Weighbridge needed in West Sussex

flyboyprowler

• Keithl changed the title to Weighbridge needed in West Sussex

I got a free weight check when I took stuff like batteries into the local scrapyard.  But when I didn't have anything to take in I just drove on to the weighbridge and politely asked them to tell me what it weighed .  They didn't mind - didn't cost them anything.  And I think they are used to people being a bit cheeky 😄

It's stating the obvious, but, as you are weighing your motorhome in order to choose suitable tyre pressures, you'll need to obtain weight figures for each axle. Doing this is something that a scrap-metal merchant's operatives may be unfamiliar with, so you may need to instruct them how to do it. This YouTube video may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kba_DFXBFiY&t=14s

(It would also be best for your motorhome to be near to 'fully loaded' trim when it is weighed.)

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

It's stating the obvious, but, as you are weighing your motorhome in order to choose suitable tyre pressures, you'll need to obtain weight figures for each axle. Doing this is something that a scrap-metal merchant's operatives may be unfamiliar with, so you may need to instruct them how to do it. This YouTube video may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kba_DFXBFiY&t=14s

(It would also be best for your motorhome to be near to 'fully loaded' trim when it is weighed.)

Worth looking at that Derek Thanks, but a couple of points

1) you don't need a printout - that takes time and may incur a fee 🤯  ... I just take in a notebook and pencil to write it down.  The sort of people who go around collecting scrap metal have to be a bit cheeky so they are used to it.

2) I don't bother pulling off and reversing back on - just pull forward so the front axle is off the scale - thats near enough.  In practice I have found it makes little or no difference, and in any case its only for tyre pressures.  The chances of a motor-home seeing any other weighbridge are negligible.

Incidentally, when I clicked on your you-tube link at first it wouldn't play due to my ad-block plus

(this doesn't happen when the you-tube link is embedded in the forum page) 

But when I refreshed the page the video played so I was able to view it.

I am wary of disabling the ad-block plus when looking at you-tube because my new chrome-book is telling me it has disabled a programme called 'ad-blocker for you-tube' because it may contain malware.  I have no idea where I picked that programme up.

Edited by John52

21 minutes ago, John52 said:

Worth looking at that Derek Thanks, but a couple of points

1) you don't need a printout - that takes time and may incur a fee 🤯  ... I just take in a notebook and pencil to write it down.  The sort of people who go around collecting scrap metal have to be a bit cheeky so they are used to it................................................

But, you are deviating from the van manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures, so may be open to challenge if stopped at a weight check or, more particularly, involved in any way in an accident.

So, for the relatively small cost involved, I think it is worth getting the print out in fully laden state (meaning everything and everyone on board including full gas, fuel and fresh water).

Then, if anyone should claim that you are running underinflated (which can result in overheated tyres and poor handling), you can show the actual laden axle loads, and Actual Laden Weight, of your van at that date and, if running on Continental tyres with a copy of the Continental Technical Databook (downloadable from their website, which gives pressure for load information for all their commercial and "camping" tyres) you can, if required, demonstrate that your tyre pressures are as recommended by the tyre manufacturer for those actual axle loads.

I'm surprised neither of the Horsham merchants could/would weigh Ainsley's van.  It's a bit far just for a ticket, but there is a builders merchant called "Chandlers" at Ringmer, on the B2192, just North-East of Lewes, (GPS  N50.907466 E0.100435) who have a well maintained electronic weighbridge on which I have weighed our vans over the years.  I usually did two weighings,  one in empty state with everything (including me!) except the basic tools removed, but with a full tank of fuel, and again with the van fully laden for use as above.  I then used a spreadsheet to check the results, and the effect on axle loads of moving, adding, or removing loads within the van.  I never experienced a roadside weight check, but A) I knew the load state of the van and B), if necessary, I could prove it.

You first ask the operator to set the weighbridge for a delivery, and then place the van as centrally as possible on the platform, get out, and then take that weight (weight 1).  You next drive forward just enough to take the front wheels off the platform, and take that weight (weight 2).  The weighbridge will then calculate weight 1 - weight 2, so giving you your actual laden weight (weight 1), your rear axle load, (weight 2) and your front axle load (which is weight 1 - weight 2).  You then know what your ALW is, what your front axle load (to set front tyre pressures) is, your rear axle ditto and, from your VIN plate, how much payload you have spare.  Unless you later add something heavy to the can (such as an awning), you really only need to do this once.

Based on Ainsley's earlier posting, I think he only plans to replace his N+B Flair motorhome's front tyres. So - if that's the case - he would only NEED to obtain the vehicle's front-axle weight.

I don't think he has confirmed the make, 'pattern' or specification (ie. size, load-index and speed-rating) of the replacement tyres, but - given the size and overall weight of his motorhome - the likelihood he will need to use a high front-tyre pressure and it may well be that this will be the pressure advised in the Iveco and/or N+B handbooks (and on the motohome's data-plates).

As far as I'm aware, Michelin are still prepared to provide 'safe' pressure-to-axle-weight advice for FRONT tyres (even for CP-marked 'camping' tyres) and, historically, they used to recommend a 10% increase over the 'safe' pressure to cope better with hard braking and cornering.

I am pleased to recommend Ripleys for weighing the van. I have ended up with a full set of Continental van contact 4 season tyres. Also been in contact with Gwyn Fennel at Conti technical who advised and sent me the data sheet for the varying weight and pressures and I will carry a printed copy of that from now on. 

Weighing was easy, front axel, back axel then both on and bingo the numbers match. Adding on weight for fuel and water and I have a figure that will be close enough to use for general use and I can mod it if we carry the scooter or indeed travel light. It makes a difference of .5 Bar between maximum weight on the front axel and our "normal" travelling weight, and 1.3 Bar on the rear axel again on max and normal weights.

All in all, it's been a learning, if expensive, curve but I feel more confident now with the tyre setup complete. And as before I thank you all for your contributions.

Ainsley

Well I wouldn't have thought a professional accident investigator / vehicle inspector / whatever / would accept an ancient weigh ticket instead of checking the current weight.

Or that you would need to explain to him that recommended tyre pressures can be safely reduced for lighter loads. 

If necessary the tyre or vehicle manufacturer would tell him that and it would be better coming from them. 

I have looked at recommended tyre pressure data sheets from different tyre manufacturers and found they don't all agree.

But then its a compromise - harder tyres = less rolling resistance, greater fuel economy, lower emissions.

But take that to its logical conclusion and we would be driving round on wheels as hard as steel which would shake us and our vans to bits.  You have to draw a line somewhere and opinions differ as to where to draw it.

4 hours ago, Keithl said:

Ainsley,

Please could you PM a copy of the Conti data sheet for my files.

Keith.

The Continental Tyre Databook 2022-2023 for cars/4x4s/vans is available on-line and can be down-loaded

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/85806/71c96d7b7f5265e7fdacae088b19f8e6/download-technical-databook-data.pdf

(though you may find that your browser dislikes accessing it...)

I am STILL unaware of the size of the Van Contact 4Season tyres that Ainsley has had fitted to his heavyweight Iveco-based N+B Flair motorhome, but I suspect it will not be the same as the size of your Auto-Trail's tyres.

Anyway, if you say what size of Van Contact 4Season tyre you need Continental's pressure-to-weight data, I can extract that information from the Databook.

Derek,

I already have a copy of the Conti data book you linked thanks and have been using various versions over the last few years.

I was curious what info Conti had provided in response to Ainsley's enquiry.

And I am pretty certain Ainsley confirmed his tyre size in another thread, possibly the one were you asked him to confirm his MH make and model.

Keith.

In an earlier forum thread I said (to Ainsley)

"It would be useful to know your motorhome's make, exact model and its build-year. Also the dimensions and load index of the tyres you need.

It LOOKS like Iveco Daily models have 225/65 R16 specification tyres and - to cope with the high weight load - the heavier chassis have a twinned-wheel rear axle."

This was an educated guess and the following reply

"Derek, you got it spot on the first time."

was hardly the type of specific answer I was seeking for.

27 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

In an earlier forum thread I said (to Ainsley)

"It would be useful to know your motorhome's make, exact model and its build-year. Also the dimensions and load index of the tyres you need.

It LOOKS like Iveco Daily models have 225/65 R16 specification tyres and - to cope with the high weight load - the heavier chassis have a twinned-wheel rear axle."

This was an educated guess and the following reply

"Derek, you got it spot on the first time."

was hardly the type of specific answer I was seeking for.

My apologies Derek, no flippancy intended. The tyres I now have are Continental VanContact All season size 225/65/R16C rated 121/120 and these are the van version and not the Camping tyre. Our van is the Niesmann and Bischoff 2018 Flair 830LE

Are you certain about the tyres' specification?

Assuming( from your postings on the earlier thread) that you might be choosing VanContact 4Season tyres with a 225/65 R16C specification, I looked at Continental's current Databook and was concerned that this size of tyres was only shown as 8PR-rated with a load index of 112/110. That load index would restrict a front axle maximum load to 2240kg and a rear (twinned wheel) axle maximum load to 4240kg. 2240 + 4240 = 6480 and - as I think your Flair has a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of 7200k (or 7500kg) - that specification tyre would potentially be unsuitable for the motorhome.

I think it's more likely that your Flair's tyres are 225/75 R16C, as this size is available as 8PR-rated or 10PR-rated. The 10PR-rated version has a load index of 121/120  and that would allow a front axle maximum load of 2900kg and a rear (twinned wheel) axle maximum load of 5600kg. 2900 + 5600 = 8500, so well above your Flair's GVW.

Hi all, i took my Peugeot Boxer to the weight bridge when we first got it, I only weighed the total weight which was 3440 kgs that was half tank water, full tank fuel, 2 people and everything to go away for 2 week's so not far from the max gross weight so i run the tyre pressure at the Peugeot recommended laden weight, surely that is the correct thing to do. Kevin

7 minutes ago, Kevjan said:

Hi all, i took my Peugeot Boxer to the weight bridge when we first got it, I only weighed the total weight which was 3440 kgs that was half tank water, full tank fuel, 2 people and everything to go away for 2 week's so not far from the max gross weight so i run the tyre pressure at the Peugeot recommended laden weight, surely that is the correct thing to do. Kevin

But how do you know that one or other axle is not overloaded whilst still being within your GVW?

19 minutes ago, Kevjan said:

Maybe, maybe not, it really depends on the axle loads. Take my Campscout, as it's on a Maxi chassis the recommended tyre pressures are for 2.1t front and 2.4t rear. this adds up to 4.5t which is 1t over the plated weight of 3.5t