Leisure battery price in Spain.

Zydeco Joe

Anybody know what kind of price Leisure batteries are in Spain ?.

Driving down through France later this week and just today Saturday found out that our leisure battery warning light on the panel in our Carado was on Red. Van heater (on gas) had been left on low (10C) for a couple of days without electric plugged in.

Van has a simple system of lights Red danger Orange warning and Green Good, no voltage given. On charge now .Problem is that its fitted under the drivers seat and not sure if we can get a new one fitted by Tuesday.

If you are able to replace battery yourself, then Tayna Batteries offer next working day delivery. Not sure that this applies to orders placed on Saturday, but their website says telephone open until 7:00pm today.  Worth a call?  Tel. 01745 823399

If average discharge was 1A, then typical habitation battery rated at 95Ah would be about 50% discharged over 48hrs, Deeper discharges are not recommended.

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zydeco Joe said:

Something of a "how long is a piece of string?" question...

Taking the VARTA LED95 battery as an example

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/varta-professional-dual-purpose-efb/930-095-085

Tayna's asking- price (including delivery) for that battery is £135, but I've seen UK on-line LED95 adverts with prices up to £252 (!!!!).

Similarly, a Spanish advert for a LED95 is priced at €179 (£155) whereas another Spanish advert quotes €288 (£250).

Plainly (based on bitter experience of having to replace a dead leisure-battery while in France), if you have to get a replacement in Spain and want a 'good' battery at the best price, you'll need to shop around and then arrange for it to be fitted if you can't DIY the task. This may not be easy or convenient.

As your Carado T135 is 2018-vintage, if its leisure battery is the original one (and charging it does not revive it)  it may not be such a bad thing to replace it now anyway.

• Like 1

It is the original battery but it is charging up ok, well I think it is as its gone green on the charge system after a couple of hours but am keeping a eye on it. Was planning to change after we get back from Spain in late Feb . The battery is fitted under the drivers seat that will have to be removed first to gain access to it this being the thing that I'm not too keen on doing myself.

This 2021 MHFun forum thread discussed removing the swivel mechanism from the driver's seat of a right-hand drive  Ducato X290-based Globecar campervan to gain access to leisure batteries housed beneath that seat.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/struggling-to-remove-ducato-driver-seat-swivel-base.249778/

My 2005 LHD Hobby motorhome had its leisure battery housed beneath its cab passenger-seat (UK offside) that was fitted with a swivel mechanism. When I had to replace that battery in France I detached the combined seat + swivel mechanism from the seat-base without needing to separate the seat from the swivel mechanism, but that might not possible with your Carado.

My 2015 Ducato X290-based Rapido had the usual Fiat 'captain's chairs' cab seats fitted with swivels, but as there were nothing significant beneath those seats I never bothered to explore exactly what would be involved in removing the seats/swivels. I do recall loosening and retightening the Rapido seats' fixing bolts to make sure I had the necessary tools and that I could undo the bolts if I had to (the Hobby's fixing bolts had been extraordinarily tight) but I never needed to do this and don't know how difficult it might have been.

Hi

No idea where you are going in Spain, but these guys may be of help  "Accastillage Diffusion Empuriabrava in Roses" Camping Mas Nou is across the road from the roundabout  42 15' 44" N   3  06'  06.7" E  (42.26221 3.10187) Not as cheap as home but they will fit if needed 

Regards

• Like 1

18 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

No idea where you are going in Spain, but these guys may be of help  "Accastillage Diffusion Empuriabrava in Roses" Camping Mas Nou is across the road from the roundabout  42 15' 44" N   3  06'  06.7" E  (42.26221 3.10187) Not as cheap as home but they will fit if needed 

Regards

Thanks for this will be a bit further south but as we never have a set plan who knows. Always good to know of a reliable company. Cheers.

On 25/11/2023 at 11:10, Zydeco Joe said:

Driving down through France later this week and just today Saturday found out that our leisure battery warning light on the panel in our Carado was on Red. Van heater (on gas) had been left on low (10C) for a couple of days without electric plugged in.

Van has a simple system of lights Red danger Orange warning and Green Good, no voltage given. On charge now .Problem is that its fitted under the drivers seat and not sure if we can get a new one fitted by Tuesday.

This may sound nuts - only time will tell!  🙂 

Have you tried contacting Tayna, and asking whether they could arrange delivery to Spain, and at what cost? 

Alternatively, if you will be back to UK late Feb, how about using EHU to the max while away and then changing the battery on return? 

The business of removing the seat/swivel will inevitably be disruptive while you're using the van, plus there are the seat belt pre-tensioner/airbag wires under the seat that need a bit of careful "management" to ensure all goes back properly.

Just a couple of thoughts

1 hour ago, flyboyprowler said:

We are down near Vera in the south and our local MH dealer has, and fits batteries and anything else that you would need. They are Hispavan, and I am happy to recommend all their services and work.

Ainsley

GPS coordinates, if it helps: N37.26486 W1.90256.  Hispavan is on a largish light industrial "park" (Parque Industrial El Real), just north of the junction of the AP7 with the A7 (about 1.6 miles NW of Vera).  The coordinates should take you to the front of the dealership.  🙂 

Hi

Yes many of our members know of Hispvan and hopefully they may be able to help you . AD as i mentioned have over 140 stores in Spain and their is one in Almerimar , Caille Veradero Sn El Ejido  36.69532 -2.78811, you may find them better value . In answering Brian's question , Tayna do not ship outside the UK to Spain as per their e mail this morning 

Hope that helps 

Regards

11 hours ago, flyboyprowler said:

We are down near Vera in the south and our local MH dealer has, and fits batteries and anything else that you would need. They are Hispavan, and I am happy to recommend all their services and work.

Ainsley

Thanks Ainsley, stayed in your area last year and could do again this winter so if needed could contact this dealer. Cheers all helps if we needed to change the battery while on the road.

In France now on a aire all good so far with the back up of the Ecoflow being charged as we drive via the vans cigar lighter plug in.  Not much solar but that should be ok in sunny Spain 😎 

On 29/11/2023 at 11:57, Brian Kirby said:

This may sound nuts - only time will tell!  🙂 

Have you tried contacting Tayna, and asking whether they could arrange delivery to Spain, and at what cost? 

Alternatively, if you will be back to UK late Feb, how about using EHU to the max while away and then changing the battery on return? 

The business of removing the seat/swivel will inevitably be disruptive while you're using the van, plus there are the seat belt pre-tensioner/airbag wires under the seat that need a bit of careful "management" to ensure all goes back properly.

Just a couple of thoughts

Hi Brian planning on changing battery when we get back in march but so far ok. On aire in Verteuil no electric but with the ecoflow as back up that we are charging via cigar lighter socket while driving and hopefully Spanish solar (have the 220amp portable panel plus 120 on roof). All ok so far even traffic was light today and flat calm English channel.  Lol.

Never thought changing a battery would be so difficult, had to change car battery this March when we got back took just a day to get new one delivered and took me 10 mins to refit. Motorhomes for you are by definition difficult I guess, all part of the fun. Thanks for your input. 

1 hour ago, Zydeco Joe said:

Thanks Ainsley, stayed in your area last year and could do again this winter so if needed could contact this dealer. Cheers all helps if we needed to change the battery while on the road.

In France now on a aire all good so far with the back up of the Ecoflow being charged as we drive via the vans cigar lighter plug in.  Not much solar but that should be ok in sunny Spain 😎 

Our local site, Carpe Diem on the outskirts of Vera is now full to bursting for the winter. If you are heading south eventually, it may be a good plan to check availability, even if you don't need it! We came down the east coast two weeks ago and sites were starting to get full. I have never seen it so busy!

Enjoy your trip

Ainsley

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up report.

So far this trip started end November driving through France into Spain. Only time on electric was Christmas and New Year left 3rd January so no electric charging for 3 weeks. All ok used Ecoflow this morning to top up leisure battery only third time we have had to do this so very pleased so far. Staying on aires or like last night and tonight wildcamping so zero cost for overnighting for the 3 weeks or so plus before 18 December.. Topped fuel yesterday at 1.41 euros. Had up to 25C daytime.

Most of this inland not on the overcrowded coast with last 2 weeks down towards Granada mainly small villages but sometimes even then getting full. Not seen that many British reg vans.

Edited by Zydeco Joe
Added details.