Cushings disease - anyone got a dog with it?

Mel B

Update: Hairy monster has been to the vet again today for another (3rd) lot of blood tests. He's had 2 lots of tests: one for his liver enzymes and the other for his Cushings medication.

His 2 earlier (last year) lots of liver enzyme tests showed that they were nearly off the scale at over 1000, for his liver test today his enzymes have come down to 800, not great but at least they are now going in the right direction (should be around 200/250). :-D

We've just got to wait to get the result of the Cushings medication tests they did today, last time it showed it was working very well and had excellent control of his Cushings, hopefully when we get the results back next week it'll be the same again. :-|

He's pottering a little bit more although his feet are still 'uncomfortable', even with a good soak and shampoo/clean every night (up to an hour!), we're managing to keep the fungal infection at bay with some miniscule improvement I think, but to add insult to injury the poor little mite now has an ear infection!!! :-(

He's fairly perky though - he actually came to greet us at the front door on Monday when we got in from work, and gave us a nice wag of his tail, something he hasn't done for months! :-> I just wish this blasted cold weather would disappear so I could take him out more for some fresh air i his buggy. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr *-)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard from the Vet tonight, they've got his Cushings blood test results back early. It's still controlling it excellently! Great news. :->

Next lot of tests in 2/3 months time assuming he keeps as well as he is currently.

Thats good news then Mel at least one is under control.

Dex been at vets this week as we found another lump, so I took him wed for his op, asked the vet to check a wart that had changed shape, when we went to collect him later vet had removed wart and found another lump under it so removed that as well, and the lump he went in for originally, so bits missing out of front left elbow, and rear right foot, poor bugger didnt know which side to lie on when he came home. Was feeling very sorry for himself yesterday bit brighter today, just waiting lab results now check these are not nasty ones like last years, fingers crossed

Poor Dexter, your lovely chap doesn't deserve to be having such problems. I do hope they are just plain old fatty/age lumps and nothing more. Give him a cuddle from me won't you. :-|

I can appreciate how uncomfortable Dex must be - we had a cross alsation who had to have her dew claws removed as they stuck out and she was always catching them on something, the last time she did this whilst still a young dog one got badly infected and swollen so they had to come off otherwise she was just going to be suffering as she didn't seem to learn to take things a bit easier and not hurl herself about all the time! When we got the poor thing home (we had to carry her) and put her on the couch, she tried to get off and fell into a crumpled heap on the floor as she coulnd't bear to stand on her front legs. :-(

Dogs ... really are part of the family ain't they! :D

Jacqui/Dave ... how's Dexter doing? Everything okay I hope. :-)

Midge isn't quite as well at the moment, he's a bit more lethargic and seems to be getting some more of the fungal blackening back around his muzzle and on his pads. :-(

He's finished his course of Antirobe now and is back on his original antibiotics as we're not sure if it was the Antirobe being not as effective that has caused this set-back. :-| If so, hopefully he'll pick up again by next week.*-)

His nightly washes are causing havoc with my hands and nails ... most of my nails have gone 'soft' and split off - unfortunately I can't wear rubber gloves as I can't clean his feet properly with them on .. I've still got a couple of 'nails left fortunately so am guarding them well!!! :D

Although I haven't written a post on this thread for ages I have been reading it and full of sympathy for you but glad to read that there is some improvement. As I wrote earlier I had a dog which suffered from this disease but her symptoms were nothing like your descriptions.

I took my dog for her boosters yesterday and the vet was worried about the condition of her fur. She is moulting badly and is getting quite bald on her lower back. I asked him if she needed a supplement and he said no but keep an eye on her as he suspects cushings. Devastating news! I just hope he is wrong and that her fur grows back on normally.

Hi Mel

Dex is ok, he loved the extra cuddles, we are still not letting him bounce round like his old self, but he is healing ok, vet was pleased how well he was healing, but Dex was grumpy and unimpressed being back at vets so snapped at him, His results will be back next week, we are hopeful they are fatty lumps, the vet says they came away cleanly again so even if they are nasty he shouldn't need anyother treatment, just keep an eye out for more.

Sorry to hear midge is not to good at the mo, he needs extra cuddles as well, try a good barrier cream on your hands before and after bathing him Mel it should help, E45 is a good one that is not too expensive

Jacqui - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Dex. Good idea about the barrier cream, I'll give it a go ... lost my 2 remaining long nails now though, they're just stumpy! :-(

Patricia ... I'm so sorry to hear of your dog's problem, I do hope it's not Cushings, there can be a lot of things that cause hair loss and I hope its one of the easier ones to treat and cure.

Took Midge the Squidge out in his buggy again today, onto the field and then got him out, he had a really good potter ... chasing the buggy! :D He's still got all his black fungus/yeast etc but at least he was able to walk a bit further than before, even though he's still hobling - not sure if it was because it was a lot milder today or if he is generally feeling a bit better ... Apparently it generally can take as many months as his age in years before we get a handle on it ... as he's nine, that means it could be another 6 months yet ........ :-| So long as he's still got the chance of a good quality of life and isn't suffering (although he does get fed up and obviously has some discomfort but nothing major) we'll keep fighting for him. Somehow I think we'll be glad we've got a motorhome with a garage for his buggy and bath! *-)

Haven't been on the forum for a couple of days, too kn*ckered! I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the moment. :-|

Midge has got a load of his fungus/yeast infection back, more than ever so he went back on the Antirobe a few days ago so we'll see if that helps - his nose was nearly clear a while back and now it's all back with a vengence. :-(

He's keeps having really good 'moaning' sessions in the night now - around 1.00 pm and then again about 3-4 hours later, really loud and persistent (hence why I'm kn*ackered!). He's wide awake and not in pain, I think he's just totally fed up and I can't say I blame him, it sounds so awful and all we can do is cuddle him and calm him down as he gets himself in a right old tiz. *-)

But he's still eating well and enjoying his food and if he thinks we're going out without him, such as in the car on a weekend, he soon makes it plain that he wants to come too! We went out with the dogs for a potter this morning and took the squidge with us - he had a really, really, good potter around, walked about 100 yards each way, also had a snuffle around and 'duffed' up the long grass for ages taking his frustrations out on it I think! When we got back home he the proceeded to have a 'punch-up' with his beanbag dog bed!

I'm just getting myself psyched up for his nightly soak in the baby-bath and foot picking hour! I think I'll get some ear-plugs though, as by heck does he wail and protest ... and it's surprising how strong the little horror is too! :-S

Oh well ... can't put it off any longer ...

Regards ... little Miss No-Nails Stumpy Fingers!

Hi Mel

Well I hope my advice and the Antirobe were not the cause of Mitch's relapse. Certainly the Antirobe worked miracles for Bertie, lets hope it works this time for Mitch.

Bertie has really gone downhill in the last 4weeks or so, not because of the Cushings but just old age (15+) I'm afraid. Keep checking during night to make sure he is still with us but he has had downhill lapses before and come out of them so with spring on the way and fingers and everything else crossed, lets hope!!

Mel

sorry to hear that things have taken a backward step, wish there was something positive to say for you to try to make things all ok, but all I can say is midge is getting the best care a dog could want with you perservering with the nightly treatments, dont suppose all this damp weather helps him either, nice bit of warm weather to help dry everything up will be just the ticket.

Until then its more of the same to help him, fingers crossed for good news, try to keep smiling,

Jacqui

Wanderer ... good luck with Bertie, I hope he rallies, our older dog went through this sort of thing several times before we finally lost her, around 18 months later (over 17 years old).

Took Midge out for another potter on the field today as it was a bit milder here, he had a good walk to the end and back again and gave the tall grass a good old duffing up again.

We were at the vets tonight with Romy for her rabies jab and took Midge along for them to check him out. His ear infection has gone and his temperature is normal which is good as he does seem to get very hot at times so at least there's nothing to worry about there, but he is still getting more blotchy with the yeast/fungal infections. The vet has prescribed some drops that are usually used for ears but can be used on isolated spots of fungal infections so we're hoping this treatment will help clear them up as nothing else seems to be working on them and they are very slowly getting bigger/more of them.

Midge's nose is very slightly better so we're hoping that the Antirobe is starting to kick in again, it's been about a week now since he started them again ... here's hoping ...

Had a chat with the vet about 'quality of life' ... always hate those sorts of chats! He's still eating like a horse, can still potter around, doesn't appear to be in pain and is able to well and truly let us know when he wants something so whilst he's still keeping going we'll keep fighting with him.

Heres hoping that the Antirobe is kicking in again.

We have had the results back from Dex's last lot of lumps and thankfully they are nothing to worry about (lol) . All the lumps he has had removed (9 in total) only two have been the same and they were masala(cancerous), all the others have had different names from the lab, none of which I can Pronounce, let alone spell.....

Just advised to keep an eye on any other lumps that appear, especially on the legs.

Okay Gang ... serious time again.

Midge is getting worse. The yeast infection on his feet is back with a vengence and his nails are now very soft and bending and some are splitting and coming off completely leaving the underneat exposed and sore. He's got more and more of the black stuff on his feet, legs, nose/muzzle, around his eyes, in his ears.

We're at our wits end trying to do what we can. The antibiotics don't seem to be helping and we're in two minds whether to stop them completely as they could actually be adding to the yeast infection problem as they destroy the 'good' bacteria as well as any 'bad' bacteria.

These are some photos I've just taken of him ... don't look if your a bit squeamish.

If we can't get a handle on this I dread to think what the next few weeks are going to bring and I really don't want to think about the consequences.

If anyone has any suggestions please, please, let me know.

1374916958_Midge-1.jpg.7bc6d912a87862524123e8125ab12b9f.jpg

1715305870_Midge4.jpg.6b4c23bdd2503663031307ab3b204d87.jpg

800324485_Midge2.jpg.17cdfd127a338c987f9fee532a2082e8.jpg

1454542915_Midge3.jpg.19242241593827f3ae65a26b9d494d9b.jpg

Poor Midge. it is so annoying when you are doing all you can, and more no doubt to help him and nothing seems to work.

My heart goes out to you both, wish I could wave a magic wand for you.

Is there any natural remedies to help fight a yeast infection that you could try? I will consult my herbal remedy book when I get home see if there is anything.

J.

Hi Mel. So sorry to see Midge is still suffering with the infection, He looks quite sad in the Pic's. I was wondering if a product I use for very dry skin,would help, It has worked for me. It's called Aqueous you can buy it in most chemists less than £2 for a very large tub, Try googling it to see if it is suitable for dogs. Hope this helps, Ria.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Midge the Squidge ...

The yeast infection on his feet has virtually gone though, which is great, I'm just about managing to keep on top of it and the black 'crusty' infection so that he can potter about a bit. I used some athlete's food spray but he didn't like that as it was quite cold so we then moved onto a power 'puff type' spray instead which seems to have done the trick on his feet at least.

He finished his Antirobe antibiotics about 10 days ago, as the antibiotics are supposed to help with his black infection but they can make the yeast infection worse, we thought we'd see how he got on without them. His black infection actually hasn't got any worse at all, if anything it's cleared up a bit, but he's got some yeast infection on his legs now - can't seem to win!

He's also keeps having what I would call a "tantrum" - stomping about on his bean-bag, biting at his blanket and throwing it around and having a really got 'shout' and whinge. This can go on for 5 minutes or more when he's in full swing! I put some of it down to being totally p*ssed off and frustrated as he appears to be feeling a bit better but obviously can't go out and about like the others, althogh he does get several walks in the field each week on the soft grass to keep him from seizing up completely but with his feet being still quite tender I can't take him out too much. I did take him to my Mum's yesterday who lives in a first floor flat and before I knew it the little s*d had managed to climb up the stairs! He's not daft ... he knows my Mum always gives him treats!

Unfortunately he's now developed what are called 'lesions', he had a few before and the vet thought it might be a ringworm infection so we've been treating him with some drops which have helped but not cleared it up so we think they were just keeping them at bay rather than being the correct 'cure' for them. These lesions are quite common in horses with Cushings though so it looks like it might be some thing to do with that again.

The daft thing is that the Cushings generally is being controlled 'excellently' (vet's own words) by the medication, which is why the Squidge is more lively that he was so if we can get to the bottom of the infection/lesions we might, just might, be able to get him a bit of 'quality' time, I'd love for him to be able to have a potter normally ... hopefully by the time we go to the Peterborough show he'll be on the mend a bit ... I know he won't be cured, but I would live him to enjoy himself a bit.

Ohgrandma - unfortunately it's not dry skin that's the problem, we actually have to have his skin as dry as possible to prevent the moisture making the yeast infection worst ... but then the lesions could do with some soothing cream to stop them being sore ... its an absolute nightmare trying to work out what to do for best. We've been using some zinc based nappy rash cream which seems to have helped a bit.

We are concerned that his 'tantrums' might be to do with his liver function, especially since he 'whines' sometimes for no apparent reason (ie he's not in pain) its hard enough having to listen to him and try to calm him down normally but trust me when he starts doing this in the middle of the night it ain't funny and he can be VERY loud indeed .. thank goodness we're detached! So we took him to the vet yesterday morning and she's put him on some broad spectrum antibiotics to see if that sorts out the lesions and we're also taking him back next week for his liver enzyme blood test, his enzymes were originally totally in orbit (over 1000) which is way too high but they have come down according to his last 2 tests, to 800, then around 600, but they could still be sending him a bit 'scatty' - if the liver isn't taking all the nasty toxins out of his system it could be affecting his brain. We've had a very senile dog before and know what it means when they go a bit loopy, hopefully we're wrong and it is just him getting really cheesed off and frustrated that he can't do more especially since he's still eating pretty well, which our 'senile' dog didn't do. Midge has his good and bad days as you'd expect, but he's still fighting on and so are we.

I'll let you know how we go at the vets tomorrow.

:-|

Hi Janine

I've never heard of Burns food - we do try to give Midge a healthy diet with lots of chicken etc, but whilst he's poorly we have to give him whatever we can get into him at times and that includes tinned hotdogs!! Yes I know, not good but if that's all he'll eat when he's feeling yucky then so be it.

I've dropped Burns an email asking them for advice about which of their products would be suitable, there are local stockists for the food so getting it isn't a problem but obviously I don't want to give him one that's not suitable for him so I'll see what they say.

As for the skin problem, the vet did suggest that we could go down the route of doing a skin biopsy if we wanted but that it would mean an anaesthetic which I certainly don't want to give him at the moment, too risky, so we'll try other things first.

Thanks for the info.

Slightly off topic but our Pepsie, wirehaired terrier, has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma, she is 15 yrs of age

No cure just life extension, there are three options

Do nothing = Two to Three months

Tablets = Three to six months

Intravienous = Up to one year

She has started the third option this morning, has to have four sessions

Lee is very unhappy about it all, keeps saying "It's not fair"

Archived