First time top up of Ad Blue

Adiebt

Posted (edited)

Move the key to the MAR position , it is not necessary to start the engine 
Wait for the indication on the instrument panel to switch off before moving the vehicle. The indication may stay on for a few seconds to approximately half a minute.
If the engine is started and the vehicle is moved, the indication will remain on for longer. This will not compromise engine operation;

The above is copied from the manual , explaining what to do post filling with ad blue , what is meant by the indication on the instrument panel switching off ? Cheers . 

Edited by Adiebt

If the filler is the same as my 2021 model there is a flap/gate in the filler pipe so when you pour the adblu in it slops out again.  You need something to push the flap open.  Probably designed for a filling station pump.  If you are filling from a container I find a foot of garden hose pushed on the end of a funnel far better than the thing supplied with the adblu container (its too short and too flimsy).  You can slip an elastic band around the funnel/garden hose and the fuel/adblu bodywork filler flap to hold the funnel in position whilst you pour the adblu in.

Hi

13 hours ago, Adiebt said:

I’m approaching the time for a first top up ( 35% left ) , never done this before , is there a procedure to follow ? Cheers . 
2023 Burstner Harmony Line . 

May I refer you to your handbook pages 210 -213 for correct filling procedure and cautions  of your AdBlue (urea) as per manufactures instructions 

Regards

Edited by onecal

17 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

In the 2023 Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook, the relevant entry in the index is 

AdBlue® (UREA) additive for diesel emissions 

(The guidance covers several pages and is quite comprehensive.)

Well yes - If all else fails read the instructions 😉

Doesn't say anything about the flap in the filler neck though.  So if the AdBlue nozzle supplied with the container is too short or too soft to push it open you may wonder (like I did) why the the AdBlue you are pouring in is spilling down the side of the van when the reservoir is still nearly empty.

Edited by John52

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

May I refer you to your handbook pages 210 -213 for correct filling procedure and cautions  of your AdBlue (urea) as per manufactures instructions 

Regards

You have already suggested that and I have , I also quoted the handbook and asked a question as I’m uncertain of a certain piece of terminology. 

Edited by Adiebt

Adiebt

On which page of your Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook does the text you quoted in your first posting come from, please? (I couldn't find it...)

As I said earlier, the alphabetical index of the relevant Handbook for a 2023 Ducato includes an AdBlue entry and the entry itself comprises several pages. I deliberately chose not to quote page numbers as the structure of Ducato Handbooks has been known to change significantly between publications. However, a cursory browse through recent Handbooks indicates that AdBlue guidance is likely to be found in pages 210-213 as onecal has advised.

14 hours ago, Adiebt said:

Move the key to the MAR position , it is not necessary to start the engine 
Wait for the indication on the instrument panel to switch off before moving the vehicle. The indication may stay on for a few seconds to approximately half a minute.
If the engine is started and the vehicle is moved, the indication will remain on for longer. This will not compromise engine operation;

The above is copied from the manual , explaining what to do post filling with ad blue , what is meant by the indication on the instrument panel switching off ? Cheers . 

The indication on the dashboard panel showing the AdBlue level

(If it has that on your van.  Mine doesn't have that on the dashboard panel, although there are sensors in the AdBlue reservoir because when I connect my chromebook through the free google car scanner app it tells me a huge amount of information including the AdBlue level and concentration.)

7 hours ago, John52 said:

An unnecessary and unfunny comment that I've removed. Please TRY to be diplomatic in 2024.

DU

You have changed the text of my post so it looks like I said the words you wrote in reply to Adiebt

John52

I believe there was no real doubt to whom I was addressing my text, but - just to remove any possible ambiguity - I've re-edited your last posting.

Derek Uzzell (Forum moderator)

Hi

If you are unsure or have reservations  of how to fill your 2023 Motorhome AdBlue tank or indeed need more information/terminology regarding your warning message and cancelling , may i suggest as your motorhome is under warranty you return to your dealer for a full explanation/terminology of all those aspects  and the simple operation of same 

May I again  refer you to your handbook pages 210 -213 for correct filling procedure and cautions  of your AdBlue (urea) as per manufactures instructions 

Edited by onecal

This long YouTube video refers to AdBlue and the final 3 minutes describes the topping-up procedure for a Fiat Ducato motorhome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJ-GCtTam4

As highlighted by John52 earlier in this thread, the need to push open the 'valve' that's in the neck of the Ducato's filler orifice is explained and demonstrated.

There's a much shorter (Peugeot Boxer) video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vqZBSOeSD4&t=17s

It's evident from the videos that refilling a Ducato's  AdBlue tank could be tricky where opening the 'valve' is concerned and (as John52 also emphasised) this aspect of the procedure is not mentioned in the Ducato Owner Handbook.

For what it's worth, I notice that security devices are available for Boxer/Ducato/Relay AdBlue tank filling-points. This example is in metal, and plastic versions are also advertised. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twowinds-Stainless-Security-Anti-Pollution-Additive/dp/B0CDGR1V7M

Hi

The safety flap is nothing new ? The procedure is as simple as filling or adding any fluid to your vehicle and the cautions are well documented as to filling of the adBlue (urea) in the owners manual P210-213 to his vehicle  Anyone having such difficulty with this simple task should ask their dealer for a full explanation/terminology of all those aspects  of the simple filling of adBlue to their vehicle . Regarding the safety locking device that Derek refers to , really the manufacture should supply a lockable adBlue cap and should be positioned away from the Diesel filler point to prevent contamination of fluids 

Regards

AdBlue lockable filler cap.jpg

Edited by onecal

I remembered this 6-years-old forum thread (relating to AdBlue and a Peugeot Boxer)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/41587-scr-contamination/

and - as I couldn't recall the security of the AdBlue filler of Boxer/Ducato/Relay vehicles coming up on these forums subsequently - I thought it worth mentioning the 'safety flap' product.

It's interesting (to me) that the idea of a  'safety flap' was put forward in the 2017 forum thread as a possible security measure.

...just had a look at mine and because of the diameter of the filler tube It would be difficult to find a lockable cap. One possible solution may be an alloy plate that goes over the fuel filler when the cap is removed and protrudes downwards to partially cover the adblue cap and prevent turning of the adblue cap, there is about 5mm of space behind the diesel cap when locked in position so it could work, difficult to explain but a plate with a slightly larger hole goes over the diesel fuel filler and then the lockable fuel cap goes over to hold plate in position...

My reading of the "SCR contamination" forum discussion was that, in 2017, for Boxer/Ducato/Relay X290 vehicles no lockable AdBlue- tank filler-cap (of the type shown in your two photos) was available. This 2017 Fiat Forum  thread said the same thing

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/lock-ad-blue-filler-cap.446437/

and - when I GOOGLE-searched before making my last posting - this still seemed to be the case. 

Although this type of lockable AdBlue filler-cap is widely marketed (advert here)

https://www.tetrosylexpress.com/product/tcat2307-fuel-tanks-caps/adblue-locking-fuel-cap-wipeac004/WIPEAC004

none seem to be suitable for Boxer/Ducato/Relay X290 vehicles. 

Plainly, if you know that there is a lockable AdBlue filler-cap suitable for X290s (and can provide a link) that might offer a better alternative to the KISS 'safety flap' approach. 

On 06/01/2024 at 11:58, onecal said:

Regarding the safety locking device that Derek refers to , really the manufacture should supply a lockable adBlue cap and should be positioned away from the Diesel filler point to prevent contamination of fluids 

Sadly they have not provided both, (although contacting your dealer may be a good idea and look for one) those that are purchasing same maybe need to put some pressure on  those that are providing these vehicles. Why should one have  to purchase a lockable filler cap on a new vehicle or indeed mess around with locking plates  ?   

Many of the lockable vented caps  available to purchase depending on size of nozzle filler point  

Regards

Edited by onecal

Forgive me, but your last sentence just states the obvious. What I asked was if you KNEW there was a lockable AdBlue filler-cap suitable for X290 vehicles and, if you did, would say exactly from where it could be sourced.

This relevant MHFun forum thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/adblue-a-few-questions.282892/

mentions potential problems filling a Ducato's AdBlue tank (due to the 'valve' in the neck of the filler) and Includes a photo of the AdBlue level 'gauge' of a recent Ducato fitted with the digital dashboard.

From Adiebt's comment in his original posting that his motorhome's AdBlue tank had "35% left", it's near certain that his vehicle has that type of dashboard. And if I had read his 2nd posting more carefully (Mea Culpa), it would also have been plain that he had the Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook and was well aware where in it guidance on AdBlue could be found.

Hi 

Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious (G.Orwell.I think)

Surly Fiat should provide a locking vented filler cap on new vehicles I do believe many of the original vented caps have caused problems in the past due to blockages /crystallisation. Would it now not be a good time if they are replacing same (hopefully all) to supply a lockable one

Hence my statement would now not be a good time to put some pressure on the suppliers of such vehicles for lockable vented AdBlue caps that fit the vehicle  

Many of the lockable vented caps are available depending on the AdBlue filler aperture diameter, simply look up the diameter for fitment of your vehicle, not the model, if it's not on the list contact the vendor to see if they supply

If not one really has to wonder why?

Regards   

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...

The full George Orwell quotation is from his "Facing Unpleasant Facts: Narrative Essays" and reads

“We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.”

This is hardly a recommendation for repeatedly side-stepping the simple question Do you KNOW if there is a lockable AdBlue filler-cap suitable for X290 vehicles and, if so, from where exactly can it be sourced?

I did make a cursory check regarding availability from on-line sources before saying earlier that, (as far as I could see) although lockable AdBlue filler-caps were widely marketed, none were advertised as being suitable for Boxer/Ducato/Relay X290 vehicles.

It may be that, if one measured the diameter of an X290's AdBlue tank's filler orifice and contacted a vendor of lockable caps as you've suggested, a suitable cap might be identified. Nevertheless, when GOOGLE-searching on fiat ducato adblue tank lockable filler cap the only product offered for X290 vehicles seems to be the 'protective cover plate' I mentioned in my last-Saturday's posting. If a suitable lockable cap were available, one might reasonably expect it to be well advertised.

As you are fond of quotes, the proverb if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck could be adapted to if no AdBlue lockable filler-cap is specifically advertised as suitable for X290 vehicles, then there probably isn't one.

Hi 

Just contact the vendor and ask , No need to be making such a big deal out of it to be honest . If one can't find one re researching the web , so what ???  lol . Go to your local dealer and see if one is available . If it's not available from the dealer  , One has to ask, Why not? No need to make something out of nothing. Again look up the diameter of the filler aperture and ask some vendors of the lockable vented AdBlue Caps, have they a lockable Vented  AdBlue Filler Cap to suit that diameter ,or of course spend time just trolling as some do, to find one , Simple 

Regards

Edited by onecal

A final posting (from me) on available security measures for guarding the AdBlue filler of Boxer/Ducato/Relay X290 vehicles against vandalism

I have confirmed with a local Fiat Professional agency that they were unable to provide a conventional lockable cap for the filler, though they were aware of the metal or plastic 'safety flaps' that are widely advertised. 

This photo shows the standard unlockable AdBlue cap and the narrow neck of the filling point.

image.png.872714773a6da476ee152389895604af.png

As I don't know the diameter of the filler aperture I was unable to check with vendors of lockable AdBlue caps whether they could provide a cap for a X290, but the photo shows the unique design of the cap's lower section, suggesting that a conventional lockable cap would be unsuitable. Assuming that securing the AdBlue filler would not just be of interest to UK X290 owners, I looked for lockable AdBlue caps on French and German websites, but (as I had anticipated) only 'safety flaps' were shown.

Onecal said above  I do believe many of the original vented caps have caused problems in the past due to blockages /crystallisation

I chanced on two mentions of X290 AdBlue cap-venting problems, one of which was this Fiat Forum discussion.

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/if-you-have-adblue-tank-ducato-21-plate-then-please-read-this.505063/

This issue seemingly does not merit a DVSA safety recall, so it's to be hoped that the original problematical caps were replaced when the vehicles were being maintained.

Hi All

Thanks for following up on that Derek.Yes strange they (Fiat Professional agency) were unable to supply. It's well known the issues with the caps and blockages of AdBlue caps due to blockages (not just with Fiat) and theft of AdBlue now that it has got more expensive  There should be a recall issued on same as not all are serviced by Fiat agents and a lot do not get to hear about service memos Again it looks like it's more prevalent with motorhomes ,(maybe because some are not used as much as your van and the AdBlue itself crystallizes within the cap, so not just affecting Fiat alone) Replacing some blocked poor vented caps  with an unlockable cap is a little foolhardy considering the cost of AdBlue now and also the dangers of incorrect fluid been deposited into the tank often without the owners consent    

Again measuring the diameter of the filler neck and contacting some of the vendors in Italy may be able to supply a lockable vented Adblue cap to suit . I am sure as Derek says nothing on the web , there is nothing , as no better man to find it . I have contacted my supplier in Germany who tells me they are out of stock. I am sure why as there is quite  a demand for same.  Maybe they think it may not be profitable as Fiat may be replacing them with lockable caps as a goodwill gesture??? or these lockable vented Adblue caps are selling like hot cakes ? I have no idea on both those counts, but it's strange one . I will let anyone that's interested, if and  when they come back into stock  , just PM me 

Again I think they should be updated with a lockable vented AdBlue cap by the dealers  as the owner should not have to be have to purchase a steel plate (they do a great job, and much better than a free opening cap) on a new vehicle. People that have this issue need to get-together and complain.

Regards