No Smoking

howie

Might even have to share the same bed the way things are going Michele, but what with your cough it,ll be more out than in i,m afraid. Some real oddballs on this forum don,t you think. Wonder where Mel and Twooks have got to. *-)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michele - 2007-07-05 8:08 AM

Clive

Howie is not a smoker he hates it !

But i beleive that he believes in health care for all no matter what they have done. Thing is clive where do you draw the line at who is treated and who is not let's not treat bad boy yardies because they choose to get involved with drugs and guns and shoot each other but we do .

We treat everyone self inflicted or not and long should it continue.

I hope I make it as far as you with the fags clive but I dont think that it will make me feel any different about the NHS I think I would be looking for some fat cat managers to loose their jobs and foreigners that don't pay a penny and other parasites before I would say to a person who dared to become inflicted by the weed no you can't have an op.

As they say Clive hindsight is a wonderful thing.

michele this thread has caused more angst than than my andy stothert one, apologies again, your xenophobia is well grounded,(me guilty as charged) we have foreign language students to stay in our home, after 6mths they can access the nat health service for free,having not paid any nat insure, this applies to anybody who is resident in the country for 6mths, before that they go to a&e, still free, my point is. smoking,never done it,disgusting, blah blah etc, but i played football for 25yrs, my knees are knackered will this be classed as self inflicted in the future.

Put it this way if you had an accident in another country

I would be left on a trolley until they checked if I had insurance .....

I don't make them wrong just a shame it doesn't happen here!

Who was it that said there will always be an England...

michele - 2007-07-07 8:47 PM

Put it this way if you had an accident in another country

I would be left on a trolley until they checked if I had insurance .....

I don't make them wrong just a shame it doesn't happen here!

Who was it that said there will always be an England...

if i had an accident in anther country why would you be left on a trolley (joke).i,m with you, we are in the eec , bananas can be standardised why not health care, could it be money or could it be that our leaders already get it.as the evening goes on i get more cynical.

If you read the experiences of Terry Hart (Terrytraveller) in France and Alan Rothery (Alanr) in Italy, I think you may find all this angst about our treatment of those who haven't paid NI contributions a bit out of place.  Both quickly recieved good and quite complex treatment.  True, they had to pay a portion of the cost through medical insurance, but their respective EHICs will have ensured most of the costs were picked up by the French and Italian health services respectively.

It is we British, through our elected representatives, who have invented our "free" system.  If we'd prefer a partially insurance based system, which I think might actually be quite a good thing as a way of sorting the genuine chronically ill from those seeking treatment for basically self inflicted injuries, I haven't heard much of it to date. 

However, I really don't think we can get away with loving it when we benefit, but hating it when someone else benefits.  If we try that tack, and just exclude all visitors from NHS treatment, all our reciprocal health agreements will go and our holiday health insurance costs will rise accordingly.

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-08 12:58 PM

If you read the experiences of Terry Hart (Terrytraveller) in France and Alan Rothery (Alanr) in Italy, I think you may find all this angst about our treatment of those who haven't paid NI contributions a bit out of place. Both quickly recieved good and quite complex treatment. True, they had to pay a portion of the cost through medical insurance, but their respective EHICs will have ensured most of the costs were picked up by the French and Italian health services respectively.

It is we British, through our elected representatives, who have invented our "free" system. If we'd prefer a partially insurance based system, which I think might actually be quite a good thing as a way of sorting the genuine chronically ill from those seeking treatment for basically self inflicted injuries, I haven't heard much of it to date.

However, I really don't think we can get away with loving it when we benefit, but hating it when someone else benefits. If we try that tack, and just exclude all visitors from NHS treatment, all our reciprocal health agreements will go and our holiday health insurance costs will rise accordingly.

i agree brian when the arrangement is reciprocal as in most eu countries but is it fair that a foreign national from any country in the world can receive totally free treatment including dentistry, maybe delaying residents treatment. i am a strong supporter of the welfare state but i feel there should be a qualifying period longer than 6mths unless the person is an eu citizen or has contributed. it, just a point of view, i don,t like handbags.

martin r c - 2007-07-08 6:36 PM

Well it's been 1 week.anybody given up because of the ban yet (?)

Martin

I know of one or two Martin, and Michele of course, and I don,t think its all down to the inconvenience of the limited areas where they are now allowed to smoke. I think its finally sinking in that it really is anti social, that the jokes are wearing thin, and that people are simply not prepared to put up with "sharing" their habit any longer.

Guest caraprof
I've been away for three weeks but I heard from a friend who emailed to tell me that one of the two guys caught smoking at Glasgow Airport, as mentioned earlier in this thread, was called Singhma Djeep but he doesn't know the name of the other one.

foxy - 2007-06-08 11:47 AM

spent a month in Southern Ireland where there has a been a ban for a while. No one had a problem with it and it was nice to come out not smelling of stale baccy. In malta a few weks ago and again they have had a ban for a while, no problems there either.

What I do find hard to believe is the fact that England is one of last to introduce it.

I was in southern Ireland last october and noticed that every pub seemed to have a group of smokers at the entrance, which you had to squeeze through to get in. :'( One evening I spent in a pub up the road, talking and joking with a bunch of friendly locals, who would desert me every twenty minutes or so. Even the barman dissapeared, leaving me alone and feeling like a leper. *-)

On very good authority & NOT a joke, but you've got another two weeks to be able to smoke in a pub legally.

Where ???? Stoke on Trent area, as they've not set up their byelaws as yet and have no spot checkers.This is from someone who lives in the area, don't forget Stoke council where voted the worse council in the UK in a recent pole.

And before anyone has a go, I'm not getting at anyone from the Stoke area.

Thai 

Thank God we moved to Spain, where the Politically Correct Thought Police haven't yet mobilised, and people (and individual bars etc) can still decide for themselves what they want to do/allow.

I guess it's only a matter of time before your UK Government decides for you what your moral position should be on every other issue.......

I have always been a believer that Good Government is Small Government.

And that really ain't what you put up with in the UK now.

(Rant now over.)

The really good news for me about this smoking ban is that most of the other regular entrants into our local's Friday night darts knockout smoke. Why is this good news? you may ask. Well they don't throw so accurately without a burning weed in their hand which gives me a better chance of not being knocked out in the first round (lol) .

Oh yes and I can see the dartboard a lot more clearly without the fugg of smoke from Eddie's smouldering treestump of a cigar.

D.

Archived