Keep Smiling

Guest Syd

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following this thread with interest. Frank's posts have been honest and I really don't understand all this fuss.

He mentioned his lifestyle not to brag, but to illustrate his point. This was promptly used to attack him again !! 8-)

Give the guy a break !

bob b - 2007-07-19 9:33 PM

I've been following this thread with interest. Frank's posts have been honest and I really don't understand all this fuss.

He mentioned his lifestyle not to brag, but to illustrate his point. This was promptly used to attack him again !! 8-)

Give the guy a break !

I agree Bob, we are all very different and choose to value ourselves in different ways.

An exercise I used in a group session recently was along the lines of:

'Describe yourself without using your gender or occupation'

It's actually quite difficult because we are programmed to place things like job & earnings very high on the list.

Try it!

the tortoise - 2007-07-19 9:41 PM

bob b - 2007-07-19 9:33 PM

Give the guy a break !

I agree Bob, we are all very different and choose to value ourselves in different ways.

An exercise I used in a group session recently was along the lines of:

'Describe yourself without using your gender or occupation'

It's actually quite difficult because we are programmed to place things like job & earnings very high on the list.

Try it!

Ooh yes me, me, me! When I was at school an engineering class teacher asked us to describe a spiral staircase without using our hands! its not as easy as you might think! 8-)

D.

A bit like people using mobile phones who waggle their free arm around erratically whilst having a conversation with someone at the other end who can't see what they are trying to show them! A French chap last week was just about tying his right hand up in knots whilst on his phone, it's a wonder he didn't do himself a mischief! 8-)

Dave ... you have a PM.

Mel

Hi Tortoise

Didn't notice the location

Dont think our audience on here are very receptive or apreciative of the fine art of allowing ones imagination free reign when one is alone and safe in ones own world.

In another zone of course.

What wonderful discoveries can be make when there.

Syd - 2007-07-19 11:26 PM

Hi Tortoise

Didn't notice the location

Dont think our audience on here are very receptive or apreciative of the fine art of allowing ones imagination free reign when one is alone and safe in ones own world.

In another zone of course.

What wonderful discoveries can be make when there.

It just goes to show what a fantastic organ the brain is.

It can allow us to be grounded whilst letting us fly around the universe in total safety.

It can tell us when we are hungry/sad/happy/in love just by passing minute electric currents around it.

But this is where the imagination can stretch reality. Suppose the electrical currents also control as yet undiscovered parts of the brain.

As living organisms are made up of a seething mass of molecules, what's to say that they mightn't 'disembody' and move into another dimension and form?

Guest caraprof

The Song of Solomon has a lovely line about the coming of spring. Not a tortoise but a turtle. Is that close enough?

For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; 

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of the birds is come and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

Isn't that a wonderful line: 'The time of the singing of the birds has come'. Magic!

Forget the bit about the rain being over though!

I do so admire people who can write like that. I was listening to 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic' recently on the radio and I never cease to marvel at:

'Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord; he is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.'

'Tramping out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored' - I wish I could find words like that to express myself!

Yeh, but how many people knew it mentioned a tortoise!

For those less knowledgeable the line in the hymn goes:

"Great things he hath taught us, great things he hath done."

There's loads more out there ... anyone else know any?

michele - 2007-07-20 8:40 PM

Speak bloody english

I'm sorry Michele - what I meant was that it is sometimes more interesting to explore answers that aren't perhaps so obvious.

Caraprof appears to be quite intelligent, but perhaps lacks imagination.

Okey doke, I'm off to have some more social interaction - down the nearest bar!

Speak later, folks.

Guest caraprof
the tortoise - 2007-07-20 8:44 PM
michele - 2007-07-20 8:40 PM Speak bloody english
I'm sorry Michele - what I meant was that it is sometimes more interesting to explore answers that aren't perhaps so obvious. Caraprof appears to be quite intelligent, but perhaps lacks imagination. Okey doke, I'm off to have some more social interaction - down the nearest bar! Speak later, folks.

Cheeky sod! I'll have you know that I do The Daily Telegraph crossword and do a lot of lateral thinking. Also I would never dream of pronouncing a certain young turtle as a taught us!

the tortoise - 2007-07-20 8:44 PM

michele - 2007-07-20 8:40 PM

Speak bloody english

I'm sorry Michele - what I meant was that it is sometimes more interesting to explore answers that aren't perhaps so obvious.

Caraprof appears to be quite intelligent, but perhaps lacks imagination.

Okey doke, I'm off to have some more social interaction - down the nearest bar!

Speak later, folks.

l What are you a councellor or a pschycoanalist ?....have you decided yet?

Sometimes delving to deeply leaves you in deeper s**t as you find out that 2+2 make 97...when it dont it makes 4

;-)

Some interesting views, but I’d like to contribute a secular dimension. I went through the transcendental stuff in my early years, as most probably do, but ‘cured’ myself without ‘professional’ intervention by about 13. Since then I’ve been secure in the irrefutable truth that I’m inescapably ploughing an absolutely one dimensional furrow along the space-time continuum to certain death. I’m pretty confident that any molecular leakage won’t be accompanied by anything spiritual. And when I say pretty confident, I was softening the blow: I really mean absolutely. 

Notwithstanding this certainty, I am personally very happy and smile a lot; where and if I feel like it. That said, I am mistrustful of vacuous smiles. There’s something very, very creepy about them! 

I’m not looking to spoil anyone’s hopes and fluffy-thought time. If it rings your bell, I wish you a happy, if temporary, escape. 

As an aside, turtles, don’t, and never did, contribute to the vocalisation of spring. The reference was originally to turtle doves, though dove was dropped as it messed up the intonation. Try adding it, you’ll see. These doves fly in from the south each spring and are associated with the season, a bit like cuckoos. That is the ones that make it. Lots are shot in Spain/>/> and France/>/>/>/> on migration; to be made into pies. 

Tough world; the secular one.

I dont actually mind big word man at least he has something to say in the M/H forum and in the main we get responsible replies.

In all fairness to Crinkley he probably IMHO only came out with the big words because he felt at the time that he was at a difference with Frank.

BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.

Since then it has gone down hill fast with people trying to outdo each other . Lets go back to normal guys..

caraprof - 2007-07-19 4:47 PM

I have very many friends most of whom are ordinary people and a few who are very rich. My closest friends are the ordinary ones and very often they seem the happiest.

I love this quote. Rich people, in Caraprofs expert eyes, are 'extra'ordinary, and by his own admission he, himself, is reasonably well-off.Therefore, perhaps, one's perception of one's place in this world is judged by wealth.This would, perhaps, also give one a sense of superiority if one was also wealthy.

Archived