South through Rouen

hallii

There is no contact email address - it is necessary to use the method described by Jefferson.

(I have had an email acknowledgement, but that is the 'no reply' type.)

I'm not going to provide my French text, as UK motor caravanners bombarding the Rouen authorities at this point with look-alike enquiries is most unlikely to be productive.

GOOGLE-Translate should provide a reasonable French-language version of my English-language text if you really want to follow this up yourself, but I believe it's better to be patient for a while to see if Jefferson or I get a response. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I shall be off in a weeks' time NH-Diepppe. Will travel usual route through Rouen unless clearly sign posted and sensible to make a detour rather than risk a Class ? €135 penalty. 

Bearing in mind the cost of diesel though it might be more economical to risk the fine rather than the extra fuel required for the inevitable extra mileage!

39 minutes ago, simians said:

Well I shall be off in a weeks' time NH-Diepppe. Will travel usual route through Rouen unless clearly sign posted and sensible to make a detour rather than risk a Class ? €135 penalty. 

Bearing in mind the cost of diesel though it might be more economical to risk the fine rather than the extra fuel required for the inevitable extra mileage!

It appears that the authorities have asked the police to only issue warnings, not fines, until March 2023. Although I don't think that's something I would rely on. I'll be going through in 3 weeks. Please post your experience. Hopefully I'll hear back from Rouen ZFE before I leave. 

I've Google mapped an alternate route just to the east on 2 lane roads from the A28 through Préaux past the airport to Pont-de-l'Arche that adds no kms and adds only 12 minutes in time. I may try it anyway, since you can easily lose 12 minutes in Rouen traffic. I'm coming from Amsterdam so the effect of a detour may differ from those of you who are coming from the UK. 

19 minutes ago, JeffersonCampervan said:

Please post your experience. 

I came from Pont-de-l'Arche to join the A28 to Calais two weeks ago. There were signs at the start of the zone on the A6015 showing the screen stickers that complied. Never saw any Police or Gendarmes.

7 minutes ago, webby1 said:

I'll hold off and wait till somebody gets a reply from Rouen.We might hear more after people have driven through.

Coming from Dieppe there seems to be a good detour around via Yvetot and Pont de Brotonne onto the A13

And the great aire at La Mailleraye sur Siene between Pont de Brotonne and  the A13

4 hours ago, JeffersonCampervan said:

It appears that the authorities have asked the police to only issue warnings, not fines, until March 2023. Although I don't think that's something I would rely on. I'll be going through in 3 weeks. Please post your experience. Hopefully I'll hear back from Rouen ZFE before I leave. 

I've Google mapped an alternate route just to the east on 2 lane roads from the A28 through Préaux past the airport to Pont-de-l'Arche that adds no kms and adds only 12 minutes in time. I may try it anyway, since you can easily lose 12 minutes in Rouen traffic. I'm coming from Amsterdam so the effect of a detour may differ from those of you who are coming from the UK. 

I'll actually be crossing 29th Nov. must have been wishful thinking when I wrote 'a weeks time' ! But I'll certainly post on the experience. 

If incontrovertible evidence pops up somewhere on the forums confirming that the usual routes through Rouen are now verboten, then of course I'll find an alternative. Not so long ago I occasionally traversed through the very centre of Rouen definitely more picturesque than the railway sidings. Those were the days! 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the small town likes of Pont de l'Arche being off limits one day, situated as it is in the town centre.

4 hours ago, webby1 said:

I'll hold off and wait till somebody gets a reply from Rouen.We might hear more after people have driven through.

Coming from Dieppe there seems to be a good detour around via Yvetot and Pont de Brotonne onto the A13

I have used that route once or twice in the dim past but instead of heading for the A13 I connected with the D438 southbound for the aire at Broglie. Means missing out on Pont de l'Arche aire, but I may well forgo that pleasure but on the other hand gives Rouen a miss.

19 hours ago, simians said:

I have used that route once or twice in the dim past but instead of heading for the A13 I connected with the D438 southbound for the aire at Broglie. Means missing out on Pont de l'Arche aire, but I may well forgo that pleasure but on the other hand gives Rouen a miss.

is the A13 not inside the zone? if not it appears to be a better way to go from Yvetot then south from there

1 hour ago, teccer1234 said:

is the A13 not inside the zone? if not it appears to be a better way to go from Yvetot then south from there

It appears that the A13 transits south of the zone passing well clear. I avoid tolled motorways when practical, So crossing the A13 and joining the D438 at Grand-Bourgtheroulde puts me on the route I most often use when heading to Spain via Bordeaux and the Somport., even if the trip originates at Calais. 

1 hour ago, simians said:

It appears that the A13 transits south of the zone passing well clear. I avoid tolled motorways when practical, So crossing the A13 and joining the D438 at Grand-Bourgtheroulde puts me on the route I most often use when heading to Spain via Bordeaux and the Somport., even if the trip originates at Calais. 

we normally go through Rouen on the east side of the river then onto the A 13 at junction 21 then turn off onto the N 154 then right down to Tolouse avoiding the Millau bridge(price last time we went over the bridge it cost over 30 euros). we do use the motorways where possible, at my age it's worth it.

if we're not allowed to go through Rouen I think we'll be avoiding it via Yvetot

31 minutes ago, teccer1234 said:

if we're not allowed to go through Rouen I think we'll be avoiding it via Yvetot

From Dieppe and taking the Yvetot - Pont de Brotonne zone-avoidance route does add a bit of mileage, but as there's no further Seine bridge until the Gustav Flaubert (which is likely to be within the zone) there's no viable alternative AFAIK, unless you get lucky and pick up a very large abandoned inflatable somewhere in the vicinity of la Manche 😃

The Yvetot route is the way to go then. Down to the A13 and from then........well the route depends on where you are actually going.

We have always taken the A71/A75 route South with a stopover at Millau. I suppose we never spent any money in Rouen so I don't suppose they'll miss us.

But the smaller/roundabout routes will be a lot busier with heavy traffic.

1 hour ago, webby1 said:

The Yvetot route is the way to go then. Down to the A13 and from then........well the route depends on where you are actually going.

We have always taken the A71/A75 route South with a stopover at Millau. I suppose we never spent any money in Rouen so I don't suppose they'll miss us.

But the smaller/roundabout routes will be a lot busier with heavy traffic.

we used to go that way but when they put the price on the millau bridge up from 9eu to 34 eu we decided to try a different route Rouen/N154/Evreux/Toulouse/Perpignan, all motorway where possible, it was 20kl longer but a lot cheaper, and all roads were good, only remember one town with quite a few roundabouts and a few in the countryside but never had any holdups and hardly and difference in time,

the Millau route was a pain (we went that way about 20 times before we changed routes) going over the Massif Central, even in October we've had snow going over there, up/down/up/down/up/down it appeared to go on forever

Something I now (and others) have to factor in is the time of year I'm actually now having to travel in. Pre the 90/180 era I would have been in the sunshine as of today. France is partially enforcing the "snow chain" regs. this winter, effectively this requires you to carry the clanking rust magnets or alternatives such as 4 seasons tyres, studded tyres, approved snowsocks etc. within the period 1st Nov. to 31st March? Apparently a period of grace this season will get you a ticking off/lecture if you are sans the snow equipment. The departments/municipalities in the affected mountainous areas will be selecting the roads as they see fit. 

Rather than chains I've bought approved Autosocks, the Gendarmerie/fuzz are not going to look too kindly on the burke not carrying snow grippers of some description blocking the road particularly this year.

Chains or no a major detour might be required if there's a major snowfall, and a snow plough clearance may take more time than someone might be prepared to wait., in my case the Somport may be blocked, plan B would be a sharp right to Irun.

Caveat: I'm relying on dodgy memory on the above details so best to double check.

Simians

I think I gave these details in this link in the "Winter route through Spain" in the last entry.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/55053-winter-route-through-spain/page/2/

and I quoted this site which gives the detail of the requirement for tyres/chains etc from the French Government

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14389

Jeremy

Yes just noted,  & even though strictly off topic I suppose no harm in a reminder for those like myself missed (or forgotten) your post.

Additionally brought to mind another imposition the sodding seasonal aspect down to B****T as far as it negatively affects me😬

On 8/3/2022 at 10:31 PM, colin said:

If the OP has the 2007 van, then it won't be 3 or under, our 2011 van came in at 3, but that was a 'mistake' by French was they rated it on age only, really it should be 4.

My motorhome was also first registered in 2011 and has a Euro 5 engine but like you I only received a category 3 sticker. My V5 does state the engine is Euro 5 but there are no CO2 emissions stated. It seems they are taking little notice of what the V5 says and issuing stickers purely on the van's age because in theory with a Euro 5 engine I should have received a category 2 sticker.

I only applied for the sticker just in case I accidently strayed into a LEZ but looking at the zones identified in the Green-zone App as long as you have a category 3, 2, 1 or E you are unlikely to encounter any problems, at least for the time being. Therefore I see little point in challenging the classification.

peedee

As mentioned earlier the Green Zones app made a big mistake showing free corridors through Rouen.

I agree it's unlikely to be a problem for newer vans but I would double check their LEZ area maps to be sure.

So now it's snow chains to be worried about 🤔

On 11/17/2022 at 12:32 PM, laimeduck said:

Simians

I think I gave these details in this link in the "Winter route through Spain" in the last entry.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/55053-winter-route-through-spain/page/2/

and I quoted this site which gives the detail of the requirement for tyres/chains etc from the French Government

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14389

Jeremy

However, if you follow this link https://tinyurl.com/ygval3u3 you will get to another French Government web-page that gives greater detail on the areas affected by the new law.  If you scroll down to the section entitled "Zoom par massif montagneux (En bleu foncé : obligation totale - En bleu clair, obligation partielle)", and then, within that, scroll down to section 4 "Carte Pyrenees des equipments hivernaux" and click on that heading, you will get a downloadable blow-up of the actual areas concerned, from which, it seems to me, that at least (though I'm pretty sure all other roads in the white areas) the coastal routes via the A68 behind Biarritz, and the A9 behind Perpignan, and not subject to the Loi Montagne.

I haven't checked further, and it seems to me sensible to carry winter driving equipment if driving in winter (also noting that "winter tyres" are still acceptable in lieu until 2024) but, if you really object to carrying the equipment, and especially if your van has at least M+S marked tyres, you may wish to check further whether not actually carrying chains or socks in the areas shown in white is subject to penalty.

4 hours ago, peedee said:

My motorhome was also first registered in 2011 and has a Euro 5 engine but like you I only received a category 3 sticker. My V5 does state the engine is Euro 5 but there are no CO2 emissions stated. It seems they are taking little notice of what the V5 says and issuing stickers purely on the van's age because in theory with a Euro 5 engine I should have received a category 2 sticker.

I did corect my post to say we have a 2

I have now received a reply from the Rouen ZFE team and I've attached a copy of their email below.

GOOGLE translates this as follows:

Sir,

By message left on the Métropole Rouen Normandie website, you wanted to know if you were authorized to drive in the ZFE-m of Rouen with your motorhome registered in England.

We confirm that motorhomes are authorized to circulate in the ZFE-m, until 2024, although your registration certificate does not contain the same information as French registration certificates.

In addition, vehicles registered in a foreign country are allowed to circulate in France, under the regime of the international conventions in force, keeping their number and their license plate, when the owner of the vehicle resides abroad. They must also wear the distinctive emblem of their country of origin in a visible manner on the back (art.11 decree of July 1, 1996).

Please accept, Sir, the expression of our best regards.

The ZFE-m Team

My enquiry about 'heavy' motorhomes wasn't addressed, but the inference seems to be that all foreign-registered motorhomes (irrespective of their gross weight) are authorized to be driven within the Rouen ZFE until 2024.

image.png

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

I have now received a reply from the Rouen ZFE team and I've attached a copy of their email below.

GOOGLE translates this as follows:

Sir,

By message left on the Métropole Rouen Normandie website, you wanted to know if you were authorized to drive in the ZFE-m of Rouen with your motorhome registered in England.

We confirm that motorhomes are authorized to circulate in the ZFE-m, until 2024, although your registration certificate does not contain the same information as French registration certificates.

In addition, vehicles registered in a foreign country are allowed to circulate in France, under the regime of the international conventions in force, keeping their number and their license plate, when the owner of the vehicle resides abroad. They must also wear the distinctive emblem of their country of origin in a visible manner on the back (art.11 decree of July 1, 1996).

Please accept, Sir, the expression of our best regards.

The ZFE-m Team

My enquiry about 'heavy' motorhomes wasn't addressed, but the inference seems to be that all foreign-registered motorhomes (irrespective of their gross weight) are authorized to be driven within the Rouen ZFE until 2024.

image.png

well done now I know I can go through Rouen on my normal route on the east side of the river,

many thanks for your effort including  JeffersonCampervan , I'll print off the reply in French to take with me just in case,

Archived