Insurance problem

laimeduck

We are going to Slovenia in September and possibly Bosnia and Serbia. I was checking my small motorbike insurance and the certificate states the following:-

The insurer will cover your legal liability to others while you are using your bike within the European Union and any other
country which has agreed to follow the EU Motor Insurance Directive (number 2009/103/EC) This policy provides the
minimum cover you need by law in any country which agrees to meet European Commission Directives on motor insurance and satisfies the European Commission that it has made arrangements to meet the requirements of these Directives.

So I have been trying to find a list of countries which have agreed to follow the Directive to see if I am covered for Bosnia & Serbia ... without much success. (I spent a wasted hour on the phone to the broker x3 who where worse than useless .. they didnt even know that Bosnia-Herzegovina or Serbia were countries in Europe!)

I then found this on the UK gov site :- https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad

Driving abroad
If you’re driving in most European countries
All UK vehicle insurance provides the minimum third party cover to drive in:

the EU (including Ireland)
Andorra
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Iceland
Liechtenstein
Norway
Serbia
Switzerland

What do you think? Are these the countries that follow the directive?
The government site appears to suggest that they are and that by law, I will be covered third party? 

Thanks
Jeremy

Don't you have the green card addendum (actually black&white to save ink) ?

Covered countries are listed by their symbol (e.g. SLO stands for Slovenia, SRB for Serbia, BiH for Bosnia-Hezegovina, etc.

If masked by a X the country has no coverage.

2 minutes ago, mtravel said:

Don't you have the green card addendum (actually black&white to save ink) ?

Covered countries are listed by their symbol (e.g. SLO stands for Slovenia, SRB for Serbia, BiH for Bosnia-Hezegovina, etc.

If masked by a X the country has no coverage.

Sorry Max no! We no longer get green cards here unless you go to countries outside the EU and those who follow the Directive.

Jeremy

2 minutes ago, davidmac said:

Hi it was the green card that I got my information.

Regards David 

Thanks for that ...  but why does the UKGOV website say that "All UK insurance covers you for EU plus countries that conform"?

Surely that implies a ruling that they have to cover you?

Hi there is a caviat regarding Serbia and Cyprus on the green card that only parts of the country controlled by the government are covered. I would think that insurers can put their own limits on policies regardless of government policies. 
Regards David 

5 minutes ago, davidmac said:

Hi there is a caviat regarding Serbia and Cyprus on the green card that only parts of the country controlled by the government are covered. I would think that insurers can put their own limits on policies regardless of government policies. 
Regards David 

I would guess that caveat is for Kosovo and North Cyprus which are not recognised, thus do not conform to the directive?

Well the plot thickens ......BUT

Firstly an apology, the Insurer was Ageas not Aegon! (I also have an Aegon policy)

Following Keith's suggestion I Twittered Ageas, .... they said can't help talk to Swinton

I facebooked Swinton, .... they said use our chatbot

I facebooked Swinton again and said .... "I've tried that but it doesn't work", and they replied you are only covered for European Community!  (whatever that is?)

So I'm in the process of kicking Swinton & Ageas into touch (renewal doesn't kick in until the 13th August), and am talking to AIB who do my Benimar Insurance (which does cover Serbia & Bosnia!). They say that their Motorbike Insurance will cover me.

........... BUT stop press .... my wife has just phoned AIB about our Motorhome to confirm the policy wording which says we ARE covered for Bosnia and Serbia on our Benimar Motorhome , but the certificate doesn't .... and they now say we are NOT covered!

AIB have phoned the underwriter and they say they don't know if we are covered or NOT! AIB are chasing the underwriter for clarification and why the 2 documents do not agree!

We seem to have opened a can of worms ....... Left hand and right hand come to mind!

Perhaps we'll give Bosnia & Serbia a miss this year?

Jeremy

Final update:- The underwriter KGM has come back to us via AIB and admitted they got it wrong. They had updated their Policy document but not their Certificate to show Serbia and Bosnia as covered. They are sending us a new certificate.

Swinton have been kicked into touch and our motorbike is now covered for Serbia and Bosnia through AIB with Europa.

It really pays to check the certificate wording ref European cover - 

I wonder how many people drive into eg Switzerland or Monaco or San Marino or Liechtenstein with those places not listed on their certificates. They are not EU and if your certificate says "Countries in the EU" only, you are not covered!

Jeremy

Edited by laimeduck

Just an update. Today, driving from Serbia to North Macedonia at customs we found two windows. The first checked passports, the second firmly asked for "green card".

The guy before us (nice Audi RS7 UK plated) gave a piece of white paper to the official. Green card or whatsoever, who knows ?

Edited by mtravel