Sorry batteries again!

snail

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, snail said:

Thanks Colin according to swift we have a three stage mains charger max output 20 amps, it's set to smart charge so looks after both batteries, 100 watt solar is going to produce 5 amps on a good day?

So if on ehu and with solar 25 amps max combined, do you think I'm over thinking it and should just put the agms in and forget it? 

My thoughts are that the wiring seems to have been adequate up till now, I'm a bit puzzled as to why two cables where used, but adding extra battery shouldn't have much effect on current going to batteries aside from the time this current will flow. Note that the cable will not carry anywhere near the current the vehicle battery has to carry, but for peace of mind I would establish the actual cable size (or your best estimate) and check this against online charts which will tell you it's capacity.

As Colin says; AFAICS nothing you are doing increases the max current flow, only the charging demand (which with two batteries with a combined greater Ah than now will/may last for longer, depending on DoD). If the wiring is adequate for the existing current, then it should be OK with the new batteries. 

Thanks Colin and Robin hood, it's the first time I've really looked into it

Firstly I was surprised to see the solar controller wires spliced into the battery outputs from the ec400, I expected them to go direct to each battery, but I can see why as it would be a task they took the easy option and apparently it's quite a common practice

The charging wiring in the seat box is again small? But Autocruise or Swift should know what they are doing right?

I am guilty of over thinking things, I was expecting to see cables probaly half the size of starter battery ones

It's just such an awkward job to do I don't want to have to go back there

Thanks for reassurance 

1 hour ago, colin said:

...I'm a bit puzzled as to why two cables where used...

I suspect the answer is that it was a good deal easier to lead a pair of relatively thin flexible cables (snail has guessed at 5mm gauge) to the space under the cab seat where the leisure-battery is housed, than to use the thick (16mm gauge?) cable used for the final connection to the battery. Other possible benefits might be easier connections at the other end of the thin cables, plus cost savings.

6 minutes ago, Hans said:

You can also read me out on Shell Tankers Uk On LPG. AND NL

Hans,

That is exactly what is meant by 'going off on a tangent'. What have Shell tankers got to do with replacing leisure batteries in a Fiat Ducato MH?

well guys spent a good deal of time getting the batteries fitted today

I'm glad I settled for the 80amp agm vartas more wriggle room, bent the shelf stay down at back flat, front ok to use for clamping down, clamping screws not long enough so used some chain to extend them

fitted them north to south as better fit and now positive side to front so easy to get to the fuses as seat box panel just clips on, split the incomer from its 20 amp fuse  fly leads to each battery with there own 20 amp fuses

I used a piece of wood about 8mm thick under the front of the batteries just so it was a bit kinder to the loom under the matting

all the bits came from Halfords maxi fuse holders, battery clamps, fuses

The seat swivel as it's slightly dished stands about 8 mm clear of  batteries at the front and loads at the back

got solar and mains back on all looking good will monitor it for 24hours or so

hardest part removing seat (bloody heavy) and the swivel you have to swivel it to got at some fixings

ok do you think the fuses are ok, there was a 40amp so halved it to each battery has it's own 20 amp and the incomer has another 20amp?

forgot to say 2010 Peugeot boxer Autocruise Tempo 

20230415_144140.jpg

20230415_144148.jpg

20230415_144155.jpg

My comments To Snail Are: You can only read voltage out from the batts under the seats by a  panel and not directly from the  The poles which is crucial. You could Also fitted One Agm and one lithium in paralleled They work nice together, See the Hymer system for that, And what i have Two  lithium's Direct pole read out by App via i phone. The panel voltage is than a gimmick. Was this post out  Tangent ?

Archived