VW T5 ABS Module

MrsJ

We are in need of help and perhaps someone who reads the form may be able to advise us.  My son has a 2008 VW SWB T 5 camper.  He took it into our local garage for a service and when he picked it up they told him that he need a new ABS Module and gave him the number 7H0614117A.  They said they had tried around and that they were given horrendous prices up to nearly £2,000.  This is our local garage which we have used for many years and we trust what they tell us.  Well for Steve there is no chance of this so I have looked around to see if we could get the original reconditioned. This would be good as then we would not have to get it coded. My first call was a a place in Cullumpton, Devon and I was told that it is an unrepairable unit and they have not got any in stock. I have sent an email to another one with no reply and tried another with a phone call and gave up in the queue.  We really don’t want to give up on the old girl ( the van - not me) so has anyone got any leads we could follow. Thanks, Lesley.

Hi,

not sure of your problem but you should try searching for a VW specific forum on the wider WWW. I am not on Facebook for instance but I can guarantee you there will be hundreds of folk that are. Read between the lines and you will get a better answer on there.

We use a Renault based van for our camper and anything I'm struggling with the wife goes on the FB group and comes back with the answer, I cannot fault them.

Good luck.

Hello both,

I have done a search on the web specific to U.K and also e bay.  On EBay there are lots of used without any warranty from £50 to £1500 but not many people offering reconditioning.  A bit nervous about Ebay but depends on how desperate we get.   I don’t do facebook but Steve’s partner might, I will find out.  Steve said he had not noticed any lights on the dash  to indicate the problem, first he knew of it was when he picked up the van from the service. He does not do many miles in it and had not used it since September and this was a service for the start of the Season.  I will have a search on the VW forums as suggested. Lesley.

That's very strange as you know if the ABS pump was faulty you of course would see a warning light with audible beeping when starting ? Fluctuating fuel gauge and sometimes speedo not working   Other elements  can also bring up an ABS light, not just a pump failure?

But you say you have been informed its a pump fault (7H0614117A)  I take it its a fault code  C107701. (01276) You also say it's unrepairable?

Can you confirm?

I think your first check is to check to see if the fuse has blown as this is a common issue 

Regards

Edited by onecal

Lesley,

I'm slightly confused at the events leading up to the garages diagnosis that your Son's van needs anew ABS module.

You say he took it in for a service so were there any problems with the brakes before this, ie warning light on or squealing, etc. or did the service include any work on the brakes, ie replacement of pads, discs, etc.?

If the garage didn't do any work on the brakes how did they come to the diagnosis that the van needs a new module? Did they give you a fault code that they have based their diagnosis on?

Maybe get a second opinion on the fault before going ahead with replacement of the module.

Keith.

What you both are saying makes sense.  Steve did ask them to check the brakes because he thought that they were not so good and he was thinking possibly that as they were carrying around a new bell tent awning with a wood burner and so carrying around more weight.  We shall have to look into this a bit further as you say and find out about this fault code and check the fuse. Also have chat with the garage about it and get a second opinion.  Regarding my phone calls about getting the existing unit reconditioned one call told me that this unit could not be repaired and now another has told me that they  could (£240 plus plus return postage.).   I shall see Steve tonight and we will sort out the fault code first.  I will let you know how we get on. Lesley.

1 hour ago, MrsJ said:

... and he was thinking possibly that as they were carrying around a new bell tent awning with a wood burner and so carrying around more weight. 

Has he ever weighed his van? If not a trip to a local weighbridge may well be advised!

The max allowable weights (both total and individual axles) will be stamped on the VIN plate most likely on the side of the drivers seat base or if not then somewhere near.

Hi

Again without actually seeing the pump and knowing what history of work has been carried out on the van ,one is only guessing at to what damage may be done (considered you were told it was not repairable) As Keith advises you need to check your vin plate, have your van weighed (loaded) and adjust your loading according so you are within the permitted limits on your Vin Plate. (Vin Plate is situated inside engine bay on the wheel arch)

I would advise, if work was done to the braking system and such safety features are not working and known to be not working , not to drive such a defective vehicle, your insurance may also be an issue considering same.

Get a second opinion as to the faults, It is repairable of course ,but many other elements may also need to be replaced 

On 5/9/2023 at 11:49 AM, MrsJ said:

We are in need of help and perhaps someone who reads the form may be able to advise us.  My son has a 2008 VW SWB T 5 camper.  He took it into our local garage for a service and when he picked it up they told him that he need a new ABS Module and gave him the number 7H0614117A.  ...............................................

From what you say above the garage allowed him to drive the van away despite having diagnosed the ABS fault?  That seems to indicate that they do not consider the fault indicates an enhanced safety risk, which seems odd.

Is there possibly a misunderstanding as to what, exactly, the fault is, and what its implications for driving are?

Hi Brian,

Yes maybe , but they did quote a number (ABS pump), anything to do with a fault in the ABS system needs attention for safety alone

I would always have to advise, if work was done to the ABS system and such safety features are not working and known to be not working , not to drive such a defective vehicle, 

Again we do not know the full history of the repairs or non repairs to the ABS system and components of this van ,

I also find it very strange to be told it was unrepairable (ABS Pump 7H0614117A Photo) 

Regards

VW ABS Pump .jpg

Edited by onecal
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an update on our VW ABS problem.  It appears that the garage where the fault was diagnosed had checked the brakes and wheels as part of the service.  After  several days of debate and worry we decided that we would have to bite the bullet and get the existing unit reconditioned ASAP  or else miss the Summer holidays that we had booked. Steve rang ECU Testing Ltd who said send it to them and they would look at it, tell us if they could recondition it and how much. The garage took it off for us and we sent it to ECU Testing who rang us back and confirmed that they could do it. 
We had it back in a week and it has been refitted and everything is working fine.  Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

• Like 1