Avtex Pro TV no signal

david lloyd

Just away for a few days - TV has been fine until now. The booster seems to be working as the signal meter gives a really strong signal at the TV input end but when I try tuning in it comes up with zero channels (TV, Radio, Data) - normally even a poor signal would pick up some channels but poor picture. Have WiFi in the van so watching on a Roku box but concerned this may be the digital tuner. When I get home I can test it by plugging it into my home aerial but in the meantime any ideas for things to check?

David

22 minutes ago, Adiebt said:

Try the aerial connections , some have a two way input for antenna and external ( pillar boost ) signal . 
Might even be a switch over switch somewhere that has been “ nudged “ . 

Thanks for the suggestion - no other switched but the booster and tried switching between the two outputs but with the same outcome. It’s concerning because nothing has changed with regard to the wiring or system since we’ve had the van.

David

So, rang Avtex who are very helpful and talked me through doing a factory reset (on the SOURCE menu type in 2580 to bring up another menu and scroll down to Factory Reset / press ok) but this didn’t correct the fault. Could certainly be a failed tuner but they say it is unusual. Either plug another (known to be working) TV into this aerial or plug this TV into another (known to be working) aerial. I can do this back at home next week and check the TV tunes in on our home aerial. If not, it’s a matter of sending it back to Avtex - 3 year warranty but I think mine is out of that period. In that case it would be around £146 for the repair, parts and collection/delivery.

Or, I can take up bird watching or Zen Buddhist meditation…. 🤥

David

On 2/24/2023 at 5:08 AM, Adiebt said:

You shouldn’t be watching TV in your van , have you thought about bird watching or Zen Buddhist meditation instead ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Adbiet, interesting that you would find both activities stimulating!!

31 minutes ago, david lloyd said:

Think you are probably right Brian - as I say, should get a definitive answer when I get home at plug it into the house aerial.

David

I just read elsewhere that BBC have stopped transmitting standard transmissions and are only using HD now we had to retune our receiver  

Just another thought, Avtex are multistandard, are you tuning in on the UK digital system ?. We still receive BBC on standard transmission and HD from Sutton Coldfield !  The other thing it could be is a power supply failure to the tuner unit.

ps try switching    between standards, may nudge something into life.               Brian B.

1 hour ago, witzend said:

I just read elsewhere that BBC have stopped transmitting standard transmissions and are only using HD now we had to retune our receiver  

On Freeview BBC are still transmitting SD as well as HD. On Freesat they have dropped some if not all SD.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update those who were interested - the TV went back to Avtex (great technical service, arrange pick up and delivery, good communications about what’s going on) last week who rang me the day after it arrived with some good news and some not so good news. The technician tried it on two different aerials and it tuned in ok 😲. But, he went on to say the screen did have a broad line down it ☹️. He wanted to see what action I wanted to take - replace the tuner anyway (£146) and or replace the screen (a further (£175).

The other option was they would take the TV in part exchange for a new ‘Smart TV’ at a cost to me of £300 🥳. As mine was getting on a bit anyway and, taking the cost of either repair into account, I chose the latter. It also meant I didn’t have to use my old Roku box to connect to the WiFi. The new TV arrived next day (again great service) and I excitedly installed it, connected to WiFi and set that up then connected to the terrestrial aerial - nothing, zero, nada! Having rechecked all the connections for wayward strands of copper outer sheath touching the inner core etc I decided to plug my 25’ extension lead (for use on sites with poor reception) directly from the booster to the TV and, lo and behold, I had all the channels.

It turns out that the new coaxial cable (with gold plated ends) I bought last year that goes from TV to wall socket was the culprit - it’s now in the bin and I simply cut a short length off my extension cable, put new connectors on and have a perfectly good signal.

Ready for our next trip.

David

Archived