Renewing road tax early

ChasB

You do it online now so no need to do it early or let it expire. You should receive the reminder about 2 or 3 weeks before expiry so get someone to send you the code and it is that easy.

In fact letting it expire without declaring SORN invokes an automatic fine of £80

image.thumb.png.7e3799815b47029f8884f5be78fbdc40.png

As Keith says, you can renew online if you have the access (You should have the requisite V5C with you as an essential document anyway). It's a reasonably easy way to cover yourself now that no tax disk is issued.

Alternatively, it is possible to renew up to two months in advance by post (if you trust them to return the V5C in time for your departure).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-advance

As said above it is fairly straight forward online with your registration docs or a reminder. you can put it on a direct debit easily enough where it just continues until you cancel. Monthly, 6 monthly or yearly. As long as your mot and insurance are good, they check everything electronically. Very straight forward. Monthly is very easy if you don't use your vehicle for the full 12 months.

9 minutes ago, stevec176 said:

If you renew on line make sure you do it at the end of the month, a couple of days before it's due, or you'll be charged from the start of the month you're renewing in.

Steve,

If you use the code on the reminder form V11 this clearly states the start date of the new tax as the first day of the following month. I have just renewed my MH tax in the last few minutes!

Keith.

image.thumb.png.a95ae5e19252feec361187cacac7bc97.png

11 hours ago, stevec176 said:

If you renew on line make sure you do it at the end of the month, a couple of days before it's due, or you'll be charged from the start of the month you're renewing in.

I usually renew online around the beginning of the month before it expires and have not been charged extra.  Surprisingly quick and easy.

As Derek says, the problems with DVLA seem to arise when you want anything even slightly out of the ordinary.  Like taxing after SORN.  Not a straightforward renewal.

We leave 10th May until middle of June. Tax up at end May, so the V11 reminder will arrive after we have left the UK. I normally renew on line when I have the V11. I have found out from DVLA that you can renew before receipt of the V11 and the earliest this can be is 5th May for expiry at the end of May.

So no problems now. I hope this advice helps others in a similar situation.

Years ago we had a vehicle tax that always needed renewing at an ' inconvenient ' time - i.e. when we were usually away in the summer.

So I taxed it ONE time for six months only - to move the next renewal to the middle of winter - then reverted to taxing for twelve months.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:36 PM, colin said:

I believe you can set up a direct debit to tax yearly (as well as monthly)

Not sure I'd take the chance of setting up a direct debit with a government department.

I imagine that either stopping or changing it could take months !

😊

It’s simplistic. 
our vehicles are all on auto renewal. 
to stop it’s easy. Simply stop your direct debit we stopped and started my work 8 seater during and just after covid with no problem. 
this government scheme works seamlessly, and no problem while your abroad. 

Archived