ULEZ

brayncc

I appologise if this has already been said but as far as I know a Crit-Aire sticker is mandatory on all vehicles whatever it is or the fuel it uses and at all times so as and when you do enter a 'zone' then you can be identified as being compliant or not and if you don't enter a zone then there is nothing to be accountable for or to anyone. I went to France three times last year and never encountered any roadsigns that applied to me but there again I do not go into large towns or cities though I do remember a slower speed to ease pollution at some point. I usually use the Ouistrehem ferry so I skirt Caen on the Periphique both directions, I go through parts of Tours on the motorway on the way down so thats not an issue and that's about it for me where large towns are concerned as I drive mainly rural roads on my return. As and when I come across an area that is not for me, I am green, then I will simply turn round and find another route. 

On the subject of ULEZ it appears Tfl have been illegally obtaining personal details of EU citizens to send out absurd fines 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/eu-citizens-ulez-fines-data-breach-tfl

For years foreign lorry drivers have been able to stick 2 fingers up to the toll booths at the Dartford crossing, £25 per night motorway services parking etc, helping them to undercut higher taxed UK registered hauliers.  (Dartford crossing claims they have to pay but the amount of uncollected charges proves them wrong)

It seems innocent tourists didn't know they don't have to pay?

So presumably it works the other way round and we can't be pursued for EU emissions charges?

This link includes information about the French Crit'Air 'sticker'

https://www.france.fr/en/holiday-prep/crit-air-anti-pollution-vehicle-sticker

and a one significant sentence advises as follows:

The Crit'Air certificate is only compulsory in certain zones.

If (say) a UK motorist crosses the Channel from Plymouth to Roscoff and spends a few weeks just exploring the delights of Brittany, there would be no need to obtain a Crit'Air sticker for his/her vehicle as (at the moment) there is nowhere within Brittany (city or zone) that requires the sticker to be displayed on vehicles.

As has been said on this forum many times, the cost of the sticker is small and is valid for the life of the vehicle on which it is displayed. So if UK motorists are unsure where in France they will be driving, or wish to 'future proof' themselves, it makes sense to obtain the sticker. But a Crit'Air sticker is not mandatory on all vehicles.

Regarding John52's question

...So presumably it works the other way round and we can't be pursued for EU emissions charges?

While it may not currently be practicable for the French authorities to successfully pursue a UK motorist who has been caught speeding by an automated speed-camera and who has returned to the UK, this should also be the case if caught by an 'emissions' automated system. However, if a UK motorist driving in France is caught speeding by a manned speed-trap, they are going to receive an on-the-spot fine, and the same principle applies to Crit'Air-related infractions.

https://actu.fr/ile-de-france/paris_75056/vignette-crit-air-attention-les-amendes-tombent-deja-dans-la-zfe-du-grand-paris_56354972.html

• Like 1

Thank you all for your useful comments.

It does appear that the future of non compliant vehicles may be limited and so a ULEZ compliant van is a good idea. Strangely, it doesn't yet seem to have affected price. I've been looking at VW Transporters and, even though second hand prices are a bit chaotic at present, the price increase from older to newer vehicles doesn't seem to show a marked a 'jump' from 2015 to 2016 vehicles.

1 hour ago, ColinM50 said:

John 52, it must be some time since you crossed the Thames, the Dartford toll booths disappeared in 2014, so ten years ago.

Yes but were replaced by number plate recognition ...so no real change?

Edited by laimeduck
  • Like 1

Anyone who is still under the illusion you are innocent until proven guilty should read this

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/feb/10/car-cloning-drivers-fines-scams-number-plates

Like the victims of the horizon scandal, Its down to you to prove your innocence

Seriously

They suggest getting something fitted to your vehicle to make it look different to the cloned vehicle in CCTV images.  But how would you prove you hadn't done that after the offence.