Taking food into the EU.

Brian Kirby

There are conflicting reports of some people passing customs controls completely unchallenged, while others were challenged and asked to dispose of certain foodstuffs, when entering the EU.  As the latter causes waste (of goods and time), expense, and some palpable irritation, and the conflicting reports cause some confusion, I've been trying to find out what the law actually requires.

To that end I have contacted the Europe Direct Contact Centre, (and via them the EU Directorate-General for Food Safety and Public Health), and the French Customs Attaché's Office at the French embassy in London.

The regulation in which the permitted and banned foodstuffs are set out, is Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/2122, of 10 October 2019.  However, the terminology is complex, and the definitions somewhat opaque unless you are a food scientist.

The shorthand version is that you may not take into the EU from the UK any meat from whatever animal, including sausages, paté, and poultry, eggs, and any dairy products including butter, cheese, and yoghourt.  Salad and vegetable products are permitted  - provided that they do not include soil (so root and tuberous crops must be pre-washed).

It seems that the customs formalities at the ports and the tunnel are currently very hit-and-miss, leaving open the possibility that many of us will have gained the impression that such products are permissible - simply because customs officials did not check.  This is not the case.  If you carry the prohibited items and you are checked, they will be confiscated and destroyed, and in addition you will be liable to be fined.  That, so far as I can ascertain, is the legal position.

There is some possible potential confusion surrounding Article 6 of the above regulation, which appears to create an exemption for  "Products of animal origin and composite products on board means of transport operating internationally which are not unloaded and are intended for consumption by the crew and passengers". 

I have now gained a clarification from the EU Directorate-General for Food Safety and Public Health stating that "The purpose Article 6(1) of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/2122 is to exempt foods which are on board e.g. ships, aircraft or trains operating internationally and which are not unloaded on Union territory.  The reference to “crew” underlines that the provisions relates to means of transport which are not operated by a private person moving the means of transport itself." 

They go on to point out that this is the intended meaning of the Regulation, and that only the ECJ is empowered to interpret EU laws/regulations.  It is clear enough that customs officers will proceed on the basis of the intended meaning of the regulation, at least until such time as a case is decided by the ECJ.

So, in case you may have been wondering, the best current advice is to avoid taking any of the above items into the EU from the UK, and instead to programme into you trips a visit to a supermarket as soon as you are on EU territory!

Whilst the rules are quite clear, it's a fact that very few people actually get stopped and searched, at least via Eurotunnel.

I've done this journey twice this year, and other than checking that the gas was isolated, no one has entered the vehicle, let alone check our fridge.

It's a chance some take.

Hello Brian

Many thanks for finding out this useful information.

For our forthcoming extended trip into Germany via Eurotunnel, we always travel empty and stop at the 1st supermarket to purchase a couple of days provisions.

My only concern is we always take our dog with us, and cannot understand the ruling regards the taking of pet food. Our dog is on a special food. My question is, can you take dog food with you, as its not meant for human consumption.

There's a fair amount of on-line guidance about this (GOOGLE-search on "taking dog food into EU") all of which advises much the same thing (a couple of examples below)

.....................................................................................................................................

Dog Food Allowed in to the EU

Now Brexit has happened and the UK has left the EU, certain rules have changed regarding what food (including dog food) you can take with you. You are no longer allowed to take meat or milk-based dog food including treats unless your Vet has given you written confirmation that your pet requires a certain dog food for medical reasons. With written permission, you may take packs that weigh 2kg.  This means that your pet food needs to be fish or plant-based dried products such as those in vegan dog food or treats would be allowed. No more than 10kg in weight and should be sealed in the original bag.

.....................................................................................................................................

Plan your dog's food 

That may sound nuts but it's really important in the post-Brexit era because personal imports of meat and milk or their derivative products are no longer allowed.

This means that you cannot take any types of dog food or dog treats containing meat or meat derivatives from the UK into another EU country except where a special pet feed is required for medical reasons (and then only if weighing less than 2 kilograms, the product does not require refrigeration before opening, and the food is a packaged proprietary brand product for direct sale to the final consumer, and the packaging is unbroken unless in current use). This obviously raises a logistical challenge when travelling from the UK to the EU.

If you try to take any dog food (wet, dry or other) that contains any form of meat or meat derivative from Great Britain into the EU, it is likely to be confiscated and your dog may go very hungry until you find a supermarket!

One option is to take a vegan, dry dog food with you so that your dog has some food until you arrive at your destination and can get your hands on some regular dog food. Just search online for "vegan dog food" and order well in advance of your travel date.  

Have we any anecdotal evidence that food is checked and has been confiscated?   Is this happening in the UK when leaving or in the EU on arrival?   

We took our usual 'contraband' to Caen on Saturday and for the umpteenth time, no checks.

Surely, this is for commercial trading and not holiday makers?

This appears to be on a par with gassing, not using 'metal' warning signs on bike racks in Italy, or having the diagonal stripes facing the wrong way!!

We traveled out in July 2021 when all was very quiet due to covid. No checks. 
since then we’ve traveled 2 times and again no checks. 
being a Milkaholic we normally take about 2 gallons of milk with a long date and organic from Tesco whom are always happy to look for the longest date possible. 
we take a little food, but within a day or two we do a decent shop for cheese and hams etc. 

I think Brian has confirmed that the regulation is valid, so taking meat and dairy in is illegal. 

I think it is also valid that at present (certainly at the French customs booth at Eurotunnel) there is no infrastructure in place for checks to be made. 
The British customs check hall/building before the French Kiosk is where they check your gas tap and they have no interest in what food you are carrying, only mainly in explosives or drugs.

I am fairly sure that once you are through the French passport kiosk and on the train, you are technically in France and there are certainly no further checks on the other side of the channel.

So if you want to take contraband in ...it's illegal but it's up to you ...... Reminds me of the quote "Go ahead, make my day" ...although I doubt you will hear any magnum toting Gendarmes saying that?
Jeremy

L'aime said " ...it's illegal but it's up to you ...... Reminds me of the quote "Go ahead, make my day" ...although I doubt you will hear any magnum toting Gendarmes saying that?
Jeremy"

More likely he'd be brandishing just a bottle of champers and not a magnum, surely 🤪😁

Brian,

I admire your tenacity and patience.

After the infamous incident when a HG driver’s ham sandwich was confiscated, we’ve always assumed that after Brexit meat and dairy were contraband and therefore have not taken any into the EU.

Inconvenient? Yes, but for the sake of an hour’s shopping it’s simply not worth the hassle that could ensue if stopped.

1 hour ago, Cattwg said:

for the sake of an hour’s shopping it’s simply not worth the hassle that could ensue if stopped.

You are missing the point

Its having to chuck away your food and go without for an indefinate period until you can get to somewhere in France that has got what you want.

37 minutes ago, John52 said:

You are missing the point

Its having to chuck away your food and go without for an indefinate period until you can get to somewhere in France that has got what you want.

Bit over the top that John52.

I doubt that anyone has starved to death on arrival in France, because they can't find the " right " food.🙂

If you've had to throw food away, that's just bad planning.

I too, think it's an unnecessary waste of holiday time, going shopping straight off the ferry - but, it seems, a lot of people don't mind.

1 hour ago, John52 said:

We don't pack the contraband items in the first place, so don't have to dispose of them. Last year my wife made and froze vegetable curry, we took vegetable sausages and plant based spread instead of butter. We also packed other allowed foodstuffs.

There are supermarkets within a mile or two of Calais, Dunkerque and Coquelles so to us it's inconvenient but not catastrophic. 

I can't speak for shops at the other French ports or the Spanish ports. 

Cattwg🙂 

We would run down home fridge before going, but would want to take what is left with us.  Milk would be our biggest issue because need it for T & C and breakfast.  Partly it depend how long your journey is to get to the port from home.  If it is eg a day, you need food for on the journey.

3 hours ago, Cattwg said:

We don't pack the contraband items in the first place, so don't have to dispose of them. Last year my wife made and froze vegetable curry, we took vegetable sausages and plant based spread instead of butter. We also packed other allowed foodstuffs.

There are supermarkets within a mile or two of Calais, Dunkerque and Coquelles so to us it's inconvenient but not catastrophic. 

I can't speak for shops at the other French ports or the Spanish ports. 

Cattwg🙂 

But Cattwg .... If you read Derek's link to the French pamphlet above, YOU ARE  taking contraband in to France!

Your vegetable curries and sausages need a Plant Health Certificate from the country of origin!

Daft isn't it but that's what's they state!

They have you over a barrel!

And milk is a definite no no!

Jeremy

Well I didn't say anyone had 'starved to death' or it was 'catastrophic'

When you have to change what someone said before you can disagree with them isn't that what they call a 'straw man argument?

Brian and Derek have made the effort to find out the law for us, and others have given their experience of the likelyhood of it being enforced.  All of which is helpful.

Lets not spoil it.

Many thanks to both Brian K & Derek for the invaluable information, they have imparted to us all - re food stuffs into Europe.

As always we always travel empty regards food for human consumption. Mrs Thai in the process of looking for suitable pet food for our little Westie, which can be purchased in Europe.

12 hours ago, John52 said:

Well I didn't say anyone had 'starved to death' or it was 'catastrophic'

When you have to change what someone said before you can disagree with them isn't that what they call a 'straw man argument?

Brian and Derek have made the effort to find out the law for us, and others have given their experience of the likelyhood of it being enforced.  All of which is helpful.

Lets not spoil it.

Indeed John, lets not spoil it.

I don't think Malc D was looking for an argument, perhaps he was just being lighthearted 🙂 

Brian and Derek's efforts have made things much clearer - if you want to take food across the channel, and you know that 'technically' you are breaking the rules then you have to accept the outcome if caught.

It's an individual choice - If you might have to throw food away, then you need to factor that into your decision making.

I can't imagine anyone travelling to France would have to suffer an indefinite period of time as you put it, before they can replenish their supplies.

France has an enormous variety of food on offer, and I personally quite enjoy the initial 'big shop' experience once I get across the channel. The differing foods are surely all part of the holiday.

2 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

I can't imagine anyone travelling to France would have to suffer an indefinite period of time as you put it, before they can replenish their supplies.

Can you give us a definitive period of time of how long it will take to get through the Brexit queues, cross the channel, and get parked at open supermarket at each of the channel ports?  (Since you said 'anyone' I'm sure lorry drivers will be particularly interested)

Otherwise its indefinite as I said. 

And thats why people want to take a bit of stuff in with them.  Which is what this very useful thread is about.

Brian and Derek have made an effort to find out the rules for us, and we are grateful.

Its not helpful to throw it back in their faces by effectively saying they needn't have bothered because you prefer French food.

Hi john52 

having being using the tunnel since day 1 I’ve not noticed any increase in time it takes from the point  you arrive and go through the initial ticket part. 
no checks have been made and I’ve not noticed anyone else being checked other than for the normal gas check. 

7 minutes ago, John52 said:

Can you give us a definitive period of time of how long it will take to get through the Brexit queues, cross the channel, and get parked at open supermarket at each of the channel ports?  (Since you said 'anyone' I'm sure lorry drivers will be particularly interested)

Otherwise its indefinite as I said. And thats why people want to take a bit of stuff in with them.  Which is what this very useful thread is about.

Here we go -  the default pedantry John 52 retort,  please desist - it's so unnecessary.

It's surely not indefinite though is it - you don't exactly see many malnourished lorry drivers do you?😁

What do you term indefinite?  - is that days, weeks, months or even years? 😄

Well 'technically' nobody can take 'a bit of stuff with them' and I think that's already been established.

It appears this 'very useful thread' has become your enabler - as you've managed to resort to your usual modus operandi normally reserved for Chatterbox. But I guess, as you appear to have singlehandedly destroyed that forum, Matters is your next best option.

I won't comment on this again, I wouldn't want to spoil it [as you said earlier] because you seem to be doing an alright job of that yourself.

7 minutes ago, Den said:

Hi john52 

having being using the tunnel since day 1 I’ve not noticed any increase in time it takes from the point  you arrive and go through the initial ticket part. 
no checks have been made and I’ve not noticed anyone else being checked other than for the normal gas check. 

Thats good to know Den, Thanks

However, the trains are running part empty due to Brexit passport rules

Apparently they are selling limited and more expensive tickets to reduce the queues (see link)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/24/eurostar-trains-empty-seats-brexit-passport-rules-london-paris-brussels

But I am still hearing about indefinate queues for the ferries

Barry posted an interesting thread about them, comparing what the Brexiteers promised with what we have got.

20 minutes ago, John52 said:

Thats good to know Den, Thanks

However, the trains are running part empty due to Brexit passport rules

Apparently they are selling limited and more expensive tickets to reduce the queues (see link)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/24/eurostar-trains-empty-seats-brexit-passport-rules-london-paris-brussels

But I am still hearing about indefinate queues for the ferries

Barry posted an interesting thread about them, comparing what the Brexiteers promised with what we have got.

Here we go - Politics once again John.

Please stop it - although it seems you're unable to do that!

We've gone from Food to Brexit in the blink of an eye and now we're totally off-topic just to facilitate your obsessive views.

And you don't want to ruin the thread - unbelievable!!

• Keithl locked this topic

Archived