South through Rouen

hallii

Now Rouen has a ZCR zone and a Critair sticker is needed can we still drive through on the usual route south or what? There seems to be little information on where the actual zone is. I have applied for a Critair sticker and some of the questions on the French government site do not make sense to an Engishman. I may have to pay 8-) the toll charge and use the mway. Anybody driven through Rouen recently?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did last week, or rather I took my normal route south. Down the non toll A28, over Pont Mathilde and down onto the D18E which led to the A13.

On the way back came up from Pont de l'Arche on the D6015 and onto the A28 going north.

I did not see any prohibition signs with the remark "Zones à Circulation Restreinte" (Restricted Zone). https://www.green-zones.eu/en/low-emission-zones/france/rouen

Currently the zone only applies to Light Commercial Vehicles (LCVs) and Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) belonging to legal persons (companies, companies, associations, communities), The ZFE-m will extend on September 1, 2022 to all vehicles including those of individuals (scooter, motorcycle, motorized tricycle, car without a license, car, light utility, heavy goods vehicle, bus, coach, etc.) in order to eliminate exceedances of pollutant thresholds caused by road traffic.

Except for specific derogations, traffic and parking in the area will no longer be possible for vehicles with a Crit'Air 4 or 5 or "unclassified" sticker,

https://www.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/zone-faibles-emissions-mobilite

I found it incredibly easy to get my Crit Air 2 screen disc. It was a simple application plus a pdf of the first inside page of the V5c.

I don't think it needs to be too complicated as for foreign registered vehicle it appears it is the date of original registration that matters.

rayc - 2022-08-03 9:16 PM

September 1, 2022 to all vehicles including those of individuals (scooter, motorcycle, motorized tricycle, car without a license, car, light utility, heavy goods vehicle, bus, coach, etc.) in order to eliminate exceedances of pollutant thresholds caused by road traffic.

Except for specific derogations, traffic and parking in the area will no longer be possible for vehicles with a Crit'Air 4 or 5 or "unclassified" sticker,

If the OP has the 2007 van, then it won't be 3 or under, our 2011 van came in at 3, but that was a 'mistake' by French was they rated it on age only, really it should be 4.

I haven't looked specifically at your route but I would imagine that the LEZ is not part of it? It is really only the centre of Rouen that is affected?

The details and a map of the Rouen LEZ can be found in this link.

https://jeparticipe.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/concertation-publique/rouen-zone-faibles-emissions-mobilite-etendue

I travelled through Rouen from Abbeville on May 31st on our way towards Le Mans and used the A28 N28 then A13 to get through. We only paid toll for 1 junction on the A13, because I missed a turn off! After that we used N and D roads.

Thanks all, it seems I can carry on down my normal route without worrying. I should have my Critair sticker back before I go, no idea what number I will get. I will wait and see. I dont often go into city centres anyway, I will just go down my normal no motorways route to my private field with cabin etc. and vegetate for a few weeks. :-)

Don't know your eventual destination, but why not go round Rouen? It's seldom quick to traverse, so a few extra miles on good roads won't add that much time.

North of Rouen take A29 towards Yvetot and left onto the D131E Yvetot bypass and then left again onto D131/D490 to the Pont de Brotonne across the Seine and pick up your route.

Alternatively, leave A28 at Junc. 10 (Les Hayons, just south of Saint-Saens), turn left onto D38/D41 to Buchy and Le Chef de l'Eau, where continue on D46 to Heronchelles and Le Heron, then D13 Vascoeuil, D 501/D1/D149 to Fleury-sur-Andelle, then D6014/D1 to Les Andelys, and left (south) onto D313 from which, if heading west, D135 across the Seine, or continue south in D313/D316 to cross the Seine at Courcelles-sur-Seine, or carry on along D313 to Vernon, and cross the Seine there.

It (mostly) the pretty route! :-D

witzend - 2022-08-04 9:47 AM

colin - 2022-08-03 9:31 PM

If the OP has the 2007 van, then it won't be 3 or under,

Our 2007 van 2.2 fiat was classed at 3

My mistake, we were given a yellow 2 on a euro4 2011 van when ot should have been green 3.

This thread has me a little confused, so help needed. Please!!!

We have an Adria on a 2016 Fiat Ducato; I have a CRIT Air, Air Quality Certificate for yellow class 2.

Our normal route south around Rouen is to journey to the end of the N28 under the tunnel and turn left onto the D 6015 following to the east of the Seine, passing through Lescure, La Poterie until we get to Le Port Saint-Ouen. We follow the D 6015 until we get to Pont-de-l'Arche where we cross the Seine.

My question will we still be legal to use this route??

If you go to Jeremy's post above with the link to the actual order (in French) and if necessary get the translation, I think the answer is that you are legal. If you don't have the translation facility, and cutting out the waffle, the order says two significant things.

First, regarding vehicles and dates, it states (Google Translate): "As of 1 July 2022, the objective is to apply the EPZ-m to all vehicles (two-wheelers, tricycles, motor quadricycles, mopeds and motorcycles, cars, light commercial vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches)."

Second, on emissions requirements for the above vehicles/dates, it states: "Access, traffic and parking in the extended area will be allowed to vehicles with a green Crit'Air sticker or 1 or 2 or 3."

So, as your Crit'Air is 2 (yellow) your van is legal within the zone.

As I read the maps you will enter the zone as the A28 becomes the N28 (about 4 miles NE of Rouen centre), and will leave it on the D6015 as you leave Amfreville-la-Mi-Voie on the east bank of the Seine (probably at the second roundabout, about 3.3 miles from the end of the N28).

Our van is also 2 (yellow) and, on the above basis, we'll be going that way later this year (except we'll take the D18 down the west bank of the Seine from the end of the N28 - where the zone extends down to the D18/D418 junction on the southern boundary of St-Etienne-du-Rouvray).

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Brian Kirby said:

Don't know your eventual destination, but why not go round Rouen? It's seldom quick to traverse, so a few extra miles on good roads won't add that much time.

North of Rouen take A29 towards Yvetot and left onto the D131E Yvetot bypass and then left again onto D131/D490 to the Pont de Brotonne across the Seine and pick up your route.

Alternatively, leave A28 at Junc. 10 (Les Hayons, just south of Saint-Saens), turn left onto D38/D41 to Buchy and Le Chef de l'Eau, where continue on D46 to Heronchelles and Le Heron, then D13 Vascoeuil, D 501/D1/D149 to Fleury-sur-Andelle, then D6014/D1 to Les Andelys, and left (south) onto D313 from which, if heading west, D135 across the Seine, or continue south in D313/D316 to cross the Seine at Courcelles-sur-Seine, or carry on along D313 to Vernon, and cross the Seine there.

It (mostly) the pretty route! 😄

Thanks for that Brian! 

I Google mapped a couple of other alternatives - since I've never driven them, I can't be sure how viable they are. IOW - YMMV! 

I calculated an eastern bypass route from the A28 to Pont de l'Arche that Google Maps says is only 6 minutes longer than going through Rouen: Exit the A28 at exit 12 (Le Moulin d'Ecalies);
Take 928 to D15-D85 to D7 through Saint-Jacques sur Darnétal;
Then D91 through Boos (Rue des Canadiens!https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t68/3/16/1f1e8_1f1e6.png) right by the airport;
Then D95-D13-D6015 to Igoville and Pont de l'Arche (Frank in Toronto}

OR: exit the A28 right where it ends at Exit 13 then 928 - D47- D91 to Saint-Jacques sur Darnétal ;the rest the same to Pont de l'Arche.

39 minutes ago, thebishbus said:

Subject to any changes. The clean air zone is inside the main ring road. The ring road and outside roads are crit air free, so you can use any of the outside roads.

Brian B.

i wish I could find a decent map showing where the ring road is.

we normally come down the A28 through the tunnel a few 100 mts then turn of onto the airport road, under a bridge keeping left at tyhe lights turn left then immeadiatly right along the Eside of the river eventually back onto the motorway heading S

41 minutes ago, teccer1234 said:

i wish I could find a decent map showing where the ring road is.

we normally come down the A28 through the tunnel a few 100 mts then turn of onto the airport road, under a bridge keeping left at tyhe lights turn left then immeadiatly right along the Eside of the river eventually back onto the motorway heading S

this is the route we normally take, NO crit'air sticker, can we do it again?

red line on map.

rouen 1.JPG

4 hours ago, thebishbus said:

Subject to any changes. The clean air zone is inside the main ring road. The ring road and outside roads are crit air free, so you can use any of the outside roads.

Brian B.

This does not appear to be the case. At this link you will find the ZFE map: 

https://www.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/zone-faibles-emissions-mobilite .

Note there are no exempted through routes. The only exemptions are a few short routes to P+R lots. 

Furthermore :

From https://www.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/.../ZFEm_en....

"All roads, open to general traffic (including national roads), are included

in the perimeter. Thus, the following channels are also affected by the ZFE-m:

At 150

RD18E – Industrial Boulevard

DR 6014

RD43 – Bypass of Bois-Guillaume

Flaubert Bridge

Matilda Bridge

RD 6015

RN 338/South Way III

R N 28

RN 31"

Yesterday  I sent an enquiry to the City of Rouen regarding the ZFE rules that came into effect September 1. We have a 2001 Hymer B654 Crit d'Air 4.The city of Rouen map does not show the exempt routes that the Green Zone App shows. Nor does it state a motorhome derogation as claimed in this article : ( https://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/.../zfe-des.../208058). I've asked Rouen about exempt routes and about a motorhome exemption. I'll post here if I get a response from Rouen.

38 minutes ago, teccer1234 said:

OK so can anybody let me know how to drive from calais to Perpignan without a crit'air sticker away from the crit'air zones otherwise it looks like I'll have to go  by ferry direct to spain, 30hours*******

Plenty of options, especially if you don't mind tolls. 

Start here:

https://about-france.com/driving.htm?fbclid=IwAR0oNxDZ5mgVgLR1xBJ3XN2sftj5PIHwUxA8UK81Fb-ot85FkpkiXckosR8

4 hours ago, JeffersonCampervan said:

You should get a crit d'Air sticker anyway. 

I did mention that I have NO crit'air sticker as my hymer 694B was first registered in 2000, so sticker not available for me.

I am used to driving in France as I have been driving down for the last 26 winters via motorways pre brexit/covid so all the info I've just read from your last post I know about, what I wanted was a decent route through France away from the crit'air zones as not knowing where they all are, I expect there are many more towns that have zones.

we used to go over the milau bridge but at £30+ now we travel rouen/vierzion/limoges/toulouse/perpignon/spain, mostly motorways where we can

I expect there will be restrictions there as well.

Archived