Keep Smiling

Guest Syd

Guest caraprof
the tortoise - 2007-07-21 6:45 PM
caraprof - 2007-07-19 4:47 PM

I have very many friends most of whom are ordinary people and a few who are very rich. My closest friends are the ordinary ones and very often they seem the happiest.

I love this quote. Rich people, in Caraprofs expert eyes, are 'extra'ordinary, and by his own admission he, himself, is reasonably well-off. Therefore, perhaps, one's perception of one's place in this world is judged by wealth. This would, perhaps, also give one a sense of superiority if one was also wealthy.

Do you work for the BBC Tortoise? You have similar talent to that organisation for completely distorting meaning.

It was obvious that I was talking about ordinary people in the terms of wealth, in other words, people with ordinary incomes, which can never be construed by any reasonable person to equate to ordinary in ability, goodness, honesty and all of the other things on which people should be valued.

My closest friends are 'ordinary' in that they have jobs, mortgages and many of them, whilst living comfortably, will never be able to accrue any real capital. They are teachers, accountants, artisans, police officers, small businessmen etc. etc.

I also have a small number of friends who are extra-ordinarily rich, meaning that they are worth tens of millions, all as it happens through shrewd property development and property investment.

When we are together, either at a social function or on the golf course, these differences in wealth are absolutely irrelevant and no one ever feels inferior or superior in any way, mainly because we're all fairly intelligent and we realise what is really important in people.

Finally, like the BBC, you edit selectively and didn't mention another paragraph lower down from the one that you quoted, in which I said:

'I have never valued people on their wealth or position. Give me a poor but decent person any day over a rich and nasty one.'

I would have thought that anyone reading that, would have realised that it is obvious that I do not think that people who are not wealthy are somehow inferior to those who are!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof
the tortoise - 2007-07-21 7:13 PM Funny you should say that, Caraprof..

I'm sorry, but you're becoming a bit too annoying and obtuse, even for me!

Mel B - 2007-07-21 7:14 PM

The 'taught us' hymn makes me smile - when I was a kid in church every time we sang that hymn we couldn't help having a giggle, as it reminded us of the lady down the road who had a tortoise.

(lol)

and how many 'pop' songs have we sung the wrong words to over the years!

My favourite was 'When you go and get stuffed' instead of 'When the going gets tough' Hughey Lewis.

Anyone else got any more?

michele - 2007-07-22 12:03 AM

Tit's

Oh good we can say it without it being censored .Anaylise this you are getting right on my TIT's .

Hope you come to the conclusion you are getting on my tit's

Thanks folks - got all the material I need for my next article and will leave you in peace.

Have a nice day (lol)

the tortoise - 2007-07-22 9:04 AM

Thanks folks - got all the material I need for my next article and will leave you in peace.

Have a nice day (lol)

Tortoise

Nice one, Nice one .

Syd - 2007-07-22 9:20 AM

Have a nice day (lol)

Tortoise

Nice one, Nice one .

I don't think many people would buy an Arseholes guide to the Galaxy

michele - 2007-07-22 9:36 AM

Have a nice day (lol)

Tortoise

Nice one, Nice one .

Michele

You have absolutely no idea who you are 'talking' to or which publication has commissioned my article.

I suggest that you refrain from making such statements.

the tortoise - 2007-07-22 10:53 AM

michele - 2007-07-22 9:36 AM

Have a nice day (lol)

Tortoise

Nice one, Nice one .

Michele

You have absolutely no idea who you are 'talking' to or which publication has commissioned my article.

I suggest that you refrain from making such statements.

Why is it near the mark !. No I have absolutely no idea whom I,m talking to you are quite correct other than a marriage guidance councellor .

But I know this much I wouldn't like to come see you if I had problems I think you revel in causing disharmony .You would have people at the divorce courts in no time ..Now I thought you were leaving and we were all to have a nice day.

Guest caraprof

Ignore him Michele, he claims to have enough material for 'his article' and he also implies that he works for the BBC. He also implied that, having gathered enought material, he is now off. Let's hope so!

My own opinion is that he's a bit of a Walter Mitty character. If you read the thread on urban myths you'll see that he appears to have fallen hook line and sinker for the ludicrous 'Moon landing was created in a a warehouse in Arizona' hoax. I refuted every silly theory that he advanced and he seemed unable to deny my argument.

Not exactly evidence of a serious journalist or any other kind of writer!

He also claims to be a 'qualified relationship therapist'. What the hell is that when it's at home? It certainly doesn't seem to imply a professional with a recognised degree after five years at university reading a branch of medicine. More likely one of the thousands who've done a short course on 'counselling' and who now infect every aspect of our lives.

Anyway, let's hope that he now has enough 'material' for his 'commission'. He obviously leads an exciting life doing such things as writing articles about people who chat on a motorhome forum!

michele - 2007-07-22 12:03 AM

Tit's

Oh good we can say it without it being censored .Anaylise this you are getting right on my TIT's .

Hope you come to the conclusion you are getting on my tit's

Have a nice day (lol)

Don't forget to use all your big wordy things Tortoise or people will actually be able to understand what you write. ;-)

D.

michele - 2007-07-23 12:22 AM

Explain please Syd its a bit cryptic for me :D

I dont have to agree with what people think or say nor do I have to challenge them but I do find people who act a little "out of the box" if you understand what I mean, interesting and a challenge.

Nothing like trying to understand something different and new is there. B-)

michele - 2007-07-23 12:27 PM

Syd,

your mate is back perhaps you could take it out side the box again in PM's :D Welcome Tortoise I see you have had a long crawl.

Michele

Actually on reflection what Tortoise was all about has made some sense to me.

I don't think he was treat very well on here but then who am I to know anything and I will leave it at that

Archived