Thetford fridge front panel rattle

The front panel on a Thetford fridge seems to be just a sheet of plastic slid into a panel. This is not just a bit "wobbly" so not looking good but I also think it is one source of rattles when driving. Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution?

What model of Thetford fridge?

The instructions to replace the door trim panel vary by model but basically you remove the door then either unclip or unscrew a retaining piece and slide the trim panel out.

You could then try using a very low tack adhesive such as 'Photo Mount' to hold the trim panel in place and prevent it rattling. Alternatively slide something down the back of the trim panel to take up the gap, maybe a couple of sheets of kitchen roll???

Keith.

Over the years we too experienced this rattle.

Being careful not to overpack and cause a bulge I just applied small dabs of foam backed adhesive strip draught excluder to the panel or to the door to  absord any movement.

Job done - cheap and easy!

It is the Thetford N4000. Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of sticking it in place but that seemed a bit basic and what about if we needed to change it because we did see a brand new MH with a cracked front panel. Anyway we will apply something sticky but not too sticky...

Thetford's N4000 range of fridges comprises 13 models ranging in capacity from 80 to 175 litres and with flat-front or curved-front doors.

I can't find any instructions/advice on removing the front panel of a N4000 fridge's door and spare parts listings just show the complete door. So, although the front panel "...seems to be just a sheet of plastic slid into a panel..." removing/replacing it without causing damage may be trickier than first appears.

I suggest Thetford be contacted about front panel removal and availability of a replacement front panel for Bob's particular N4000 fridge BEFORE attempting the task. If the panel becomes damaged and only complete doors are marketed, attempting to address a potential rattle/'wobbliness' would prove expensive.

(As front panels for Thetford N3000 fridges clearly are available, it's quite likely that this is also the case for N4000 fridges - but it would be wise to confirm this.)

On 28/01/2024 at 20:45, BobGarrett said:

The front panel on a Thetford fridge seems to be just a sheet of plastic slid into a panel. This is not just a bit "wobbly" so not looking good but I also think it is one source of rattles when driving. Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution?

Hi 

Sorry I just got to read your first post.Yes if it's a brand new fridge , of course , why not go back to the dealer to have any fault rectified under warranty if applicable 

Maybe more are having issues as you describe with their appliance. Look through a few other forums or Facebook etc' and you may find some others that may have / or have not had the issue resolved without taking on any remedial work yourself which may void your warranty 

Regards 

This link describes fitting the decorative door-panel to Thetford N3000 fridges with framed doors (so might also apply to the N4000 range)

https://manualzz.com/doc/o/uawzo/n3000-series-n3000-series-installation-instructions-door-panels-framed-doors

The N4000 range was introduced in 2019 and the Thetford warranty is 3 years.

Bob's fridge is not brand-new, but if its Thetford warranty has not expired (and, presumably is transferrable) if Bob's motorhome has been bought through a dealer, it would be worth exploring an under-warranty fix.

(I could find no 'forum' comments about this issue, but I didn't check on Facebook.)

It might be helpful if Bob provided details of his motorhome (make, exact model and age) and of the model of Thetford N4000 fridge it has.

My last (and final) motorhome was a Fiat Ducato-based Rapido 640F built (by Rapido) in January 2015  and had a 2-door Thetford N3150 fridge-freezer.

The Thetford N3150 had curved decorative front panels. I don't remember (on my Rapido's fridge) either of the panels being loose and the chances seem remote that they would have been able to rattle. I'm pretty sure that motorhome converters were able to match the front panels of N3000 fridges to the vehicle's interior decor if they so chose, so (on that basis) the panels must have been removable.

(There are plenty of on-line complaints about the decorative door-panel of DOMETIC fridges being 'loose' in the frame that surrounds the panel and of the bottom of the frame falling off and the panel dropping down. But Bob's fridge's problem seems to be unique.)

Hi

Yes Derek it would be very helpful if Bob did. Yes I have made contact though a Motorhome Club forum and some have had issues with door vibration and Auto selection and some with gas issues which was fixed or replaced by their dealers under their 3 year warranty 

Regards