PXIN Gas Pressure Gauge Indicator

Grumpyman

Hi I recently brought a PXIN gas pressure gauge for propane gas bottles. After connecting it to the bottle the indicator was in the green zone. When trying the cooker out it would not ignite. So took the gauge off the bottle reconnected gas  bottle cooker working . Any Idea's please !!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Grumpyman said:

It has never worked . I am beginning to think there might be a slight  leak somewhere, 

Have you Once connected to the regulator and the gas appliance the display dial must then be pressed inwards to allow gas to flow as it has a push/pull button function that controls the flow valve."?

This type of pressure gauge is widely advertised on Amazon with the manufacturer of seemingly identical-design products being given as PXIN, DIYARTS, JROYSETER, etc.

The gauges have an inbuilt excess-flow valve to protect against a major gas leakage (eg. if a gas hose ruptures). And - as rayc has advised above -, after the gauge has been connected up, the readout dial must be pressed firmly downwards to open the excess-flow valve and allow gas to pass through the gauge. (This requirement SHOULD be clearly stated in the gauge's instructions.)

image.png.46b4e17c19abfbde6e8f7e676fb70c11.png

Hi

Also not available on many more with quite a few reporting bad fitting and problems with replacement Some been told sell them on? I don't know , maybe the O.P would like to tells us a little more as his may have a push gauge on a pin that needs a few presses to start gas flow , Sadly a few have reported it's not fitted to some,I am told ?????? 

Gas product reviews .jpg

I looked at some of the 1-star 'did-not-fit-my-bottle' reviews and it was plain (or should have been plain!) from the advert that what was being offered was not the version with a POL inlet and a POL outlet that would be installed between a UK-norm propane canister's outlet and a gas 'pigtail' (or on-bottle regulator) that would connect to that bottle.

I try to avoid purchasing via Amazon (I'd rather use ebay) but buying on-line always carries a risk of being sent the wrong thing even when one has taken every effort to guard against this happening.

This type of gauge has been available in the UK for years. The link below is from the current B.E.S. website and the gauge shown appears in their 2017 hardcopy catalogue

https://www.bes.co.uk/lpg-multi-purpose-safety-fitting-pol-m-x-pol-f-12673/

I remember telephoning B.E.S. about this gauge and being asked what my interest was. I said that it might be useful for gas-leak testing in a motorhome and the excess-flow valve was a handy safety feature. The salesman said "That's OK then. As long as you don't want it for measuring a gas-bottle's contents, as it's not much use for that".

I agree Derek, but many do buy off Amazon , maybe our OP did as as did so many more, therefore he would not be on his own if he did purchase from same. Hence why I asked ,"did it ever work", and "send it back" I think this product is no longer available on Amazon at the moment. 

Regards

If my understanding is correct, this type of gauge is unlikely to be of much use for indicating how much gas is left in a cylinder.

The reason, as I understand it, is that there is no linear relationship between cylinder contents and gas pressure.  Cylinder pressure is a function of the presence of liquified petroleum gas, and that pressure remains more or less constant while liquified gas remains in the cylinder.

Only once the liquified gas has gassed off will the pressure begin to fall.  What then remains in the cylinder is merely gas at a lower pressure than is required to maintain its liquid state, which, as it is consumed, will begin losing pressure abruptly.

In practical terms, by the time the pressure gauge begins to record significant pressure drop, the cylinder is already more or less empty, and it is almost inevitable that you will discover this because the gas has gone out in the middle of cooking dinner rather than when you peer into the gas locker to check the gauge.

What the gauge will do is confirm that the reason your hob has unexpectedly extinguished is because you have run out of gas - which won't help you to cook the dinner!

Hi Grumpyman 

Is it the same as the one shown in the photos of both Keith and mine? Check to see if indeed if you can press down the Gauge . I suspect the fittings may also may not fit if it is as per photos

If none of the above works , send it back and get one as Derek advises if you still want one 

Regards 

onecal

The PXIN gauge shown in Keith's and your postings is currently advertised on amazon.co.uk here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PXIN-Pressure-Indicator-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B09V7N2L76

and described as being "in stock".

That gauge's output fitting is 'dual type', accepting a male or  female connector as shown in this drawing.

image.png.b0bad88f2cdca8749744ac68a3d388fe.png

It's more normal for this sort of gauge to have a 'single type' of output fitting that just accepts a male POL connector. This amazon.co.uk advert shows this type of design

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROPANE-HILO-CYLINDER-GAUGE-LPG-PRESSURE/dp/B00AV6GVQU

and it's also shown in the images in rayc's and my earlier postings.

It's emphasised in reviews that the gauges' instructions need to be carefully followed and there's no doubt that, if the 'reset' procedure (ie. depressing the readout-dial that's mounted on a sliding 'pin') is not carried out, the gauge's excess-flow valve (EFV) will prevent gas from passing through the gauge.

It's clear from Grumpyman's original posting that he was able to fit his gauge to his gas bottle and to connect the gauge to his motorhome's gas system - which is when he found that the cooker would not function. These are the GAS-IT  instructions for the Hi-Lo gauge they sell

image.png.499f2cb7cdd69bfb63ea628192da73f5.png

Action 4 advises "Press the gauge face down" and doing this is required for all of these designs of gauge during installation and after a bottle has been swapped.

If - after Grumpymsan has installed his gauge, connected it up and turned on the gas at the bottle - he finds it impossible to push the dial part of the gauge downwards to disable the EFV, it must be assumed that his gauge is faulty.

As Brian and I have mentioned above, the value of these 'pressure' gauges for providing genuinely useful information about a propane gas-bottle's contents is very limited.This was discussed (endlessly) here in the early-2000s, with the late Mel Eastburn providing convincing 'scientific proof' of the gauges limitations.

I've had motorhome propane regulators that included a pressure gauge. Their primary value was to allow an easy test for gas leakage, but they were of little value in providing 'scalar' advance-guidance on how much gas remained in the bottle. When the gauge's needle was in the dial's green section I knew there was gas in the bottle, but not how much. When the needle moved into the yellow section the bottle was verging on empty: this was fine if one happened to spot this in time to swap bottles, less so if it the needle hit yellow at 1AM when one was asleep and all the motorhome's gas equipment shut down.

Thanks everyone for all your information. don't think I can return the gauge as it's longer than 30 days return policy.

Can anyone recommend a reliable gauge that does the job of telling you roughly how much gas you have left.

Grumpyman

Archived