Overcab repair

AndyB1

What would be the best way to repair this hole by the roof marker light in the overcab roof? I think it’s some sort of plastic not fibreglass (can’t see any fibre structure). I’ve plugged it with some mastic for the moment. 2008 Burstner Solano.

IMG_2051.jpeg

Image below is of the front of the over-cab moulding of a 2008 Burstner Solano T710 (like Andy's).

image.png.045ed83a2431964a569267119d827fe8.png

The moulding will undoubtedly be made of glass-fibre, but, in places, the 'gauge' of the material may  be very thin and lack fibre reinforcement.

Andy's photo shows some surface defects (eg. to the left of the marker light) which may be due to the gel-coat detaching or indicate that the the moulding was painted (or both). My 2005 Hobby's glass-fibre over-cab moulding was painted and thin where the shape was complex.

There's plenty of on-line advice/guidance on glass-fibre repairs - for example 

https://www.fibreglassdirect.co.uk/blog/post/fibreglass-repair

but the acceptability of the repair will depend on the amount of preparation taken, the method used and the skill of the repairer. The T710 photo above shows that the area around the marker light is fairly visible from the ground, so there is an incentive not to bodge up n unsightly repair even if the end result is waterproof.

• Like 1

Fair comment Derek yes

I suppose it depends how much you want to spend on it.

I come from more of a commercial vehicle maintenance background where nobody would think of going to that expense to fix a hole in the roof of a 15 year old van.  Just get it back on the road.

The problem here is going to be access to work on it? Not the easiest location to balance from a ladder while stretching over the mirror for a couple or three hours?

As it is so small, I would be tempted to seal the hole with whatever(filler/mastic/resin) as small and as smooth as possible then cover with a small fablon type sticky back plastic decal, and do the other side as well so it doesn't look out of place. (Or even simple paint a small round circle over the repair in a dark colour, eg black paint?). Basically a "Trompe d'oeil"

Jeremy

1 hour ago, John52 said:

...I come from more of a commercial vehicle maintenance background where nobody would think of going to that expense to fix a hole in the roof of a 15 year old van.  Just get it back on the road.

The current asking-price of a 2008 Solano T710 is around £35, 000 - so there's plenty of incentive to carry out a visually acceptable repair.

This image of a red-stripe version (like Andy's) shows that reaching the marker-light area (green arrowed) should not be too difficult

image.png.69bd6bc5824c5dee2f5a84b48afabc18.png

and disguising the repair as Jeremy suggests (perhaps matching the red colour) should be easy enough. 

(If the present mastic 'ploy' stops water ingress, it might be wise to leave more permanent repairs either until the Spring or until the motorhome can be under cover.)

Have to disagree about access Derek. The frontage is very similar to my Benimar and from experience it's not easy. To work on the overcab from steps means positioning the steps parallel to the van otherwise you are too far away. That means about 60cm away from the hole which means twisting the body and unstable steps. Even with a platform (which I have) you can't get it close and have to stretch and/or bend.

(If you lean a ladder against the van the curvature of the overcab means that a ladder slips sideways).

Jeremy

34 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

The current asking-price of a 2008 Solano T710 is around £35, 000 - so there's plenty of incentive to carry out a visually acceptable repair.

With that kind of value surely it is worth looking at a professional repair.

@AndyB1 What is your approx location and maybe someone can suggest a repairers to al least get a quote?

Keith.

Thanks for all the comments. I have a scaffold that I use to clean her which makes things a bit easier than just a ladder. With temperatures the way they are I was going to leave the proper repair until it’s a bit warmer. She’s under cover most of the time (I’ll have to attach picture of the shelter of which I am v proud!) although I will be away in her for a few days later this month, I’ll just keep an eye on the mastic during that time. I live in North Devon if any one knows of a quality repairer.

IMG_2293.jpeg

2 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

image.png.69bd6bc5824c5dee2f5a84b48afabc18.png disguising the repair as Jeremy suggests (perhaps matching the red colour)

I thought the area of the hole is white where the arrow is pointing

I have white gaffa tape.  If it was up there you might see it because you knows its there - no one else would see it.

Doubt if you will get a totally invisible repair anyway.

I have black (3M - good quality) gaffa tape on my cracked mirror housing, the clear type on cracked rear lens, and the white type over a disused aerial hole in the roof that has been on for a couple of years with no sign of weathering.  

I.m not disagreeing with you though.  There is more than one way to do jobs like this - none of which is the 'right' or the 'wrong' way. 🙂

As Derek says, that will probably be a light polyester lay-up.

It's not unusual to find voids - especially where a moulding has a more intricate shape.

Looking at the picture there does look to be a clear void - camper mouldings tend to be light and not particularly great quality [my Hymer GRP mouldings aren't great]

A decent boat moulder/builder would be your best option, they would knock out the void, back to a solid substrate - because it's probably a bit bigger than the picture suggests, and re-gel.

It's not a difficult job to do a gel repair yourself, but there is a black art to blending and finishing.

Likewise, it probably won't cost a lot if you use a pro, and you'll never notice the repair if done well.

Depending on which part of North Devon you are, I may be able give you some pointers.

I agree, it does appear to be a gel coat issue.

If you fancy a trip to Plymouth I can recommend Spencer from Anything Fibreglass, he repaired some minor damage on a boat I used to have and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending him.

He is based in Yacht Haven Quay which is close to Morrisons at Plymstock and benefits from a very good cafe on-site!

https://anything-fibre-glass.business.site/