New door locks

Robert whiteside

Hi & thanks for letting me join. I've just bought a 2002 Fiat Ducato motorhome. Not really sure much about it or the maker of the conversion but it's a 2 berth with fixed bed. I bought it blind due to distance involved. However all the motorhome lock's are separate key's apart from the cab & ignition. Can anyone tell me where I could buy the full lock set? Any advice appreciated 

20220930_160610.jpg

Screenshot_20220930-123813_Messenger.jpg

20220930_160621.jpg

Hi Robert and welcome.

The converter is McLouis as the decal over the front but I'm not sure exactly what model. Is there anything else written on the bodywork?

You should be able to get new lock cylinders for the door and locker locks as long as they are the same key style. Have a look at https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/zadi or on ebay for maybe ZADI or Vecam locks.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan-accessories/caravan-door-fittings/compartment-locks

You can normally remove the old cylinder with a special key...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184442134952?

Thank you both for advice. I am currently looking into your suggestions. On delivery I was given a small bunch of key's (approx 8). Is it normal to have a separate key for each lock? As mentioned previously one of the locks came away with the key when i tried to remove the key. I'm really not sure of any other model type/name on the motorhome but I will have a good look when I next nip down to start her up. I shall attach interior pic's if you think it could help with identification. Thanks again for advice. Rob 

Rob

I think your motorhome is a McLouis "Lagan" 251 or 252 model and that its habitation-area entrance door has a FAP "Firenze" lock, with the toilet cassette-locker door (and lock) coming from Thetford..

Nowadays a brand-new motorhome would be expected to be supplied with one design of key that would operate the vehicle's ignition-switch, cab door locks and the fuel filler-cap. A 2nd design of key would operate all the other locks associated with the vehicle's conversion into a motorhome (ie. the locks for the habitation-area entrance door, gas locker door, toilet cassette-locker door, storage locker door(s), fresh-water point). Usually (at least) two keys would be provided for each design of key.

It's far from rare for 'conversion' locks to become problematical over time requiring replacement of either the complete lock or the lock's cylinder  - and your motorhome is now 21 years old. If - back in 2002 - McLouis fitted 'conversion' locks that all operated with the same key, as has been advised above you might be able to replace the current locks' cylinders and end up with a single key design. However, It's possible that Mclouis supplied more than one key design for the 'conversion' locks (eg. one key design for for the habitation-area entrance door, a 2nd design for the toilet cassette-locker door and a 3rd design for the other locks) and that the keys on your bunch are all original. I suggest you go through your bunch of keys and check which fit each lock and if there are any duplicates.

Archived