No Smoking

howie

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not me Howie, Michele started it ages ago ... you been snogging her again in secret? That's how you catch things you know. My ex-boss has a theory for how people get a common cold and knowing how big a baby men are when they get colds there's no way he could hide it if he caught one so ... I think his Mama just told him that to keep him away from the girls. (lol)

michele - 2007-06-30 8:41 PM

Anyway why don't they stop the manufactors making em if they are serious ..........cheats .Gordon Brown need's the money

I refer you to my replies to Howie on page three of this thread. If you think the Government should stop the manufacturers why do you still smoke? You said earlier you'd give up when YOU want to and not when you're TOLD to but if the Government banned it all together you'd be forced into giving up.

your statements appear to contradict themselves. One minute you're bleating on about being told when and where you can or cannot smoke the next you're saying why don't the Government ban it all together!

D.

Dave

Wishing to bow to your superiorness I am struggling with giving up smoking !!. i have been trying for as long as this thread has been running and if there is one thing that I have learnt with Hindsight it is never be a smoker in the first place when your parents tell you.

All smokers know in their heart of hearts that they are mugs . They know that they had NO NEED to smoke before they became hooked . Most of them can remember that their first cigarette tasted awful and that they had to work hard in order to become hooked. The most annoying part is that they sense that non smokers are not missing anything and they are laughing at them(its difficult not to on budget day).

However smokers are intelligent rational human beings. they know that they are taking enormous health risks and they spend a fortune on cigarettes in their lifetime . Therefore it is necessary for them to have a rational explanation to justify their habit.

The actual reason why smokers continue to smoke is nicotine adiction and brain washing. So i will continue to read my book much better than patches or inhalers not much point in that weaning off one substitute for the other I think thats crazy as you still get the fix of the nicotine and I want to be nicotine free . I am looking at it as easy as this I have lost nothing but I have gained my health the money and the smugness of knowing that I have done it ....Don't give up giving up and if you don't smoke don't ever go their

Dave PM

the tortoise - 2007-07-02 10:07 AM

Good for you, Michele - keep trying.

John

Same here Michele. I know you,ve taken some stick over smoking on this thread but we all back you, and any others, in trying to give it up. Not just to prove a smug point either, but genuine concern regarding long term health issues. Its not going to be easy I know, and like any other addiction you are going to have to give it all you,ve got if you are going to succeed, but at least you have a ready made helpline here on this forum when things get tough.

All went well at the pub last night, with only a few good natured grumbles from the smokers, and a lot of leg pulling everytime they went outside for a smoke from everyone else, but the deed is done and everyone accepts it.

Just a footnote. In 1620 James 1st banned smoking and the growing of tobacco as he thought it was a health hazard. Nothing new here then.

howie - 2007-07-02 10:44 AM

the tortoise - 2007-07-02 10:07 AM

Good for you, Michele - keep trying.

John

In 1620 James 1st banned smoking and the growing of tobacco as he thought it was a health hazard. Nothing new here then.

And in 1621 he realised that he could tax it so rescinded the ban? Nothing new here either.

Regards,

Mike

Good for you Michele, keep at it and eventually you will feel the benefit. As an added incentive to quit why not put your smoking money in a jar and save it up till you can afford something really nice for yourself? I know one chap did this when he quit and gradually bought himself a really good set of golf clubs one at a time and payed for pro lessons. After six months he was a non smoking golfer with a good handicap (and it wasn't nicotine)!

D.

Mike Chapman - 2007-07-02 1:24 PM.

And in 1621 he realised that he could tax it so rescinded the ban? Nothing new here either.

Regards,

Mike

Such scepticism Mike. Surely not suggesting those in power would put profit before the nations health!. As for putting money in a jar, never mind the lessons and golf clubs, I could have bought my own private golf course with the money I spent on smoking over the years. :-(

Why is it that so many people use patches ! Hey not slating anyone what ever gets you through the night is alright ....Its just that in reading this book he does it with no scare tactics but he makes you realise that one is just a substitute for the other . He isn't telling you anything that you don't already know its stuff you already know and as you read it you realise HEY He's right thats me ! It takes a smoker to know a smoker its a crutch and we look for it and always wait until a stressful time to give it up such as skint bad health chest infection stress and then we fail dismally because we blame all the above reasons for it !

justa little quote from the book which made me recognise myself how many of you do as well lets see..........................

When we smoked that first cigarette ,we experienced a dizzy feeling or actul physical sickness . It was our body telling us YOU ARE FEEDING ME POISON STOP IT! This is the stage that often decides wether or not we become smokers or not. It is a falasey that physically weak people and mentally weak willed people become smokers

The lucky ones are those who find the first cigarette repulsive .

This to me is the most tragic part of this whole business .How hard we work to become hooked ,and this is why it is difficult to stop teenagers because they are still learning to smoke because they still find cigarettes distasteful they believe that they can stop at anytime.Why do they not learn from us then again why did we not learn from our parents

HIndsight 20 20 vision what a wonderful thing !

Michelle the best way to give up smoking was a tip given over the radio a few years ago and that was to tell someone you don't really like but have to put up with in your life that you have given up.

Its really hard to admit that you are weak and cannot do something so simple in their eyes. None smoking work colleagues are usually a good one.

Been stopped a while now and the only thing that bothers me is that you smell and don't realise how much until you stop.

Good luck hun !!

yep nearly at the end of the book now will finish it tonight no point in putting it down just deluding myself ......Tomorrow is the day and I am not going to miss it I am not going to fall into the trap of I have lost my crutch I am moping about not having a fag .I,m going forward positively and not looking back from tomorrow when I wake up I will be a NO SMOKER .

It can't be that bad after all the pangs dont wake me up out of my sleep do they ...

Hmmm. I don,t know if they are still around Michele but you used to be able to get those small lozenges that reacted to cigarette smoke. No flavour until you lit up and then the taste was revolting, but if I remember right it lasted for hours and put you off your food as well. Not going to be easy, but we,re all behind you.

OAL Moderator - 2007-07-03 5:29 PM

Folks,

Some of these postings are getting a little near the knuckle - could you refrain from posting anything that could give offence please.

I'm sorry Mr Moderator but which postings on this thread have been "a little near the knuckle"? I haven't seen anything particularly offensive on this thread.

D.

Archived