motorhome radio

Hi, Has anyone any advise on a radio upgrade please?..i own a bailey autograph 765 and find the radio to be 'poor' if ime honest..it's not DAB and reception isn't too great tbh...i would like to know if anyone has upgraded theirs and any advise which one they chose etc...im'e from west yorkshire so if anyone has knows a good installer that would be appreciated too!..regards...

If the reception is poor changing the radio might not improve matters, this is more likely to be a problem with the aerial. Saying that, in my experience a DAB might in some areas give better reception.

Hi

Have you tried first as Colin suggests try updating the aerial first (dab aerial).This has improved things for many with the same issue of poor reception   . Have a look at all the connections at the rear of your present radio Make sure they are all good first and connected properly before condemning the radio 

Regards

Edited by onecal

The features you want/need are rather personal, and will dictate your choice. Not knowing any of that renders it impossible to give a recommendation.

Be aware, however, that (assuming the implementations are similar to the Fiat) replacing the Factory-fitted radio is/can be rather more complex than that for vehicles delivered to the manufacturer as "open dash" with no radio fitted. This latter is a relatively easy job with lots of choice, the former not so.

The dash fittings are different, and for factory-fitted replacement there are likely to be a number of additional steps required (and interfaces) if the 'van has steering wheel controls, or (as is likely) the radio is integrated with the vehicle Canbus.

I'd suggest you do an initial "toe in the water" with a local, well-regarded installer and take some advice.

(and, as already stated, a check of the existing aerial is worthwhile. For a coachbuilt it is probably in the door mirror, and is an amplified unit - it's not unknown for the power feed to the aerial amp to become detached).

2 hours ago, yorkyram1 said:

Thanks for your advise so far folks...i don't really know what radio to go for so any recommendations from anyone would be welcome....regards...

I haven't had cause to buy a 'car' radio in years as our cars come with them fitted, but here are my observations.

I have a couple of cars with Blaupunkt radios, and these have been very good, they have relatively few and large buttons which make them easy to use whilst on the road, my van however has a Japanese radio with loads of tiny buttons and isn't as easy to use whilst travelling.

Hi

I think the OP needs to check as the radio fitted as it may just be a DAB radio but alas without a DAB aerial I think they have been fitted on the windscreen with a positive feedback regarding reception improvement and sound quality 

Well worth trying first without removing your old radio and Robinhood says it's a little more complex especially with all the extra features one has to deal with now 

We await your reply yorkyram1 maybe a photo of your Radio may help here 

Regards

My Bailey was 2013 and I fitted an Alpine Car Play twin din head unit seamlessly . 
mine was wired but they are wireless connectivity now , transformed the ICE experience. 

Edited by Adiebt

19 minutes ago, stevec176 said:

I've a DAB radio in my van but can hardly ever get a station and if I do after a while driving I lose it so stick with normal stations.

Have you tried a better aerial then Steve?

We have DAB radios in our MH and both daily cars and all get near perfect reception no matter where we are.

I fitted the Sony unit in the MH a couple of years ago and used a Halfords mag mount aerial (similar to this https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/autoleads-magnetic-dab-antenna-575883.html) laid across under the dash so not visible, and it works great. Maybe try plugging in an external aerial and play with location?

It would REALLY help if yorkyram1 confirmed whether the non-DAB radio currently in his Bailey motorhome is indeed the head-unit I spent (wasted?) time providing pictures of above.

This head-unit is widely advertised (secondhand) on-line with a description that it came from a Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato or Citroen Relay/Jumper, so presumably it was OEM-fitted.

Some more photos below

image.jpeg.92a82dbb704d6cc4b9eeeadd2414d46c.jpeg

image.jpeg.09730b9d383c005ae297accd630aef8e.jpeg

image.jpeg.5cd33c70b23b6fe596a2e957c8b6e9f6.jpeg

and even more here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265747025834

As the unit is plainly single-DIN and has a curved upper facia linking it to the dashboard, replacing it 'tidily' with a double-DIN unit would presumably need a kit like this.

image.png.fe53bb3315c44b276c668e495c637d46.png

To be honest Keith it's not really worth the effort or cost. With the road noise the sound isn't the best and we only use it as background noise and we use our own music on memory stick but thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/03/2024 at 08:11, Derek Uzzell said:

It would REALLY help if yorkyram1 confirmed whether the non-DAB radio currently in his Bailey motorhome is indeed the head-unit I spent (wasted?) time providing pictures of above.

This head-unit is widely advertised (secondhand) on-line with a description that it came from a Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato or Citroen Relay/Jumper, so presumably it was OEM-fitted.

Some more photos below

image.jpeg.92a82dbb704d6cc4b9eeeadd2414d46c.jpeg

image.jpeg.09730b9d383c005ae297accd630aef8e.jpeg

image.jpeg.5cd33c70b23b6fe596a2e957c8b6e9f6.jpeg

and even more here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265747025834

As the unit is plainly single-DIN and has a curved upper facia linking it to the dashboard, replacing it 'tidily' with a double-DIN unit would presumably need a kit like this.

image.png.fe53bb3315c44b276c668e495c637d46.png

Sorry Derek ,   ive not been too well since i posted my query...im'e not at all too familiar with radio's and what's what with them either.. i thank you and others for your advise, will maybe just have to take it to someone who specializes in radio's.oo