Fiat Swift Escape advice

grambo1

Morning all we are looking to buy a fiat escape but want a question answered we was looking at one at our local dealership but when I was sat in drivers seat and stood up to walk into the living quarters I noticed that the rubber flooring where the batteries are stored in very springy is this supposed to be like that as the dealership said it was  as I am new to this I was just checking at a the moment I have a 1989 fiat panorama 6 berth very nice classic so undecided weather to get new one or stay with the classic any advice would be greatly appreciated

Graham

Hi Graham 

yes this is completely normal, our previous Malibu 16 reg and our 19 reg A class super lightweight Cathago. 
even the new one we’re waiting for is springy 

mum somewhat overweight and no damage has ever happened 

den

• Keithl changed the title to Fiat Escape advice

As Den says, this is entirely normal.

But - and I'm assuming this is a Swift Escape, pay very close attention to the underside of the coach-built area.

Check the floor around the rear, side skirts and body mouldings - particularly if this is an older model.

When the X250 was first introduced in 2006 there was a metal cover over the top of the battery and the floor was fairly rigid. It was discontinued  as the years progressed so that it is no longer fitted. I noticed on my 2017 model that the cover over the positive terminal fuse board is also no longer fitted. 

two-M.jpg

• Keithl changed the title to Fiat Swift Escape advice

When I purchased our Adria Coral  I fitted a thin fibreboard piece wrapped in thin boot lining material over that area between the seats. I then purchased an aftermarket carpet to suit the Ducato cab area. Now I do not feel like I am going to fall through that soft area when I walk on it. I agree the standard cover seems to not be strong enough even though it probably is stronger than it feels. The idea of the board came from my previous Autotrail that had the board & carpet as standard on Aust delivered motorhomes. Cheers,

Rayc mentioned above the metal cover that was fitted over some Ducato X250 vehicles' starter-battery compartment and the plastic cover over the battery's positive terminal 'bus bar'. These are shown in the following two images

image.jpeg.d247b47d2423f80aca6e4520da1c6b30.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f4ab620c97eee617e127d1cd8d5c8ba.jpeg

This link shows the various parts relating to the Ducato X250's starter-battery

https://fiat-pro.7zap.com/en/d06/2j/250a82001000-099/553/0+55300s00+1-0/

The metal cover can still be purchased (£60-£70) as can the plastic battery cover (example adverts here)

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fits-fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-battery-cover-2006-2009-oe.html

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fits-fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-genuine-oe-battery-terminal-cover-2001-2014.html

I remember an enquiry in MMM Magazine as to why some Ducato-based motorhomes had the metal battery cover, while others (apparently of the same vintage) did not.  As no certain explanation could be given, MMM promised to follow this up with Fiat. However - to the best of my knowledge - if a Fiat answer was provided, it was never published in MMM.

Rayc actually said

The cover was often not refitted after battery inspection / change etc especially by Fiat garages

It would be interesting to know how often "often" is - if my Ducato X250 had a metal cover over the starter-battery compartment, I'd play merry Hell if I found it had been removed and not been replaced without my permission.

Well I am afraid this happens just as many diesel cars with under engine protectors are removed for servicing and not refitted  This can be done by many an owner may I add as it makes life so much easer for them on the next service 

Bad practice as it's there for a reason, should be refitted every time 

Regards

I have a swift kontiki 2007 it has rot problem,before buying check the underneath of the vehicle the ply. It has side skirts water has passed through between the outside wall and them and where the aluminium of the wall stops the ply on the underside sits slightly below and as the water runs down the wall it enters the ply laminations and cant dry because there is a plastic film supposed to protect it,give it a good poke if it fels spongey give it a miss.I have had it repaired and a flashing was inserted between the aluminium skin and the foam interior of the wall it runs under the floor about 125mm on the new ply.

It would not have happened if they had used treated ply but you know about the shoddiness that goes into products today, I checked out a swift about 5 years ago the fit of the cabinetry was awful tapered gaps on doors things not quite square or level it was so obvious I have no idear how the sales people could have missed it.

Archived