No Smoking

howie

Well - interesting views.

As a 10 a day man can I please say from the start that I don't smoke in the house, in the 'van, in restaurants or if i'm having a couple of pints in the pub with the lads, so as far as the new law is concerned, it's absolutely no problem to me.

However, the rumour now is that the Government is going to employ a number of "officials" to make sure that I don't throw my tab end away on the pavement. If I do they will fine me £80, again, no problem. It's no different to throwing a sweet paper on the pavement, if I do this I expect to be fined £80.

What I would ask is, if the Government is going to employ a number of "officials" to ensure that I do not throw used cigarettes on the pavement, please employ the same enthusiasm to drivers using the phone (today in an 8 mile journey, I counted 6 drivers flouting the law) and also the same enthusiasm to dog owners allowing their dogs to foul the pavement and not clean up after them. 

Recently on a CC site our "neighbours" had 3 large dogs in an Autosleeper Neuvo, no problem, each to their own. But on the first morning all 3 dogs circled our van and did their business while we were having breakfast with their owner trailing behind with the obligatory Tesco carrier bag.

Needless to say we moved on. Chatting to the Warden while cancelling the following days, she explained that it was becoming a major problem on all sites and virtually impossible to Police.

So, in conclusion, the new smoking law is no problem, I agree with it, but please enforce the existing laws on mobile phone use when driving and dog fouling with the same enthusiasm.

Remember that using a mobile phone when driving or allowing your dog to foul without cleaning up (particularly where children play) can be equally as dangerous as passive smoking.

PS - if you see a sad old git sitting outside a Knaus having a "quick one", feel free to come and have a coffee...... 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supprised at the strength of feeling against smoking which borders on paranoia with some of the views expressed. In the 12 years since I gave it up we seem to have been brainwashed into believing smoking ranks alongside murder rape and treason. Of course its objectional to be subjected to the effects of someone smoking close by, but surely with a little thought and common sense provision could be made for those who enjoy this habit.

A small room has already been built at the rear of our local, and though three sides are meant to be open, sliding partition doors can be used as protection from the worst of the elements. A extractor fan will be fitted, but no doubt the thought police will be filled with their usual rightous fury if these doors are ever used, and if they can,t ban it completley then they,ll do their damndest to make it as uncomfortable as possible.

For a lot of old timers, a pint and a fag or pipe full of baccy is one of the few affordable pleasures left to them, so if its possible then let them enjoy it while they can.

Smoking kills, but nowhere near as many as rightous intolerance does.

Guest caraprof
howie - 2007-06-09 12:16 AM Supprised at the strength of feeling against smoking which borders on paranoia with some of the views expressed. In the 12 years since I gave it up we seem to have been brainwashed into believing smoking ranks alongside murder rape and treason. Of course its objectional to be subjected to the effects of someone smoking close by, but surely with a little thought and common sense provision could be made for those who enjoy this habit. A small room has already been built at the rear of our local, and though three sides are meant to be open, sliding partition doors can be used as protection from the worst of the elements. A extractor fan will be fitted, but no doubt the thought police will be filled with their usual rightous fury if these doors are ever used, and if they can,t ban it completley then they,ll do their damndest to make it as uncomfortable as possible. For a lot of old timers, a pint and a fag or pipe full of baccy is one of the few affordable pleasures left to them, so if its possible then let them enjoy it while they can. Smoking kills, but nowhere near as many as rightous intolerance does.

A bit of common sense at last!

Well , looks like we will be virtual friends for ever I smoke I,m not proud of it HINDSIGHT however, I,m not going o be bullied into giving it up ...

I will when and if I want to .. yes I know what it does to you but then so does sex... and come to think of it every thing in this life ..

So, when you are all not enjoying me paying taxes to Gordon for him to spend and he is wacking it on someone else's M/H or house or what ever ....Smile and think of me.

Puff Puff...

howie - 2007-06-09 12:16 AM  For a lot of old timers, a pint and a fag or pipe full of baccy is one of the few affordable pleasures left to them, so if its possible then let them enjoy it while they can. Smoking kills, but nowhere near as many as rightous intolerance does.

I know what you mean Howard, but you're living in the past!  I think you meant to say was "..........a pint and a fag or a pipe full of baccy is one of the unaffordable pleasures........"  Either that, or all the old timers where you live are rich!  :-)

However, I'm afraid I'll be one of those who'll be glad when the ban finally comes in.  Cafes, pubs, restaurants etc always get spoiled for us by a thoughtless smoker somewhere.  The smoke drifts and curls around and, if you don't smoke, its acrid smell really is offensive and unpleasant.  Ventilation systems often draw the smoke away from the smoker towards others.  People get terribly huffy if you ask them to hold their smouldering cigarette further away from you, or if you say you do object when they have the manners to ask if you mind them lighting up.  If you have a meal, it's ten to one someone at the next table will light up between courses, or because they've finished, without thought for those still eating.  I don't go for an evening out to get involved in an argument over smoking, I go for "quiet enjoyment", as they say. 

I'm afraid it is the smoker who imposes, not the non-smoker.  Without tobacco smoke, the air is untainted, the food tastes as it should, the eyes don't sting, and your clothes don't smell like an ashtray when you leave.  Leaving aside health issues, that is what inconsiderate smoking imposes on others. 

Loud music in the middle of the night is, for many, an imposition.  It ruins your sleep.  Some people think they should be allowed to continue playing it, whatever its affect on others.  Those affected think the noise should be restrained.  Reasonable folk recognise that, and are quiet at night.  Why do those same people, if they happen to be smokers, fail to see that the same is true of their smoke?

Couldn't agree more that smokers should have their own room ... lets go back to the good old days of Smoke Rooms in pubs!!

Even though I detest smoking near me I do appreciate that to some it is an enjoyable pastime. At work they want to ban smoking on the site totally but as that's not going to happen anytime soon they are just going to ban it in buildings and outside within 5 metres of building entrances, again, not a bad thing, can't do with having to run the gauntlet of all the smoke around the entrances just to get to work and them ending up looking like ashtrays with all the fag ends lying around. Now, the only problem is that they don't want to have to put up any smoking shelters etc, me, I've defended the smokers and have said they SHOULD have somewhere they can go to smoke, for some just giving up is not an option, even if they wanted to, it's not that easy, I do appreciate that having had members of my family who have given up smoking and found it incredibly hard. It is an addiction to many.

If you want to smoke, that's your right, no problem, just don't inflict it on me please.

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-09 2:14 PM
howie - 2007-06-09 12:16 AM  For a lot of old timers, a pint and a fag or pipe full of baccy is one of the few affordable pleasures left to them, so if its possible then let them enjoy it while they can. Smoking kills, but nowhere near as many as rightous intolerance does.

I know what you mean Howard, but you're living in the past!  I think you meant to say was "..........a pint and a fag or a pipe full of baccy is one of the unaffordable pleasures........"  Either that, or all the old timers where you live are rich! 

Point taken Brian. Packet of fags, one or two pints and a bag of chips on the way home makes a hell of a dent in your pension. Mel mentioned the word "addiction" and let there be no doubt that this is exactly what it is (where in some cases its been proved that tobacco manufactures make sure you stay hooked by including additives proven to be addictive). After twelve years I still get the the odd temptation, and while smypathy for the smoker will always be in short supply I do feel more could be done for those who are determined to give it up. Looking at how the ban has gone in Ireland, Scotland and Wales the transition seems to have gone reasonably well with both businesses and the public adapting without to many problems, and I imagine England will follow suit.Hi Michele. How's your sore throat. Feeling better I hope. ;-)

Forester - 2007-06-11 7:15 AM

Just one question!!! How & who is going to police it?

We all are! If anyone comes into my local while I'm in there and lights up after the first of July they will be politely but firmly told that they can no longer do that legally but they can go into the beer garden where there is a purpose made shelter.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-06-11 7:24 AM

We all are!

It would be a foolish landlord who risked losing his licence by allowing people to continue to smoke. Dave makes a good point though - there are bound to be one or two "awkward customers" and if we all support the landlords they won't stay awkward for long.

Graham

Forester - 2007-06-11 7:15 AM Just one question!!! How & who is going to police it?
We all are! If anyone comes into my local while I'm in there and lights up after the first of July they will be politely but firmly told that they can no longer do that legally but they can go into the beer garden where there is a purpose made shelter. D.

pay for it yes police it no

michele - 2007-06-11 9:28 AM

Wayne ! Pay for what it's my Tax that pays for you ...

Well it does go some way to cover the cost of smoking related illnesses I suppose. No problem enforcing this law Chopper. As Dave said, lighting up in a pub or cafe simply will not be tolerated with the error of your ways soon pointed out. Can you imagine bar staff becoming ill through the owners allowing this. Litigation would take on a whole new meaning.

Take no notice of whats been said Michele. You may be treated as an outcast, but as long as it affects no one else you have every right to smell like a old ashtray, be covered in nicotine stains and cough your lungs out everytime you see those age lines on your face that smoking brings about. Not only that, but I remember reading somewhere of all the side benifits of smoking published by Doctors working for the tobacco industry. Can,t be all bad news can it. :-S

michele - 2007-06-11 2:47 PM

lol hang on badger I'll give it up tomorrow :D

I gave up the day after National No Smoking Day 1994. I wanted to give up but I decided that no beggar was going to tell me when to give up :-D

Graham

One landlord I knew years back, who was quite an entertaining character, had ashtrays at intervals all around his horseshoe shaped bar, that ran from the "Public" round to the "Saloon".  He smoked woodbines, and always took as puff as he surved, but then put the fag down in an ashtray as he took the money.  If the last fag was out of reach when he took his next order, he just lit another fag, puff, ashtray, and so on.  By half way through an evening, he'd have one lit in every ashtray, so then just worked and puffed his way from order to order, and from ashtray to ashtray! 

Production line smoking: sheer brilliance, so efficient and we invented it, not the Germans!  Don't know how he'd cope with the new regulations, it'd never work if he had to keep trotting outside for his puffs.  I think he probably have ended up trying to smoke the drinks and light the beer engines!

Guest peter

We all are! If anyone comes into my local while I'm in there and lights up after the first of July they will be politely but firmly told that they can no longer do that legally but they can go into the beer garden where there is a purpose made shelter.

D.

.............and Dave goes home with black eye. He he he. :D

peter - 2007-06-11 9:24 PM

D.

.............and Dave goes home with black eye. He he he. :D

And the smoker wakes up to a nice plate of hospital food, he he he! At least he'll get the chance to give up smoking! In serious mode I did say "politely but firmly" and I do know that all the regulars, including the smokers, in my local would back me up in politely telling the offender where to take his foul habit. ;-)

D.

Guest caraprof

The one thing that really winds me up about all of this is the self-righteousness of the non-smoking brigade. Phrases like telling someone what to do with his 'foul habit' are typical and very telling!

I've never been a smoker but I'm all for tolerance and equating smokers with heroin addicts and perverts by calling them people with 'foul habits' is very much over the top.

As an ex smoker I do consider it to be a "foul habit", I considered it as such when I was addicted to it and I still do. I don't currently complain about people smoking in pubs because they have a legal right to do so until July 1st. After that it is a different story and if anyone lights up in a pub where I am I will either speak to them directly and politely or speak to the management of the establishment. Why should I tolerate being poisoned with other peoples foul smelling fumes? I do not preach about non smoking to those that smoke. The last few occasions when this topic has come up in my local it has been raised by smokers, several of whom (not sure that's the proper grammar but I'm sure someone will correct me if necessary) have quite openly stated that they look forward to it happening because it will help them to cut down, if not stop entirely. There are others who will not give up come what may but they have all agreed to abide by the rules and go outside for a fag when the urge takes them.

D.

Archived