USB problem

GandJP

I have a 2018 Chausson 637 Flash and on the overhead shelf on the passenger side are x2 USB sockets that have stopped working. I can"t find any mention of them in either the Chausson or Ford handbooks though the Ford one does mention the single USB socket in the compartment situated on the dash. I have checked all the fuses on the Chausson side of things but have found none that have burnt out .Everything else in the van seems to be working ok so they don't appear to share a fuse. The two situated by the bed are fitted alongside two 13A sockets so are mains powered and are working ok. I have not checked any on the Ford side of things as I dont want to upset anything by doing so like the radio detuning. Any ideas anyone? 

Edited by GandJP

Is it a power problem or data , or both

Have you tried different cables ? 

Depends to some extent on the type of USB cable as some are ; 

Data and supply,

Supply only, usually found on rechargeable items, like torches,

Very occasionally data only,

Also some cables wear very quickly, and wires break under the insulation.

Just some thoughts,

Rgds

The two cables I have tried with are brand new at least are only a couple of months old but will try others in the morning., Since I posted my wife now remembers they only worked when on mains connection and am plugged in on my drive so not a power problem and have checked breakers and mains and that side seems to be all ok, sockets are working and the battery charger is as well. I will look tomorrow if power is getting to them but it would appear not. I'll report back when I have looked, thks Tony. 

We have 2 apple supplied leads, quite old I guess that work perfectly when plugged into our phones. But for some strange reason if you rotate the plug in the phone both leads do not work. 
mall the other leads work whichever way you plug them into the phones. 

I have had a look at the usb port and can't see how it can be mains fed, access is really poor so can't test for power and will have to take the over head shelf completely apart to do that and that is the last thing I want to do. I have looked at the leisure battery and there doesn't seem to be any odd fuses with that. My conclusion is that the usb port is 12v (wife must be wrong about them working only when on hook up) but has now packed up completely and is fed off a fuse that is shared so not blown. It would have been useful if I had a circuit diagram but don't or being mentioned in the handbooks. Thanks for comments so far.

Hi - is the light button on the control panel on as in our 2019 chassin the USB sockets are on the 12v lighting circuit. 

I have heard of these failing due to cheap components- there is a guy on the Chausson owners Facebook group who has dome a step by step guide to change them.

Hi Dizzied, yes the switch is on and I have found that everything else is working ie. all lights etc etc. I think my wife may have killed it as she may have plugged her iPad into it and not just the iPhones. I have to say I never gave it a thought that it might be too much a load to tell her not to do that. On Monday I intend to remove it from its housing in that I have now had a good look at how it is all fixed and fingers crossed its not that big a job. I am not sure you can buy an expensive alternative and c£7 is about all I can find to spend so a cheapo component for sure. I didn't know there was a Facebook group might join that if only to see what else there has been problems with so thanks for that. 

Onecal,

might get one of those as it could be of use in the future anywhere, didn't know they existed. 

I tried to join the Facebook group but as I was immediately (a split second later I should add)  refused I presume that they have put a block on any new members. I did as asked and wrote an answer in the box on why I wanted to join and ticked the box on reading the rules so couldn't do more. Ah well perhaps another day. 

Edited by GandJP
added some info

Latest is that I have now been accepted so had a search of the site and found that it is completely the norm for these usb ports to fail and even more frighteningly CATCH FIRE can you believe?!!!!! So then it will be removed on Monday whatever and I will then be able to get a good look at things before replaceing it. A few nice people have even taken a few photos but most say its not a difficult job to do so I dont forsee any difficulties. I'll let you all know how things sort themselves out.

Edited by GandJP

Took the usb charger out today as I had a spare hour, simple enough and low and behold there is power there so charger is def kaput, I have instructed the wife to only charge the mobiles in future just in case an iPad is too much don't want to encourage a fire thats for sure. 

Def not a fuse problem as its connected to the fuse that also has lights etc etc and the power supply is ok so def the charger. I am having some difficulty finding a replacement that looks to be next to useless. So then I am now thinking of fitting a cigaret lighter socket and plugging in an adaptor so if there is a problem in the future then all I have too do is get a new adapter but would this be good practice or not so I shouldn't, anyone?

15 minutes ago, GandJP said:

So then I am now thinking of fitting a cigaret lighter socket and plugging in an adaptor so if there is a problem in the future then all I have too do is get a new adapter but would this be good practice or not so I shouldn't, anyone?

That was actually going to be my suggestion if you couldn't find a decent USB socket!

Hi Keithl

I have now found a charger made by a German company so really good quality for about £30, CE of course and an exact replacement power wise just need to confirm the company have one in stock if so I will take a trip down to Weston Supermare tomorrow pick it up and have fish n chips while we are there, being retired gives us the time, I think the socket and adapter would work fine but feel its not good practice so will only do that if forced to. 

Hi Onecal,.

Finding one that is "good" is the problem. So many are just crap, you can see that from the photo's and the price of about £7 speaks volumes. I wouldn't want to fit one that isnt any better than the one that I have taken out just not worth it and so many of the others have bright led displays and at night thats not good. Not sure many show the CE kite mark either so made in China rubbish most like. 

Apple Support provides a good deal of on-line guidance on charging iPads.

I don't know whether the electrical 'demand' of an iPad has a recognised potential to damage the type of socket fitted to GandJP's Chausson. There is advice that, although a USB socket with a low output can charge an iPad, the process will be exceedingly slow. Also that iPads (and Apple mobile devices generally) are very picky about the USB connection cables used.

(It may not be relevant to GandJP's problem, but I notice that the 230V mains adapter for my original iPad (now 7 years old and terminally comatose) was 10W, whereas my new iPad's 230V mains adapter is 20W.)

Hi Onecal,.

Finding one that is "good" is the problem. So many are just crap, you can see that from the photo's and the price of about £7 speaks volumes. I wouldn't want to fit one that isnt any better than the one that I have taken out just not worth it and so many of the others have bright led displays and at night thats not good. Not sure many show the CE kite mark either so made in China rubbish most like. 

Derek,

Wife's iPad is less than a year old so it will be the more powerful one but she has it with her (gone out) so cant check it. I can only presume by plugging it in simply put too much on the shoulders of the charger and it died because of. There are no visual signs or smell that it did anything more than that so at least no over excess heating or fire evidence. This appars to be a long running problem with Chausson and you would have thought they might have sorted it all out, perhaps they have but without looking at a brand new vehicle I cant say either way. Why concerns me is the low quality items I am seing on Fleabay and Amazon and even MH dealer sites. As far as I am concerned no CE mark = no purchase. 

onecal, 

My searches never brought them up and I ended buying one made by Reimo who are a German company and cost me £30. Had a look at yours and yes they too look the job but too late this time for me. Thanks and I am sure others here will be grateful as and when, certainly Chausson owners will be thats for sure.