CBT training

CBT moped training for motorhomers  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

About 50+ years ago, as a young man who couldn’t afford a car, I bought a Vespa scooter - no CBT then. First time going to work it sort of took off with me and I never rode it since. Several years later I joined the Ambulance a service and that put me off ever having a motorcycle.

David

The Motorcycle CBT isn't actually a test. It's a 1 day course of instruction which permits the riding of a machine up to 125cc and max. 14.6 bhp. for up to 2 years with conditions ie 'L' plates and no motorways or pillon passenger.

I have taken this course a few years back after losing my full A Licence entitlement due to a DVLA cockup when enacting the digital switchover. This included some seasoned M/bike cops and instructors. 

As simians has said, the CBT is a 'course' not a pass-or-fail 'test'. That distinction is emphasised here:

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt

I took (and passed) a UK motorcycle test in 1960. There was no training back then and no restrictions on what a learner could legally ride. I started out with a 150cc BSA Bantam Major, but I could have legally ridden (and taken the test on) a 1000cc Vincent Black Shadow if I could have afforded the Vincent it, insured it and managed to start it.

Did my CBT course June 2021 at age 74 and one week later passed my A1 motorbike test and now have a Honda SH125 Mode in motorhome garage

Really annoyed me that I had a Class 1 HGV licence allowing me to drive 44 tonners but couldn't ride a 125cc motorbike

John

Edited by bounty hunter
Missed something out

21 minutes ago, bounty hunter said:

Did my CBT course June 2021 at age 74 and one week later passed my A1 motorbike test and now have a Honda SH125 Mode in motorhome garage

Really annoyed me that I had a Class 1 HGV licence allowing me to drive 44 tonners but couldn't ride a 125cc motorbike

John

It does seem falling John but, despite the size difference, I guess each have their own distinct risks and dangers so different tests seem logical.

David

1 hour ago, david lloyd said:

It does seem falling John but, despite the size difference, I guess each have their own distinct risks and dangers so different tests seem logical.

David

I think the reason it was brought in was to stop 16 year old buying bikes that could get up to 150mph in a few seconds! 

Jeremy

As said, riding a m/bike and driving a truck require different abilities, I know a number of competent car drivers unable to ride a m/bike, let alone pass the present test. Conversely I can't think of anyone competent in riding a m/bike being unable to pass the driving test and drive a car. The fundamental distinction imo.......being balance,  that and the reticence to lean over when changing direction.😀 Of course the possessor of a full car driving licence can ride a moped of max. 50cc, and 28mph as of right and no 'L' plate required.

The downside to the CBT is that some <125cc motorcyclists choose to renew the CBT every 2 years thus avoiding taking the m/bike test whether A1, A2, or A, all being the same test just differing in power rating and age constraints. £150 for the unnecessary repetition of the same course every 2 years! 

I suspect most motorhomers that use scooters will have passed their test before all this CBT stuff and the plethora of hoops you now have to jump through to ride anything that would pull the skin off a rice pudding myself included.  We have  carried a scooter on the back of our Konitki for 15 years now, would not be without it.  We are on our third now. A Honda Vision 110. I have a Suzuki Vstrom 650 also but the little Vision is a gem on motorhome trips.

Sadly I reckon the complex and expensive tests will kill motorcycling in this country.  Its completely put youngster off I think.  Go to any bike meet and they are predominantly old farts.

Edited by Barryd999

Back in 2002 I decided that I would have another 125 for work had an on off relationship with bikes since I was 16.

Thinking that I could just put l plates on and off I go, as soon as I had paid for the bike the shop owner told me about the training, well, I had no choice but to comply.

There were three of us on the day, myself and two novices, thinking what a waste of time and money the lesson began, the first novice took the bike off the stand and dropped it on the floor saying that he didn't realise how heavy they were, the second one driving in a figure of eight crashed into the road bridge (perhaps now I could see why they have the courses.

When I passed I was then told that I would have to retake it if I didn't go on to pass the riding test, I took the test and passed with just 4 minor faults (25 is a fail) what really got me going is that even though I have been driving for 40 + years at the time I had to go and take the theory test (now, should I fail this test would my driving be revoked?

I bought a Kawasaki er 5 two years later I swapped the bike for two walking Sticks. lol

Pete

The Theory Test Hazard Perception is the same for car or m/bike but the Multiple Choice 50 Questions part consists of 2 versions, 1 specifically for cars and one for m/bikes. Albeit they only differ in, I think 5 or 6 questions. Its 43 out of 50 for a pass.  

Quite honestly if you're reasonably clued up for one category you should pass without swatting for the other. Obviously it's preferable to learn the specific test to make a pass more of a certainty and of course for the safety aspects.

The convoluted test regime for potential M/bikers probably puts a lot of bods off biking. CBT around £150 the tests themselves are around £34 Theory, then £15 Mod 1 + £90 Mod 2. However I reckon the almost compulsory necessity of having to learn under professional tuition is the real killer, training that can easily cost over £1000 assuming a first time pass. I say almost compulsory to take pro training because if you have access to a private decent acreage or a private racetrack it is possible to DIY learn. Then take the requisite conforming m/bike to the test centre on a trailer (or an apprpiately licenced rider), with minimum 3rd party insurance, the tester does check on occasion!

For the young getting biking could involve an A1 test, then an A2 then the full A, unsurprisingly named stage progression. And everyone has to start with the CBT. I feel a headache coming on!

Things were much riskier in the good old days. 'tis said horse riding is 20 times more dangerous than motorcycling. Not to mention camel riding, the Arabs are still having it tough. Although it must be slightly less risky on a bactrian between the humps, than perched on a dromedary 😁