Autocruise Valentine Hook up issue

malc1001

Hi,

I'm a total newbie and just bought my first motorhome, a 1999 Autocruise Valentine.

However, i dont seem to be able to get any power from the 240v 3 pin sockets inside when its hooked up. I also assume that the leisure battery wont be charging either as it charges from the hook up? 

The red charge light does not come on the PMS (PMSB5WAH) unit when its plugged in but I have tested that voltage is getting to the PMS unit but dont know what happens after that. 

All the trips are still in the ON position.

Am i missing anything simple such as a switch etc that i am unaware of as its all new to me?

Or is it likely to be anything more in depth like the PMS itself.

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.

This is a photo of the Plug-In Systems PMS5BWAH unit that was fitted to Autocruise Valentine motorhomes.

image.jpeg.20d49b1efe41810cf1bddd5d2ab772b7.jpeg

Are you 100% certain that 240V mains power is reaching the unit, as - even though the mains switch and the three circuit-breakers are in the ON position - that doesn't necessarily prove this is to be so? I assume there's a 'test' button on (or by) the mains switch: if that's the case, what (if anything) happens when the button is pressed?

With a motorhome of this age, there's no knowing what previous owners will have got up to DIY-wise, but I can't think of any compelling reason for there to be supplementary mains-related switches to those that are on the PMS5BWAH unit, other than the usual On/Off switches on the 240V sockets (and, possibly an On/Off switch on the charger).

Can you contact whoever you bought the Valentine from? The 240V mains sockets and the onboard battery-charger SHOULD become 'live' when the motorhome is connected to a mains power supply and  - if there's a problem that stops this happening - you should have been  made aware of it. 

Before embarking on anything more extensive, are you sure that the mains hook-up cable connections at both ends are correct and are properly tightened into their connections?  Also, do you have any means of conducting an end -to-end continuity test on the hook-up cable wires?  Hook-up cables suffer all kinds of abuse, including people driving onto them and then turning their steering wheels!  This can easily break at least one of the conductors, especially if on tarmac.  But otherwise, just the flexing of the cable near the two connectors eventually causes fatigue in the conductors, which then simply break.

In his posting Malc said

The red charge light does not come on the PMS (PMSB5WAH) unit when its plugged in but I have tested that voltage is getting to the PMS unit but don't know what happens after that. 

I'm unsure which voltage (240V or 12V) Malc confirmed was reaching the PMS unit. 

When the motorhome is NOT connected to a 240V power-supply, the PMS unit can (and normally will) receive 12V from the motorhome's 12V battery and this will power the water-pump and 12V lights in the motorhome's habitation area. Even though the pump, interior lights and the battery/water test-gauge on the PMS unit may operate, that does not prove that 240V is reaching the PMS unit.

There's plenty of on-line enquiries about the PMS5BWH/PMS5BWAH units (mostly asking how they work or whether anyone has an instruction manual) but this video - that relates to a later PMS3H - may still be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltlMe6g7Znk

In Malc's case, the first thing to confirm is that the 240V mains power-source that the motorhome is connected to is 'live' and switched on. (On French campsites it's commonplace for 240V hook-ups to be tripped or defective and I always carried a tester to check this.)

Next - as Brian has advised - to confirm that the mains hook-up cable is delivering 240V to the motorhome. (In 1999, on our first motorhome trip abroad, the 240V hook-up suddenly would not work and that was due to a loose wire in one of the cable connectors.)

I once had an issue that turned out to be a breaker that had simply failed. Simple to test once taken out and by checking there is continuity when in on position on live and neutral that shouldn't be there of course when in off position. I would also check the neutral is live as well as that will cause things not to work even if there is power on live side. If you are uncertain what you are doing always consult an electrician as electric kills! Just thought that a quick visual assemnent can show a problem and it doesnt need to be burnt plastic or charring in that is there discolurisation to any of the screws that capture a cable only there may well be and will point to a problem.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

As an update, I have now had an engineer look at this and he has confirmed that 240v power is indeed reaching the PMS but there is no output from it.

It appears therefore that my PMS need to be opened up and investigated further. As the PMS5BWAH is an old unit, I assume that if i can not get a replacement the only option is to get this sent away for repair (at a rather high cost)

Does anybody know the best way to do this, where to send it or have any other suggestions?

Thanks 

Archived