Sorry batteries again!

snail

Morning again guys, bit more help needed! 

Firstly to fully remove the seat I need to disconnect the air bag connection will this then cause a problem that needs to be reset on ecu?

Now I have the seat laying back onto the bed I can see much better, the installer has not used heavy cables to the battery, brown and black wires I guess about 5mm and run two of each to double up To the 40 amp fuse and then a short 16mm red from fuse to battery live!

I am assuming it should all be run in 16mm so it's turning into a bigger job than expected, now the seat will have to come right out to access back to psu and charger, hence the question about airbag wires

Thanks  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extra  Info.The above VW transporter seats can be turned 180. And are made by Faurecia, The fiat ducats is larger in space so you can put a larger amp in it. It is not a DIY job. But i  are aware what sits under these seats and safety rules.

2 hours ago, snail said:

Firstly to fully remove the seat I need to disconnect the air bag connection will this then cause a problem that needs to be reset on ecu?

You will have to disconnect the starter battery before unplugging the SRS wiring to the seat to prevent codes. Follow the instructions in your owners manual for how long to wait after turning the ignition off or having doors open or closed when disconnecting to prevent other faults!

Keith.

As Keith said.

You might get away with it (any codes generated might well reset when everything returned to normal) but playing with that wiring is not something I'd do without disconnecting the starter battery (and any solar panel too if it is set to charge the vehicle battery).

Whilst I'll not claim it is definitive, this is what I did on replacing the airbag ECU:

Quiesce all vehicle systems and leave for 5 minutes then remove vehicle battery earth - 

Remove the battery cover , close all doors and windows, activate the central locking with one press, key out of ignition, wait two minutes, ( wait seven minutes if the ign has been on). All modules are now in standby mode, disconnect the battery negative quick release, exit via drivers door, lock with key. (I left everything to quiesce by leaving via the hab door, since it's a coachbuilt, and then re-entering the same way some time later. Opening a cab door starts everything up again).

Do all your work, then: 

Reattach vehicle battery earth - 

When reconnecting enter the van using the key , close drivers door, connect negative cable, wait one minute, carry on as normal. Its possible the alarm will sound, cancel with the fob.

3 hours ago, Keithl said:

You will have to disconnect the starter battery before unplugging the SRS wiring to the seat to prevent codes. Follow the instructions in your owners manual for how long to wait after turning the ignition off or having doors open or closed when disconnecting to prevent other faults!

Keith.

Which seat? There are two. And LHD?

20 hours ago, snail said:

Morning again guys, bit more help needed! 

Now I have the seat laying back onto the bed I can see much better, the installer has not used heavy cables to the battery, brown and black wires I guess about 5mm and run two of each to double up To the 40 amp fuse and then a short 16mm red from fuse to battery live!

I am assuming it should all be run in 16mm so it's turning into a bigger job than expected, now the seat will have to come right out to access back to psu and charger, hence the question about airbag wires

Thanks  

It's now dawned on me, these cables feeding the leisure battery must have been installed by Autocruise/swift, I am very surprised how small they are? The live side has two brown cables doubled up to the 40amp fuse then to battery, while the negative is one larger cable? The ec400 has the ability to connect a solar panel so am I to assume the original cables should be able to cope with solar and mains charging when on ehu?  Do I need to change these cables to something much larger now fitting two 80amp batteries?

The solar installation done by Somerset with 100 watt panel and epever duotrace  dual controller is not connected to the solar connection socket on the ec400,  it's piggy backed onto the wires coming from the ec400 PSU that go to leisure and vehicle batteries

I'm unsure if I'm worrying too much but I would of expected much heavier cables after all when I fit the new AGM in parallel they will be joined with the normal automotive battery cables from Halfords which will be much heavier

There is so much info on line it's hard to get a definitive answer everyone does things different and of course there way is best

What's your thoughts gents?

No it isn't - Hans's postings are repeated in another thread and diverted from this thread's 'topic'. I said I would make Hans's postings visible again once the thread had come to a natural halt.

(You'll also note that Keithl (Moderator) and snail (the thread's originator) agreed with my action!!) 

Can we get back now please , my dilemma is basically cable sizes, so what do you think, stay as it is, or go bigger, or another thought to reinstate the ec400 to original, (remove the pigtails wiring ) and go straight to batteries from controller with bigger cables

Over to you gents, thanks

8 minutes ago, colin said:

Your cables should have been sized to take the current from charger, our charger puts out 18amp iirc, yours might be similar, but I don't know the swift setup

Thanks Colin according to swift we have a three stage mains charger max output 20 amps, it's set to smart charge so looks after both batteries, 100 watt solar is going to produce 5 amps on a good day?

So if on ehu and with solar 25 amps max combined, do you think I'm over thinking it and should just put the agms in and forget it? 

26 minutes ago, snail said:

Maybe not but makes good sense! Hans is knowledgeable but goes off on a tangent

26 minutes ago, snail said:

Maybe not but makes good sense! Hans is knowledgeable but goes off on a tangent

Archived