Rv question

nicklee

I was having a thought last night, would there be any benefits to having my battery bank changed to 24v, currently 12v. I would have to run a DC to DC converter, Orion 24/12v 70 amp to the RV 12v battery connections . I know I can run more solar on the roof in 24v config. If that is the only benefit sticking with 12v is ok too.

Unless you have high power requirements, for example running an inverter  over 2000 watts,  it's not worth the cost and effort .There is the advantage of an existing MPPT solar controller being able to process twice the panel power by having a 24 volt 'house' battery but this is offset by needing a DC to DC converter for existing 12v items.

If the van has an existing electrical  system, example CBE or Schaudt,  then  you have the challenge  of interfacing the 24 volt battery, and of course, installing a mains 24v charger, and a 12 to 24 battery to battery charger for engine charging.

If more  solar is the only requirement  for a 12v system,   it could be the existing controller could handle the extra power, or an additional controller could be installed.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived