Ducato Battery life?

My 2016 Hymer (2300 also) is still on its original starter battery and showing no signs of failing or decreased efficiency.

However, the van is a 2015 build and I suspect the chassis and engine are likely to be 2014 or possibly even earlier. As I don’t wish to be caught out touring in rural France or Spain, I intend to replace the battery at service mid February before this years touring begins in earnest. I did the same for the Habitation battery last year.

I used to own a Mazda MX5 as a second car. When I sold it, the original battery, which was still going strong, was 14 year old. I suspect you can be fortunate or have a battery that fails at a much younger stage. I think ten years for my Hymer battery means I have had good value and I am happy to change.

Davy 

During some 50 years of Motorhoming both UK and abroad by far the most unreliable element of almost every van were the batteries - both engine and hab.

We never used sites or EHU and we found that batteries thought good could often fail unexpectedly and suddenly - usually at the most inconvenient time - dark, cold, wet, windy, etc.

We learnt to carry a good spare battery secured in a locker together with jump leads long enough to reach from hab to starter battery and were able to overcome such annoyances quite easily.

Disconnecting the leisure battery(ies) from their circuits and jumping them to the engine battery usually worked to start the van and only once did we ever need to use the spare battery.

We were sometimes able to help other stranded vanners of various nationalities in various countries over the years and that alone made the carrying of 'get out of jail free' spares worthwhile.

If you use sites with EHU you are probably less 12v reliant but if your camping style and attitude to risk warrants it then a good spare 'un is worth considering.

Hi

In answering the OP question , who really knows how long any individual battery will last? We have loads of recommendations and if cared for some do last quite longer than their predicted life span where as other just do not. I think at nine years you have done very well and maybe now it would be prudent to change it , as you say "to save hassle soon" 

Regards 

I had to change the starter battery on my Auto trail 635 2018 issue last year as when Ma-Ve came to check a fault on on the self levelling system it showed up as faulty even though it started the engine 

I agree with others here, if you're doubting how long it will last then now is the time to replace it!

Think about it, you can decide on a suitable make and size of battery then find the best price and have it delivered and fitted at your leisure rather than when stranded on the side of the road in a blizzard and be at the mercy of a breakdown service!

• Like 2

Right now as I type this gf is taking our original van battery to scrapyard.

2011 van, changed the battery in 2019 when it was 8 1/2 years old, it then went on to a life as tractor battery, a few months ago we finally deemed it beyond usefull life at 12 1/2 years old, of course when using it on the tractor a flat battery was just a nuisance which was easily rectified.