome forum!

Seriously I don't want to be pedantic.  But if we are going to keep to the rules to stop threads disappearing, we need to know what the rules are.

John,

Threads will only be removed if they include offensive, racist or insulting comments. Keep it clean and on track and they will be safe.

As for the sub-forum descriptions I will ask Daniel to clarify them and update to reflect their role more clearly. But for now if you work on my understanding from three posts back we should be good.

Keith.

12 hours ago, John52 said:

Well according to that the only forum you can talk about things not 'motorhome, caravanning and camping related' is the Motorhome forum!

Seriously I don't want to be pedantic.  But if we are going to keep to the rules to stop threads disappearing, we need to know what the rules are.

Dont let the disappearance of threads on a forum upset you so . Worse things happen in life . Surely its quite clear whats acceptable and what isnt anymore . 

12 hours ago, Keithl said:

John,

Threads will only be removed if they include offensive, racist or insulting comments. Keep it clean and on track and they will be safe.

As for the sub-forum descriptions I will ask Daniel to clarify them and update to reflect their role more clearly. But for now if you work on my understanding from three posts back we should be good.

Keith.

The new rules are working fine😎

I am not responding to the 2 trolling posts from the 2 banned members above because I don't want to see this forum spoiled any more.  I can see why those who promoted Brexit want to censure any further discussion.

But I take things to mean what they say.

And going by the stated purpose of the Motorhome Matters and chatterbox forums, as Derek quotes, its only the Chatterbox forum that specifies what subjects are to be discussed.

So, according to what it says, if driving through water is not strictly relevant it should have been left in the Motorhome Matters forum.

This forum will continue its decline when no one bothers to post in case it disappears.  So we need to be know what subjects are banned in which forums and what are not.

What we have been told so far is contradictory, and as clear as mud.

13 minutes ago, John52 said:

I am not responding to the 2 trolling posts from the 2 banned members above because I don't want to see this forum spoiled any more.  I can see why those who promoted Brexit want to censure any further discussion.

But I take things to mean what they say.

And going by the stated purpose of the Motorhome Matters and chatterbox forums, as Derek quotes, its only the Chatterbox forum that specifies what subjects are to be discussed.

So, according to what it says, if driving through water is not strictly relevant it should have been left in the Motorhome Matters forum.

This forum will continue its decline when no one bothers to post in case it disappears.  So we need to be know what subjects are banned in which forums and what are not.

What we have been told so far is contradictory, and as clear as mud.

Who knew that John52 did irony?😮

I see another personal attack from the banned member above.

Hoping to get the whole thread deleted maybe?

I suspect some members would rather see the forum moderated to death or closed than be reminded of how they promoted Johnson & Brexit?

22 hours ago, John52 said:

Good link, Thanks

''I had a guy come over from Germany and spend a week in his car in the car park. Twice"

I'm not surprised as I've never seen anything like it in the EU - they would have built a bridge over the river many years ago.

But apparently still 'out of the question on cost grounds' in England.  Apparently ignoring the environmental and financial costs of taking the diversion.

So we're getting tourists crossing the channel to see what its like in a third world country.

Unfortunately John, you cannot resist putting a little political dig or comment regarding the UK into any of your threads.

There is always a  thinly veiled remark somewhere.

Just look at what you've written above! 

Sadly, Chatterbox has all but died - and the irony is, you and at least one other forum member have killed it with your relentless, obsessive views.

There was a time when you could have a light-hearted chuckle on here, but you have put paid to that I'm afraid.

Although I concede, the Third World quip did make me smile

1 hour ago, John52 said:

I see another personal attack from the banned member above.

Hoping to get the whole thread deleted maybe?

I suspect some members would rather see the forum moderated to death or closed than be reminded of how they promoted Johnson & Brexit?

Keith has been quite clear what's allowed and not allowed and there only seems to be yourself who's confused . Aren't there any other forums out in internet world that gives you the opportunity to hold folk to account for things you don't agree with . Keep up the good work Keith I say 

• Keithl locked this topic

Archived