Peugeot oil change

Pete-B

Morning all,

I've got a 2020 Autosleeper on a Peugeot chassis, it had a full Peugeot dealer service last year and I'm told it won't need one this year. That's fine but I read somewhere that it would be prudent to do a oil and filter change.As it will be out of warranty by then and If I wanted to do this myself would it be just as simple as replacing the oil and filter? I say this because somewhere in the back of my old brain box I think I've seen  that there's a bit more to it than that!

I've changed the oil and filter several times and as far as I know there is no more to it than changing the oil and filter.

But why would you change it before the manufacturer and dealers recommendation?  Especially with the price of the recommended oil which costs more because it lasts longer.

We pay more for modern synthetic oils because they don't degrade like the old oils did - on which the previous recommendations were based, and some people still cling on to.

My neighbour, a retired technical college lecturer and brother of a garage owner, never changed the oil in his Citroen car in the 13 years he had it, and it was immaculate when he sold it (but he only did 10,000 miles)

BMW are working on an engine which, like the gearbox, never needs an oil change.

Edited by John52

I believe the 2.2litre BlueHDi motor used in a 2020 Peugeot Boxer has a dip-stick, so filling up with the correct amount of new oil should not present problems.

I think the sump-plug MAY need a suitable tool (not an ordinary socket) and it seems to be common practice nowadays to replace the complete plug (cheap enough based on on-line adverts) not just a sealing washer.

You may be able to obtain servicing information (oil change intervals etc.) via the myPeugeot app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOvCpugFmm0

Fiat's Ducato maintenance/servicing guidance is reasonably transparent, but Peugeot's Boxer advice less so...

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/peugeot-boxer-service-intervals.219640/

Hi

Change your oil regularly, it is indeed very prudent to at least change your oil and filter every year if you are doing very low mileage . It does get degraded with time in an engine and indeed if its a Euro 6 it has to work a lot harder . Check out what the manufactures say and recommend  . Yes with better oils gone are the change periods of 3000 miles now pushed to 7000 and in some cases with some full synthetic oils 15000 miles if the vehicle is in   constant use   Read carefully all their details very carefully for a true picture!  It's your motorhome why skimp on an oil change that's  only once a year , again where will these guys that tell you "ah leave it there is no need to change it" "I know this guy or that guy that never changed it for years" , if you have problems with your engine later? Why take the risk? You have paid a lot of money for your pride and joy , never skimp on preventative maintenance 

Regards

Edited by onecal

My experience is with FIAT, not Peugeot, so there will be differences.

I don't replace the plug (as Derek highlights) but I always use a new washer (though the one that comes off always looks OK).

The plug on the Fiat needs a hex key (i.e. it is a female fitting).

One thing on the FIAT that may be relevant to the Peugeot (certainly Googling suggests it is) is that the oil degradation counter should be reset at oil change. The Fiat has both a service interval reset and an oil degradation reset  (the two processes may well be asynchronous and I think Peugeot is similar). I use MultiECUscan software for this reset (but it won't be relevant for your Peugeot).

There are simple instructions on the web on how to reset on the Peugeot using a pedal sequence, but it isn't clear (to me) whether this is for Service Interval, Oil change, or both. Frankly, if I didn't know, and my estimated mileage from last oil change the next anticipated service/oil change was rather less than the recommended interval, I'd probably change oil and leave any reset alone. (though the vehicle will think the new oil is already degraded, it should reach the next interval without problems, and the function you desire from the oil change will have been achieved).

Edited to add:

Check if your 'van has under engine tray(s) - it's a bit more involved if it has.

Quickest way to see when the oil change is recommended is to just look at the dashboard display.

The computer works it out for you, taking into account time, mileage, and type of driving.

Just turn on the ignition, press 'mode', use the adjacent scroll arrows to select 'service', press 'mode' again, then use the scroll arrows to reveal the estimated mileage to the recommended next service, and the recommended next oil change.  - assuming the garage has cleared the counter with their laptop and software when they changed the oil.  If they haven't the computer won't know its been changed and the oil change will be recommended earlier.  So no chance of going over the recommended oil change interval because the computer will let you know and put the engine in limp mode!

So there really is no need to worry about going over the oil change interval unless you zero the oil change counter without changing the oil !

If you change the oil and filter yourself and don't have the laptop and software to zero the oil change counter you can do it like this

For the X2/90 - print these instructions and follow them exactly;

To Extinguish Oil Light (Adblu must be full)

Turn Ignition On

Hold Throttle Pedal To Floor

Pump Brake Pedal 7 Times

Keep Holding Throttle Pedal To Floor for 60 Seconds

Release Throttle Pedal

Turn Ignition Off

Wait 60 Seconds

Start Engine – Change Oil light may come on but will go out soon

There's some good advic here and I've always had my opild changed every year. Yes the proper oil isn't cheap but the total cost of oil and filter comes out under £100. How much is a new engine? And it's an easy job to do too. My advice, which is worth exactly what you're paying for it (i.e nothing 🤪) is change it every year.

I sold a 90k mile Jag S type to my daughter's father in law at a good price. He wanted it 'cos his Mondeo had blown up due to never servicing it. About 18mths later the jag engine blew up and he admitted he'd never had it serviced or checked the oil and had the nerve to ask me if he could get a refund. FRO rang a bell,🤔 Hmm

Hi

Well Pete-B what conclusion did you come to re 

On 18/08/2023 at 09:48, Pete-B said:

Morning all,

I've got a 2020 Autosleeper on a Peugeot chassis, it had a full Peugeot dealer service last year and I'm told it won't need one this year. That's fine but I read somewhere that it would be prudent to do a oil and filter change.As it will be out of warranty by then and If I wanted to do this myself would it be just as simple as replacing the oil and filter? I say this because somewhere in the back of my old brain box I think I've seen  that there's a bit more to it than that!

10 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

Well Pete-B what conclusion did you come to re 

I rang Peugeot themselves this morning because it's a free phone to hopefully get the definitive answer. I really just couldn't understand the lady because her foreign accent was so strong but I  did catch there was  recall on my van. So I rang the Peugeot garage who did the first service and who had quoted me £248 for the oil change (HOW MUCH) the young lady said yes there was a recall but don't worry about the oil change because it's included in the recall so it'll be FOC.

Hows that for luck eh. 

1 hour ago, onecal said:

Hi,

Good news for you then , servicing is so important, (oil is cheaper than bearings) maybe you will let us know what is the recall for?

Regards

Sorry mate I just couldn't understand the lady at all but if anyone has 2020 Peugeot it would be worth checking with a dealer because mine didn't inform me so if I hadn't rung Peugeot I wouldn't have known.

I guess whatever the age is it would be worth checking for recalls it's a free call

Hi Keithl

That would also be my guess too , Irrespective of a freebie or not, it would always be very prudent to do an oil and filter change at least every year especially  if doing very low mileage and Euro 6 

Regards  

Edited by onecal

Isn't a 2020 peugeot a 2.0 engine rather than 2.2? Our 2019 is at least.

Anyway, noticed ours started being very oil thirsty over the last year. It's just done 6000 km over the past couple of weeks after service and had to add 2 liters. BTW Those little dots that show oil level before your turn the engine on seem to be pretty much 1 dot = 1 liter.

18 hours ago, Keithl said:

Pete,

As the recall includes a free oil change then my guess would be they are replacing the oil level/quality sensor which iirc is on the back of the engine and protrudes down into the sump.

Peugeot's service campaign (not a DVLA safety recall) is for ECU recalibration with regard to the Adblue pumping module pressure sensor. Engine oil and filter are changed so possibly there has been an unwanted side effect on DPF regenerations further down the BlueHDi exhaust line from the Adblue injection point.

• Like 1

Hi Steve928

If there is a fault with the differential pressure  especially causing excess regen' then yes it's very important the oil and filter is changed as I mentioned in my earlier post .With regard to pressure sensor for the AdBlue I am not so sure maybe a pump failure ( light on dash)  or poor pressure from the pump itself (Crystillisation deposits in pump filter from to low an exhaust temp or out of date or contaminated fluid) I am finding this common ,but I am afraid an ECU recalibration will not fix that issue. Always important to change your oil and filter at least once a year if doing low mileage especially now with Euro 6   

Regards   

I made no mention of differential pressure, nor DEF pump failure nor DEF crystillisation (sic) nor contaminated DEF (WETF that is) nor doing low mileage. I don't even have a Peugeot.

All I've given is a short factual statement

Best direct your comments to Peugeot rather than me if you are able to advise them re their service campaign. 0800 042 2422.

• Haha 1

Hi Steve928.

I have no idea as to their service campaign? I am just giving an overall picture as to what we deal with on a day to day basis, Again  this is very informative and relevant to ensuring regular oil changes especially when dealing with Euro 6. Thanks for your update 

Regards