2007 X250 Ducato funny goings on!

Simon F

Hi all, new to the forum scene but need help, over the last few months our MH has developed strange goings on! it appeared to start with the right hand turn indicator throwing up an error on the dash and flashing double speed but on inspection outside all is well, this can stay like this for many miles working then not! then I noticed if you put the headlights on full indicator works ok but switch lights of again and fault appears again!

Next I was made aware my headlights were going on and off on their own with the switch off and the camper locked, pressing the remote to unlock/lock and they go off same as opening and closing the door but only for them to go back on and off again by themselves!

What I have done: cleaned the earth lead under filter, checked all bulbs, swopped bulbs and even headlights over, pulled all fuses and relays and cleaned terminals, what I found in doing so: drivers mirror not original wrong wattage bulb so replaced, same problem, I have wiggled many wires but nothing shows up an error, the only thing that MAYBE has is thumping the dash from drives side and occasionaly flasher works ok for a few seconds but reverts after a very short while.

Help any suggestions!

6 hours ago, Simon F said:

Hi all, new to the forum scene but need help, over the last few months our MH has developed strange goings on! it appeared to start with the right hand turn indicator throwing up an error on the dash and flashing double speed but on inspection outside all is well, this can stay like this for many miles working then not! then I noticed if you put the headlights on full indicator works ok but switch lights of again and fault appears again!

Next I was made aware my headlights were going on and off on their own with the switch off and the camper locked, pressing the remote to unlock/lock and they go off same as opening and closing the door but only for them to go back on and off again by themselves!

What I have done: cleaned the earth lead under filter, checked all bulbs, swopped bulbs and even headlights over, pulled all fuses and relays and cleaned terminals, what I found in doing so: drivers mirror not original wrong wattage bulb so replaced, same problem, I have wiggled many wires but nothing shows up an error, the only thing that MAYBE has is thumping the dash from drives side and occasionaly flasher works ok for a few seconds but reverts after a very short while.

Help any suggestions!

I assume that the section that I have highlighted in bold type, refers to the engine earth strap.  Previous advice from Euroserve (Nick) was to change every 4 years.  Apparently corrosion occurs inside the crimped connections, so just cleaning up may not help. It does not have to be an OEM part.  A suitable replacement from Halfords or local auto accessory shop will suffice.  A possible check is to install a temporary jump lead between an engine lifting lug or other clean point, and a clean chassis bolt.

I would be tempted to replace and take it from there.

Alan

Apart from the earth cables that have been suggested (engine to body , battery to body and dash/loom) it may be worth checking that the power supply  midi-fuses at the starter battery positive terminal are in good condition and their connections tight.

Had starting problems and checking the battery, noticed cable was quietly corroding away, some of the was damage caused by me whilst removing it, crimps are not the best way to connect a terminal tho.

2 hours ago, Simon F said:

Thanks Labby,

Tried all the multi plugs but could not see any earth points will look again tomorrow.

Simon F

The earth connections on the Ducato may be individual or multiway.  I am only familiar with those on my earlier x244. It has some discrete earth points under the dash in the heater fan area, and multiway earths. The multiway earths are similar to a multiway connector, but with a common bolting tab on one half.  On my x244 there is a multiway earth point on the RH A pillar at the lower edge of the dash. Connecting wires to these multiway earths are typically black/violet in colour.  If you want to find out more, Fiat eLearn is perhaps the best source, but not without errors.  Available on CD via EBay for under £5. You will need Windows computer with CD drive, or buy as a download.

Unfortunately another possible cause for the original problem may be a faulty BCM.  It should at least be considered.

Alan

19 hours ago, Alanb said:

I assume that the section that I have highlighted in bold type, refers to the engine earth strap.  Previous advice from Euroserve (Nick) was to change every 4 years.  Apparently corrosion occurs inside the crimped connections, so just cleaning up may not help. It does not have to be an OEM part.  A suitable replacement from Halfords or local auto accessory shop will suffice.  A possible check is to install a temporary jump lead between an engine lifting lug or other clean point, and a clean chassis bolt.

I would be tempted to replace and take it from there.

Alan

Cheers Alan, on order

I don't know if this is the cause but its worth checking anyway

Under the nearside headlight the loom passes over a smooth round steel tube.

One wouldn't expect the loom to chafe on this smooth round tube.

But it tends to wear away the paint, trap water, cause rust which acts like sandpaper on the loom!

And its well hidden - You can't see it without pulling the loom away from the tube to see where it chafes.  Which people don't because they don't imagine it would chafe on a smooth tube.

I was shocked by how much it had worn away the loom insulation

So wrapped it in tape and rubber hose to protect it.

X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(3).jpg

X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(2).jpg

X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I have tried and looked at them all now to no avail! I did leave it for a week without the headlights comming on then I started it up tried the indicator again withou any joy walked away for the headlights to come on! pressed remote and they went off only to come on again shortly afterwards, pressed the relay/come proggrame switch a few times and pulled the headlight stalk towards me with ignition off that is all, and they have not been on for three days but indicator sound still persists to sound rapidly despite the bulbs all flashing normally!!

One thing I have noticed is when I put the headlights on with the indicator flashing rapidly to the right I can clearly hear a relay under the pasenger seat actuating and then the indicator flashes normally, this relay I believe to be part of the conversion from Dethleffs.

Any help appreciated. S

The link between the headlights , indicators and locking could be (as Alanb has  suggested) the BCM which controls these and other electrical operations  .

The only link I can think of between the headlights  and the Dethleffs (Schaudt ? ) system is the side marker lights operation which may have a separate fuse/relay module

Hi All

Slightly different problem on my previous x250 but wiring issues were annoying, an auto electrician looked at and found under the fusebox on the drivers side one of the multiplugs had a poor connection, bear with and I will try to explain as best I can, the male and female sides of the plug where it pushes together, one of the female pins was pushed back by the male pin instead of fully engaging, the little non return tags had not clicked in place on assembly and this gave a poor connection for some years until the connection dislodged completely by bump? vibration? don't know but he found it and cured all the issues I had, he said he had found the problem before so kind of knew where to look.

He did phone me well short of an hour after leaving it with him, so tend to believe him, might be worth a look though.

DD

Archived