Comfortmatic Clutch Noise

Sharon MQ

32 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

This May 2023 Practical Motorhome article may be of interest

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/fiat-comfortmatic-gearbox

Interesting article Derek, I never realised from previous discussions that the hydraulic fluid is actually hydroscopic (like brake fluid) and hence the reason to change it every couple of years! Mind you I suppose hydraulic clutches on manual boxes use brake fluid so we shouldn't be too surprised there.

I'm not sure that's actually true...

The relevant Ducato Owner Handbook lists the fluids (and their quantities) that are recommended for the engine, gearbox (etc.) and - for a COMFORT-MATIC transmission hydraulic actuation system - 0.7litres of TUTELA CAR CS SPEED lubricant is recommended. This product is described here

https://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-4C/Motor-Airfilters/Petronas-Tutela-CS-Speed-75W::9078.html?language=en

and seems to be a quite thick (75W) oil rather than the thin fluid normally used in braking systems.

However, even if the TUTELA oil is not particularly hygroscopic, that doesn't mean it will not  become contaminated in use (as onecal has warned) and require changing at 4 years maximum. 

Hi all

Derek is correct it is indeed (75W)  , completely different fluid is used ,but sadly it too does become contaminated over time 

This is a hydraulic (PETRONAS TUTELA CAR CS SPEEDspecific oil  just like Liqui Moly Zentralhydraulik that is also used in so many automotive  hydraulic applications  

Regards

Hans

As stated in this thread's initial posting Sharon has a 2017 Ducato-based motorhome with 2.3litre engine and Comfort-Matic automated-manual transmission.

The Comfort-Matic transmission was superseded in 2019 by a ZF 9HP torque-converter-type automatic unit (AT9 "9-Speed") and the 2.3litre range of motors was superseded in 2022 by 2.2litre power-plants.

The recommended lubricants for the latest transmissions are listed here

image.png.0a27606906526d4dafae3af0700a2b1b.png

Archived