Self Locking Doors

Grumpyman

Morning All

Is it possible to cancel the self locking  operation on a Ford  based F68 autotrail . If you happen to leave the keys inside the vehicle and go outside if you close the doors after  about thirty seconds the self locking comes in to operation so you are locked out. Oh B------r.

Hi 

Depending on year 

This may help,

To enable or disable these features, do the following:
1. Switch the ignition on.
2. Press the power door unlock button three times.
3. Switch the ignition off.
4. Press the power door unlock button three times.
5. Switch the ignition on. The horn will chirp indicating your vehicle is in programming mode.

Auto lock: Press the power door lock button for less than one second and release. The horn will chirp once if disabled or twice (one short and one long chirp) if enabled.

Auto unlock: Press the power door lock button for longer than two seconds and release. The horn will chirp once if disabled or twice (one short and one long chirp) if enabled.

After programming the feature, switch the ignition off. The horn will chirp once indicating programming is complete.

Note: You will have 30 seconds to complete the procedure.

Grumpyman

The on-line manual for a 2021 Ford Transit (on which I think your Auto-Trail motorhome is based) refers to three 'automatic' door locking/unlocking functions - Autolock, Autounlock and Automatic Re-Locking, and I think it's the last one that you are asking about.

The manual states that AutoLock or Autounlock can be enabled/disabled using the information display controls on the steering wheel. However, all the manual says about Automatic Re-Locking is

Automatic Re-Locking. The doors will re-lock automatically if you do not open a door within 45 seconds of unlocking the doors with the remote control. The door locks and the alarm will return to their previous state.

This suggests that the vehicle's owner/driver cannot easily change this function - though it may be possible for it to be reprogrammed by a Ford dealership or by using a diagnostic tool.

(My Hyundai car has the same features and, while I can easily enable/disable automatic locking and automatic unlocking via the dashboard settings display, I cannot disable automatic re-locking. So, when I unlock the car's doors with the the key-fob, I always open the driver's door straightaway. I don't THINK, if I put the key-fob inside the car, got out and shut the door, that the car would lock itself, but I can't swear that it would not as I've never tried it.)

3 hours ago, colin said:

Sorry can't answer your problem, but I Googled it and there might be some answers.

We nearly got caught out in a Dodge Ram some years back, luckily left a window open.

A GOOGLE-search shows that the power-button-pressing procedure suggested by onecal above is referred to several times on-line relating to Ford vehicles

https://tinyurl.com/ms93pzvd

It's mentioned in this forum thread

https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/8343-disable-auto-door-locking/

but this is a USA forum dedicated to Transit Connect vehicles, not the 'Big Transit' on which Grumpyman's Auto-Trail motorhome is based. It's also worth noting that the original poster (DanDweller) said that the button-pressing procedure did not work for him and - even if it had worked - it was the Automatic Re-Locking feature that he wanted to disable, not AutoLock or AutoUnlock.

This webpage provides access to Owner Manuals for UK Ford models

https://www.ford.co.uk/support/owner-manuals

The relevant Owner Manuals show that Autolock, AutoUnlock and Automatic Re-Locking were part of the Transit specification from 2014 onwards. All of the Manuals advise that AutoLock and AutoUnlock can be enabled/disabled by the vehicle's owner via the Transit's dashboard information display: none of the Manuals suggest that Automatic Re-Locking can be disabled by the vehicle's owner.

2 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

even if it had worked - it was the Automatic Re-Locking feature that he wanted to disable, not AutoLock or AutoUnlock.

Am I having a bad day? can't see any mention of relocking in OP, just self locking.

My present daily driver has relocking which can sometimes be a PITA but no big deal, I have experienced self locking which can be a nightmare. I'm not sure, but think (at least on some vehicles) the self locking only activates if keys are in back of vehicle, if in cab it doesn't activate.

Grumpyman,

Which door do you exit your AT from when the doors then lock?

If you are exiting by the habitation door then this is a design fault of many coachbuilt MH's with the hab door on the central locking system.

Basically the MH converter has added a lock/unlock solenoid on the hab door to the vans central locking system but has not added any additional switch on the hab door to tell the vans system the hab door has been opened.

To test this theory open and close a cab door and see if the MH relocks. If it does not then repeat with the hab door. If the system does then relock you need to raise this with AT as a design fault and ask for a switch to be added to the hab door.

Keith.

13 hours ago, colin said:

Am I having a bad day? can't see any mention of relocking in OP, just self locking.

The original posting included the following statement

...if you close the doors after  about thirty seconds the self locking comes in to operation... 

I interpreted this as referring to the Automatic Re-Locking feature that would be standard on a recent Ford Transit and intended to re-lock the vehicle if it had been accidentally unlocked with the remote key-fob. But Grumpyman may be referring to a different feature.

I did wonder how high the risk was of Automatic Re-locking resulting in the ignition keys being locked in a Transit, but I had overlooked the motorhome habitation-door scenario Keith has mentioned.

Archived