BREAKDOWN INSURANCE - RECOVERY TO WHERE?

DavyS

Green Flag increased my price by 13% last year and now 26% this year, so obviously I am looking around.
It seems that most insurers offer recovery to the nearest garage. But this seems to be far from ideal. Nowadays, when I try to book a service I am often told by the garage that they are booked up for weeks ahead. So what if I broke down hundreds of miles from home, got taken to the nearest garage who are likely to say 'park it round that back and that they will fit me in xx weeks'. I would then have to arrange travel home with essential items from the motorhome, then try to get it fixed over the phone.
It seems that it would be much better if I could be taken to where I live where there is a local garage who who know me and are always willing to help. Could then walk home, get the car and pick up essentials from the motorhome. But it seems that few insurance companies offer to recover you to home. Adrian Flux will, but at an extra annual cost of £65 on their £99 premium.
Any thoughts?
  • Like 1

I have RAC Arrival through the C&CC as this removes the usual size and weight restrictions of the standard RAC cover and also includes recovery to any destination of my choice, even a split journey if I am on my way to a booked campsite. Not as cheap as you have said above but imo better cover.

And make sure to phone as many companies will reduce the price if you haggle!

Keith.

5 minutes ago, Keithl said:

I have RAC Arrival through the C&CC as this removes the usual size and weight restrictions of the standard RAC cover

Thanks Keith, I wonder it that means that if you breakdown and cannot be repaired at the roadside then you will not be looked after by the RAC, but be given over to the nearest garage with a large loader?

7 minutes ago, DavyS said:

Thanks Keith, I wonder it that means that if you breakdown and cannot be repaired at the roadside then you will not be looked after by the RAC, but be given over to the nearest garage with a large loader?

I'm not sure as I've never (touchwood) had to put it to the test. Maybe phone and ask?

Nationwide Flexplus Account and the AA (which Nationwide use) came out best in the Which Report

And they include motorhomes and LGV up to 3.5t in basic cover.

AA were very good to my sister and her mate when they broke down in an old VW campervan in Spain 30 years ago

When I saw the state of it I said the AA will never cover that but they did

Flew them both back, and transported the campervan back, free of charge 

But, as Brian Kirby pointed out, they won't bring the vehicle back if its ok and you have no one able to drive it.

Edited by John52

43 minutes ago, John52 said:

Nationwide Flexplus Account and the AA (which Nationwide use) came out best in the Which Report

And they include motorhomes and LGV up to 3.5t in basic cover.

AA were very good to my sister and her mate when they broke down in an old VW campervan in Spain 30 years ago

When I saw the state of it I said the AA will never cover that but they did

Flew them both back, and transported the campervan back, free of charge 

But, as Brian Kirby pointed out, they won't bring the vehicle back if its ok and you have no one able to drive it.

John I think you will find that at present the Nationwide breakdown cover also includes motorhomes over 3.5t.

It is buried in the small print of the policy:- 

2. Weight and size restrictions (including any load carried) We cover vehicles highlighted in section 1 of these vehicle terms and conditions providing that they comply with the limitations and vehicle type, weight and size restrictions, and other conditions as set out below. The trailer, caravan and its load must also comply with the size and weight restrictions below, or unfortunately the AA will be unable to recover your property. • Maximum vehicle weight: 3.5 tonnes (3500kgs) gross vehicle laden weight • Maximum Vehicle Weight for Motorhomes ONLY: 7.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight • Maximum vehicle length: 8m (26.2ft)* • Maximum vehicle width: 2.55m (8ft 3in)* *These dimensions will be calculated taking into account anything attached to your vehicle and any trailer or caravan, including but not limited to towing equipment, any carriers or racks (e.g. bike or luggage), or anything else attached to the vehicle or the carriers/racks.

• Like 1

From the OP - OK all sorted. After much trawling around I found that Saga Motorhome Breakdown insurance had by far the best options. For instance: National Recovery to destination, home or garage within 10 miles of home. Will pay if can be repaired the same day for initial garage diagnosis, labour charges up to £150, sourcing and delivery of parts.
All at a cost of £69.99 pa fixed for 3 years - yippee no phoning around for 3 years! Is with RAC, not sure if that is good or bad!

The other advantage of the Nationwide breakdown policy is that all vehicles registered in the policyholders name are covered plus any vehicle he/she is travelling in is covered. 

For me that means 5 vehicles are covered for in the UK & Europe - Benimar motorhone, Honda Civic, Citroen 2CV, Sachs Madass motorbike, & my daughters car.

Plus of course all the other benefits of the Flex plus policy including a bank account. (£13.00 PCM)

HOWEVER!!! Nationwide are changing the Insurer for Travel/Medical, from UK Insurance Ltd to Aviva with effect from August 2024 and certain restrictions will then ensue. (I intend to join Pension Insurance Corporation PIC at their anniversary date in March, so this will have no effect on me).

Jeremy

To try and answer the OPs question I have been skimming through the Nationwide Policy Document

LINK https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/documents/current-accounts/insurances/flexplus/p4000-flexplus-breakdown-insurance-policy.pdf?rev=a4111e71cbad43199fb9b71d04bc310a

My understanding is that yes they would bring the vehicle back to your home, subject to certain conditions

Like, for example, the market value being more than the cost of bringing it back

9 hours ago, laimeduck said:

The other advantage of the Nationwide breakdown policy is that all vehicles registered in the policyholders name are covered plus any vehicle he/she is travelling in is covered. 

For me that means 5 vehicles are covered for in the UK & Europe - Benimar motorhone, Honda Civic, Citroen 2CV, Sachs Madass motorbike, & my daughters car.

Plus of course all the other benefits of the Flex plus policy including a bank account. (£13.00 PCM)

HOWEVER!!! Nationwide are changing the Insurer for Travel/Medical, from UK Insurance Ltd to Aviva with effect from August 2024 and certain restrictions will then ensue. (I intend to join Pension Insurance Corporation PIC at their anniversary date in March, so this will have no effect on me).

Jeremy

Just to clarify a big error I made on this page ..... I meant NFOP ( National Federation of Pensioners) not PIC who are a Pension provider!

Apologies for the error

Jeremy

On 21/02/2024 at 09:58, DavyS said:
It seems that it would be much better if I could be taken to where I live where there is a local garage who who know me and are always willing to help. Could then walk home, get the car and pick up essentials from the motorhome. But it seems that few insurance companies offer to recover you to home.

Better for you

But not better for them if it can be repaired where you are

So I have been unable to find any who offer recovery back home as the default option. To be fair you can't expect them to.  Otherwise I suppose everyone would want that,and people would abuse it.  Who wouldn't want to be carried straight back home instead of being taken to an unknown local garage for an indefinite period. So there are terms and conditions you have to argue with the insurance company.

I have no breakdown insurance so I don't have to argue with an insurance company - I just paid a breakdown service to come out and take the van and me straight back home.  Phoned my insurers LV and they gave me the number of a breakdown service they use.  £700 for 140 miles 3 years ago but no arguments or delay.  And I have saved far more than that by all the years paying no premiums.  I understand you can still call the AA out if you are not a member, and pay them to do what you want - no bother and delay having to go through the insurance.

A friend broke down with Green Flag basic recovery which covers you for IIRC 12 miles towage, (busted tyre and rim with no spare) and just paid the recovery company the extra mileage to be taken back home instead 

Edited by John52

On 22/02/2024 at 09:20, laimeduck said:

..........................HOWEVER!!! Nationwide are changing the Insurer for Travel/Medical, from UK Insurance Ltd to Aviva with effect from August 2024 and certain restrictions will then ensue. (I intend to join Pension Insurance Corporation PIC at their anniversary date in March, so this will have no effect on me).

Jeremy

Forgive the OT, but when/where did you pick this up, Jeremy?

We also have Flex Plus, but have had no notice of the above change from them as yet.  Do you have info on what the restrictions you mention will be?

2 hours ago, Brian Kirby said:

Forgive the OT, but when/where did you pick this up, Jeremy?

We also have Flex Plus, but have had no notice of the above change from them as yet.  Do you have info on what the restrictions you mention will be?

Brian ..... Came through in an e-mail on 17th Feb.

It relates to some upgrades we have for my age at 74 years and for extending the time away from 30 to 45 days. There are no pre-existing Medical Conditions. The opening line is:-

On 28 August 2024, when your current travel upgrade expires with U K Insurance Limited, the provider of your FlexPlus Travel Insurance will change from U K Insurance Limited to Aviva Insurance Limited (Aviva).

The rest of the blurb then goes on to say......

Your standard travel cover will be replaced with your new Aviva policy. Aviva will contact you before your upgrade expires inviting you to purchase a new upgrade with them. For any future pre-existing conditions upgrades, you will need to complete their medical screening. This is so Aviva can offer you the right level of cover.

The details of the new Aviva policy coming in are in these 2 links

https://documents.nationwide.co.uk/2024/02/c5c19d8a0abef09701d330a234bc4472.pdf

https://documents.nationwide.co.uk/2024/02/dd18466fb82af7f407aa0669ad3a1084.pdf

We are going to change to National Federation of Pensioners NFOP after 1st March anyway as I will be able to get Travel insurance with them after I am 75 next year. You have to take out the policy while you are 74 or before.

We have read about the eyewatering amounts people are being asked to pay and the difficulty they have in obtaining cover, so this seems the most sensible thing to do for us.

Jeremy

Thank you very much, Jeremy - especially for the thoughtfully provided links to the AVIVA policy booklet and the NW notification of change to insurer.

One thing I would draw to your attention regarding the latter, is the statement on page 2, under the heading "Summary of policy changes - Upgrades", saying "You will no longer need to buy a separate upgrade to be covered beyond your 70th birthday. You will be covered automatically. (my bold)" and that this applies to the whole policy.  We are both now 80, so that is the first thing I looked for!  🙂  BTW, I explored the AVIVA policy leaflet and the only mention of age I found is in relationship to the age of your golf or skiing equipment, where the pay-outs reduce as each year passes! 

We both had pre-existing medical conditions extensions, plus a 90 days single trip duration extensions (both now lapsed, but with assurance from UK Insurance (who I must say I'd always found very easy and agreeable to deal with) that they could be resurrected when required, so I'm hoping that AVIVA will be similarly flexible.  Following the sale of our van we shan't ned trip durations beyond 31 days so, in the absence of the age restrictions, our only hurdle should be the medical bits.  Fingers crossed, and thanks again!  🙂  

I wonder when NW will get around to notifying the rest of us?  May isn't that far away now.

Further apologies for the further OT. 

I wonder if a kindly administrator might move these last few posts to the Holiday Insurance string, where it more properly fits and would be more likely to be seen by others with related concerns?  I'll ask!  

18 hours ago, Brian Kirby said:

...I wonder if a kindly administrator might move these last few posts to the Holiday Insurance string, where it more properly fits and would be more likely to be seen by others with related concerns?  I'll ask!  

Brian

I'm not sure how practicable that idea is...

As a forum moderator I can do all sorts of things with threads and postings, but I cannot move individual postings (or a group of postings) from one thread to another.

If you identified which postings in this thread you wanted to appear in the Travel Insurance thread, I wondered how easy it would be to copy each of those postings and then paste them into a new posting (of mine) on the Travel Insurance thread, but soon decided that a) it would be a lot of work and b) the result would be a mishmash. A forum administrator MIGHT be able to move postings from one thread to another, but I believe the result would still be unattractive.

The simplest approach is to post within the Travel Insurance thread a link to this one, so that's what I've done.

Thanks Derek.  Yes, I too thought of trying to copy and paste (or similar) the posts into a new post on the Holiday Insurance string, and reached the same conclusion as you.  I'd messaged admin yesterday (so before reading your above) to ask if they could transpose the relevant posts, but see they all remain in place, so assume it ain't possible!

I also posted on the Holiday Insurance string (addressed to tracker, and referencing Jeremy's posts) to direct his attention to this string on the assumption that others might follow.  Thanks again.