Ad blue

Pete-B

If I was to change our van for a newer one that needed to have ad Blue added how does this work?

Not knowing anything whatsoever about it, is there a separate pump at the garage, do all garages stock it, does it go in the same tank as the diesel or in a separate one?

Thanks.

It goes in a separate tank with the filler next to the diesel fill cap, Some garages esp those serving trucks sell it on a pump but tbh I buy mine in 10 litre plastic containers from Aldi etc. When the m/h needs topping up a symbol comes up on the dash. In 15,000 miles I've filled up maybe 7 or 8 times

Yes, a separate tank generally filled via a spout from a plastic 5 litre or similar container.

The Adblue is handled by the engine management system, pumping it in varying amounts as needed into a device within the diesel's exhaust system, all self managed automatically with no user involvement.

In my cars's case a filling lasts an estimated 17,000 miles and its tank refilling is done at the annual service for my modest mileages. That vehicle though is very frugal on its Adblue use or has a big tank, some do much shorter mileages per refill. Pressing the right button on the dash displays an estimate of my remaining mileage.

Note, legislation requires the Adblue system to stop the engine if it has inadequate fluid to work, so you need to keep an eye on things till you understand your systems Adblue useage; but it all becomes a non issue, at worse like filling your screen washers if the garage does not. Only there is that not run issue should it run out.

It is becoming readily available every where you might expect vehicle related products, just pricing and container sizes differ, and not all sizes are retailed with a screw on spout. If over filling promptly douse the spilt stuff off the vehicle with plenty of water to be safe. It is a water based product, containing urea as its active component.

My vehicle is Peugeot Boxer based ,but there is no way to check how much is in the holding tank. Having bought the vehicle new last March , I bought a 5lit bottle so I could top up before a Scotland trip. I did 2500 miles but haven’t seen any dashboard warning ,so just add more when I came back. I’ve now done 4500 miles and used most of the 5 lit . I’m still waiting for a warning light.

I only have experience with two vehicles and both have to be filled up very very slowly if not you think it's full and the light comes on again. Easier to do at home but also when you buy it do you not have to check the use by date???? PS It freezes as well.

The vehicle hand-book should enlighten as to capacity. My Ford Transit based van takes about 21 litres, which I've calculated from refills and the distance warning that comes up on the trip recorder, will last about 3,000 miles.

Suggest shopping around for prices, as they will vary greatly, It is sold from pumps at a limited number of fuel stations, and is I've been told much the cheapest.

Generally, it's not a problem, wouldn't be put off a van by having to have it. Benefits are you are polluting less and may pay lower low emission zone taxes.

I got the warning at the start of a 6000km trip. As it was my first time filling AdBlue it was a bit of a mess untill I figured out that Boxer (2.0l engine at least) has a metal flap quite deep inside that the nozzle did not move out of the way so there was a fair amount spilled. The 10 liter canister I got was less than ideal. I've also seen canisters sold without a nozzle so a funnel would be required. I have no idea if truck stop adblue pumps have a longer nozzle, whether it fits in every car or whether it stops automatically like fuel. In any case I'd suggest you take a good look and first do it somewhere where spilling and cleaning won't be a problem. Once you figure it out it's really not much different than topping up any other fluid.

Anyone know when Fiat started using it on Ducato's? Mines a mid 2018 and no sign of an Ad Blue filling point, nor have i had a warning light! I'm assuming no filling point, no Ad Blue.

spirou - 2020-01-31 5:52 AM

I have no idea if truck stop adblue pumps have a longer nozzle,

I have the same 2.0l engine and all the (European) truck stop Adblue pumps have had nozzles that push the metal flap out of the way and stop automatically when full. I have only tried filling via a container once and at least a third of it ended up on the floor : (

rael - 2020-01-30 6:08 PM

Anyone know when Fiat started using it on Ducato's? Mines a mid 2018 and no sign of an Ad Blue filling point, nor have i had a warning light! I'm assuming no filling point, no Ad Blue.

The Fiat Ducato that uses adblue was to my knowledge released in 2019. There is a new range of engines along with a new fully automatic transmission rather than the AMT. according to my friendly Autotrail dealer the new adblue models (read UK 2020 models) are due here around May . He suggested the delay was caused by Fiat AU slow to approve the new transmission for use here. Maybe "fake news" not sure as I have not read of any issues with the new engine or transmission.. cheers,

If the change to the Euro 6 AdBlue engine was coincident with the adoption of the Fiat assembled ZF 9HP autobox, then on the CMC's forum one contributor spoke of having a run out with one on the 4th January last. The inference from that is they are here now?

Discussions> Information & Technical>motorhomes>New Fiat 9-speed Auto.

rael - 2020-01-30 7:08 PM

No AdBlue filling-point means no AdBlue tank.

This February 2019 forum thread refers

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Adblue-coming-to-Fiat-Ducato/51240/

For Ducato-based dieslel-fuelled motorhomes AdBlue should only be needed for 2020 model-year vehicles with powerplants conforming to a Euro 6d emissions standard. This means Ducatos manufactured from mid-2019 onwards. The motors are described here

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/engines

AdBlue filling funnels are marketed that avoid spillage and indicate when the AdBlue tank is full - examples here

https://tinyurl.com/ug9sl7v

and there’s YouTube advice here

https://tinyurl.com/saj3vwj

I would add a word of caution to Transit owners, the catch that holds the Adblue cover closed is rubbish, my wife opened the passenger door last week and the cover was open, which in turn popped part of the bodywork out, I have since taped up the cover with masking tape on the inside

Regards

Andy

I now purchase 200ltr barrels at around 32p per ltr.

A nice pump was supplied foc.

I then use a watering can and a funnel with a fine gauze.

I always find small particles in the gauze.

It’s not the watering can.

I have used a milk bottle with the same results.

It’s recommended to always totally refill and not a partial fill.

This causes faults. Ie. You have 400 miles and will not restart.

It did clear after a few days and a trip to the Ford Garage.

Worth a mention when traveling to Germany.

Adblu is .17 cents in Brussels.

Next time we go to the Düsseldorf MH show I’ll fill the Mh tank and maybe a 20ltr can.

There’s a useful AdBlue-related leaflet here

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/AdBluebooklet.pdf

For motorhome owners whose vehicle covers only a low annual mileage, it’s perhaps worth noting the advice on Page 25 about AdBlue’s shelf life.

• Store the AdBlue between -6°C and 25°C in a closed container to maintain minimum shelf life of 18 months. Shelf life is reduced to approximately 6 months in a vented container.

Den - 2020-01-31 3:47 PM

"It’s recommended to always totally refill and not a partial fill."

That is good news about the 200l container, but is the Adblu lifed? Also on our 3ltr Iveco, the recommendation is only to fill to 80% and not to fully fill it, with a capacity of 20ltrs full. Generally around 50cents a litre in Spain, but Germany cheaper, so the 200l could be a good buy if it doesn't go off! (lol)

jumpstart - 2020-02-01 11:18 AM

Adblue sitting in a half filled tank over a couple of months in say winter must be the same as sitting in a half filled containr. When the vehicle is dormant how long before the injector clogs up with crystalised liquid.

AdBlue is introduced into the exhaust fumes to breakdown the Nox gas into nitrogen and water vapour so thankfully will not go near the diesel injectors.

BruceM - 2020-02-01 2:30 PM

Adblue sitting in a half filled tank over a couple of months in say winter must be the same as sitting in a half filled containr. When the vehicle is dormant how long before the injector clogs up with crystalised liquid.

AdBlue is introduced into the exhaust fumes to breakdown the Nox gas into nitrogen and water vapour so thankfully will not go near the diesel injectors.

Quite right it is no where near the diesel fuel injectors or their delivery system, but it has to injected into the SCR.

It brings the point, that an SCR AdBlue diesel should be used rather than left stored, even more so now with the AdBlue. I have that horrible feeling that in MH that typically have low usage compared the the base vehicles intended target user, things don't look ideal.

Ocsid - 2020-02-01 4:42 PM

BruceM - 2020-02-01 2:30 PM

Quite right it is no where near the diesel fuel injectors or their delivery system, but it has to injected into the SCR.

It brings the point, that an SCR AdBlue diesel should be used rather than left stored, even more so now with the AdBlue. I have that horrible feeling that in MH that typically have low usage compared the the base vehicles intended target user, things don't look ideal.

No Definitely not ideal, as that is EXACTLY how most Motorhomes are used.Dont they Test these things in ALL conditions any more ? I can see a lot a lot of broken down Motorhomes being down to 'Stale Adblue' how do they manage with large Adblue tanks that last thousands of miles ? can the tanks be easily drained down, to be refilled with fresh Adblue ?

I believe that AdBlue has a shelf life of around 18 months in a sealed container but only 6 to 12 months in a vented container.

Note that the tank on your MH will be considered a vented container as it has a breather to allow for fluid use.

Keith.

Edit. From Hafords advice leaflet:

"Store the AdBlue between -6°C and 25°C in a closed container to maintain minimum shelf life of 18 months.

Shelf life is reduced to approximately 6 months in a vented container."

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/AdBluebooklet.pdf

Archived