Can you run a 10 year old Panel Van Conversion with the original camper specific tyres?

Stuart Harley

I am looking at an Autosleeper Warwick Duo, with a well known Reading based dealer, but am concerned that it still has the original 2013 tyres. Vehicle only has 13500 miles on the clock & has just passed an MOT. Tread is fine but I am worried about likely tyre wall deterioration, cracks etc. Salesman claims that they are camper specific tyres & therefore well able to withstand the additional pressures & stresses put on them, even up to 10 years old. Bearing in mind the low mileage, it is likely vehicle has been standing for a lot of the time. Everything I have read recommends that tyres should be no older than 7 years before being changed. Any thoughts?

First question, who did the MOT? Was it the dealer selling the MH?

And have you actually checked the manufacture date codes on the tyres?

My experience is that TEN years is the maximum age for tyres to be serviceable but the regulations only specifically prevent them from being fitted to passenger carrying vehicles once over that age.

Finally what make are the tyres?

Keith.

This recent forum thread discussed tyre age (and 'camping-car' tyres)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/58170-continental-vanco-camper-tyres-and-mot-tyre-age-limits/

As highlighted in that thread (and where vehicles registered as "motor caravan" are concerned) a MOT tester is only required to confirm that the age of the tyres does NOT exceed 10 years if the vehicle "..has more than 8 passenger seats, other than vehicles of historical interest" .

My thoughts are that even though the tyres are legal their age  will worry you and you may be surprised how quickly they become 12 years and older etc. Can you not strike a deal so that the dealer replaces the tyres as part of the sale? We should not be talking about a deal breaker at the dealers cost price.

Tyres will definitely be over 10 years old. 
if 2013 was the registration year and the manufacturer could be 1 or 2 years prior to this date. 
we took our X3 down to Spain at reasonable High speeds. 
it was a 2007 low mileage car superbly looked after. 
Mon our return I took an easy ride to BHX to pick someone up. 
33 miles. 
Mon the return @ 50mph the rear tyre delaminated and deflated. 
this would have been 2016. 
I hate to think what would have happen just a few days prior. 
I probably wouldn’t loose a purchase if it’s your dream van, but maybe some discount and take it to your local tyre place for a peace of mind and have them all replaced, maybe keeping the best one for a temp replacement. 

Just changed my rear tyres. They had 34,000 miles, still some wear left, but they were manufactured in week 34 of 2014 (3414) on the sidewall, so just heading towards 9 years old.

i certainly would not entertain tyres of 10 years or older and whilst not mandatory, I believe that tyre manufacturers regard 10 years as the lifespan of a tyre.

many will tell you to change at 5 years old which personally I think is not relevant to me doing on average 9000 miles in a normal year. Also my van get all year round usage. Your van seems to have done around 1350 miles each year, so plenty of opportunity for UV damage and deterioration.

think also of the potential damage to your vans wheel arches and bodywork if a tyre shreds and flails, to say nothing of danger to you and others.

Tyres and gas, two items not not worth cutting corners on. 

Negotiate on the cost of new tyres before you buy or have the dealer change them.

Davy

Only three tyre manufacturers have marketed 'camper specific' tyres - Continental, Michelin and Pirelli.

To the best of my knowledge Pirelli 'camper' tyres have never been fitted as original equipment to motorhomes, and I can't find any guidance from that company regarding maximum tyre-age.

Continental's age-related advice is here

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-damage-age-repair/replacing-tires#:~:text=All tires (including spare tires,following the “DOT” symbol.

and Michelin's advice is here

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-buying-guide/when-do-i-need-new-tires#:~:text=Ten years is a maximum,to spare tires as well.

Both companies recommend a 10-year limit and neither company suggests that this limit does not apply to 'camper specific' tyres. 

There are a few on-line entries relating to motorhome insurance that touch on tyre age (example here)

https://www.safeguarduk.co.uk/customer-zone/out-and-about/motorhome-caravan-tyre-care

and, although an age limit of five-to-seven years is usually suggested, it's to be expected that driving a motorhome with Continental or Michelin tyres that are knowingly over 10 years old will not be looked on favourably by an insurer given both tyre manufacturers' recommended 10-year lifespan.

(Given the salesman's vey dubious advice on the longevity of  'camper specific' tyres, I'd be wondering how much faith to have regarding his/her other comments.)

24 minutes ago, thebishbus said:

It is an MOT failure  to have tyres over 10 years old on the front steering wheels, but not on the non steering rear wheels. Tyre condition is the more important thing I think with the extra weight of a M/H.

Brian B.

"The check of tyre age applies to all vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats, other than vehicles of historical interest."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/5-axles-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3

A timely reminder for me as my tyres are ten years old so feel I need to replace them now. Currently the van is fitted with Maxxis Light Truck 215/70 R15 (109/107R) tyres which give quite a pleasant ride but I have always used the Continental Vanco Camper tyres in the past. Any thoughts on this and best prices?

David

ps sorry to hijack this thread but rather than start a new one thought it may also be relevant to OP.

Well I have just replaced the Conti Vanco2 tyres on my AT as they were dated '2012' ie week 20 of 2012. They were still in good shape and I'm sure would have passed the MOT due in a few weeks but I was not prepared to run them any further past Conti's recommended ten years and we have a few thousand miles planned for this year. The new tyres were from two batches manufactured late 2022 so well less than six months old which is one of my requirements for any new tyres I have fitted to any of our vehicles.

I have had Continental VanContact 4Seasons fitted as they are M&S and Three Peak Snowflake marked (and Conti do not make a Camper tyre in my size). I am yet to put any miles on them but the fitter said they were very easy to balance and in his opinion are very good tyres. He did say he was glad I had not chosen Michelin as he regularly sees them perish and crack at four years old!

I got the best price from National Tyres with C&MC discount and had them fitted on my drive at a time of my choosing.

Keith.

Thanks Keith - have managed to order Continental 4 Season tyres at a good price in the KwikFit sale (local to me) so should get them fitted next week. Incidentally, thought mine were date code 2013 but have looked again and they are 2010! Still in very good condition but according to MOT advice should have been failed at last MOT which was done just before we bought it last year.

Will feel a lot more reassured with new ones on.

David

When I bought my 10 year old van from Highbridge Caravans they commented on the tyres on their promotional video (produced as it was during Covid so limited viewing) that although the tyres looked to have plenty of wear they would replace them if over 5 years old. Due to the pressures on their workshop that got overlooked but when that was pointed out they were happy for me to arrange for 5 new tyres sourced locally and they reimbursed me. I think the dealer should replace them as the general advice from the tyre industry is replace after 5 years.

I agree that the 10-years-old tyres should be replaced before the motorhome is bought, but not that new 'camper' tyres should necessarily be chosen.

An Auto-Sleepers Warwick Duo is a 6 metres long panel-van conversion and - unless its tyres are to be inflated to 70+ psi - fitting 'camper' tyres will have no realistic benefit over less expensive, more easily obtainable 'white van' tyres.

For what it's worth, Michelin appears to have ceased producing the "Agilis Camping" range of tyres, switching instead to "CrossClimate Camping".

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-camping

There will still be existing stocks of Agilis Camping tyres and it remains to be seen if CrossClimate Camping will be fitted as original equipment to brand-new motorhomes. (CrossClimate has a directional tread pattern that complicates matters if the motorhome carries a spare wheel that needs to be fitted in an emergency.)

Hi,

I agree with Derek and Scotjimland regarding Tyres but as you say you are "looking" with the intention of buying so I would be looking for all of the tyres to be the best quality when purchasing your motorhome . 

It's a personal choice and as in most cases you get what you pay for and hopefully if you do purchase the motorhome ,that you get many years of enjoyment 

Regards 

Archived